3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Camera Resources Thread, Thinking about which camera to get? Click.
sadolakced acid
post Jun 11 2007, 03:07 AM
Post #26

dripping destruction

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 21,929

yea, i heard that 50 mm was a real sweet piece of glass.

i like doing macro work a lot; so a macro lens will probably be my first non-kit lens, but the 400 bucks for the 50 is making me think the 35 might be for me.

i've been using my 40-150, which is pretty sharp for a kit lens, for my marco stuff right now. get an alright mag, but nothing compared to what a real marco lens should deliver.

if you do get that 35, drop me a line and tell me how it compares to the 50, could you?

misoshiru
post Oct 26 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #27

yan lin♥

Member No: 13,627

you should add to the DSLR
the Panasonic DMC-L1K and the Panasonic DMC-L10K
both on this page:
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electro...000000000005702

I want the L1 so badly.

hi-res
post Nov 11 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #28

yes......and?

Member No: 94,410

QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ Jun 11 2007, 03:07 AM) *
yea, i heard that 50 mm was a real sweet piece of glass.

i like doing macro work a lot; so a macro lens will probably be my first non-kit lens, but the 400 bucks for the 50 is making me think the 35 might be for me.

i've been using my 40-150, which is pretty sharp for a kit lens, for my marco stuff right now. get an alright mag, but nothing compared to what a real marco lens should deliver.

if you do get that 35, drop me a line and tell me how it compares to the 50, could you?

I haven't purchased the 35mm yet but I did get a chance to try it out. It's sweeeet. I actually slightly prefer it over my 50mm lens.

Simba
post Nov 11 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #29

Photoartist

Member No: 399,390

Mmm... Any of you new mods wanna fill the new (and future) entries for me, please?

canonsx100
post Dec 25 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #30

Group: Member
Member No: 603,939

it is my favorite digital camera
http://www.canonsx100.com

eyelashwishes
post Jan 5 2008, 04:14 PM
Post #31

Member No: 512,470

the Canon S3 IS is already on the list, but what about the S5?

Canon Powershot S5 IS

MissHygienic
post Jan 5 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #32

Resource Center Tyrant

Group: Official Member
Member No: 593,306

Nikon D1X is my God. Very, very pricey, but damn, it can take some amazing pictures. It's about $1,300, depending on where you get it.

Luna5
post Jan 11 2008, 01:24 PM
Post #33

Member No: 278,251

QUOTE(MissHygienic @ Jan 5 2008, 07:19 PM) *
Nikon D1X is my God. Very, very pricey, but damn, it can take some amazing pictures. It's about $1,300, depending on where you get it.

My Dad just bought a new a Nikon he won't even let me touch it. He gave me his old digital camera. Nikons are the best. He bought a D10 I think it's not a pricey one but they are still a lot of money. But worth it.

canonsx100
post Jan 11 2008, 03:14 PM
Post #34

Member No: 603,939

CANON A650

kryogenix
post Feb 9 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #35

Sarcastic Mr. Know-It-All

Member No: 29

KRYO PICKS CAMERAS WORK IN f**kING PROGRESS

CHEAP AND SMALL SHIT

This section applies to you if:
  • You want a very portable camera
  • You don't really care about photography but want decent image quality anyway

Price: $<200-~$400
  • Canon Powershot SD series is king here. Look for one with image stabilization to counter your Parkinson's. Also if you're a little more serious, Canon A series works too if you don't want an itty bitty camera, and you get some manual controls with them too in case you want to dabble in more serious photography.
  • Panasonic DMC-FX/LX series are fine too. Especially if you can get one with image stabilization and a Leica branded lens. You don't get a lens made that's actually made by Leica, but at least you can technically say you use a Leica to impress your friends that watched Eurotrip, even though it's just a rebranded Panasonic.
INTERMEDIATE SHIT

• You want a more "serious" camera while being moderately portable
  • You're considering taking photography a little more seriously than taking myspace/pictures, but aren't ready to spent a billion dollars on equipment

Price: $<300-~$600

High end point and shoot. These are pretty much like your regular point and shoot cameras, except that they're usually nicer. Usually bigger sensor, nicer lens and more manual features that give you more creative control over your pictures.
  • Canon G series. Like a point and shoot, except you have a flash hotshoe on top and more manual controls.
  • There are others like the Ricoh GR Digital series and Sigma DP-1, but they're expensive/specialized cameras that most likely would not be of interest to people here. Also the DP-1 kinda sucks.
Bridge cameras. People often confuse these for SLRs. The difference is they are usually smaller, do not use a mirror reflex system (which is why they are smaller), have a smaller sensor, and have a fixed lens. These are cool if you want a camera that looks and feels like an SLR. They usually have long zoom ranges that stretch to very long focal lengths.
  • Canon S*IS series. S5IS has a hotshoe for a flash, previous Canon S series don't have it.
  • Fujifilim S series. S100FS has a nice lens with 14.3x zoom. Improved dynamic range for better colors too.
  • Panasonic FZ series. Monster 18x zoom range, and again, Leica badged lens so you can brag the next time you watch Eurotrip.
SLRs

SLR cameras are the "professional" looking cameras that people drool over. The biggest advantage is that they use a mirror reflex system to allow you to see through the lens. There are plenty of advantages to this. Instead of a separate viewfinder that introduces parralax error on non SLR cameras, you see what the lens sees. You can fine tune focus and see depth of field. If you don't know what any of this means, you're in the wrong section. Seriously, save your money and buy a cheaper camera if you're too lazy to read about the topic.

I'm too lazy to do this section in depth. If you have no idea what you're looking for, chances are you probably aren't ready for an SLR.

• You wanna be a cool kid with an SLR
  • You want a lot of manual control over your images
  • You've used a camera before, understand things like aperture, shutter speed
  • You've got money to blow on lenses and other equipment
DO NOT BUY AN SLR IF:
  • You're expecting it to be cheap
  • You're a clumsy f**k who drops their stuff all the time
  • You're just going to keep it in automatic mode all the time
  • You're a pussy and are dependent on composing an image on a rear LCD screen. Learn to use the viewfinder f****t. DSLR viewfinders are usually smaller and darker than their film counterparts as well. Deal with it.

UNDERSTAND THIS:Every major SLR (even Olympus and Sony) is a big step up from the cameras in the categories listed before here. The choice of camera here becomes less important, in comparison to your technique and choice of lens. A nice camera is useless if you don't understand how to use the creative control functions. And a cheap camera with nice lenses will take better pictures than an expensive camera with bad lenses.

CHEAP CONSUMER SLRS
  • Pentax K200D series. Nice camera, KAF mount accepts pretty much all Pentax lenses, so you can use a lot of old equipment with it. Built in image stabilization. Low price and plenty of bang for the buck. Pentax is a small company with not a lot of new glass coming out very often, so if you're poor, want a full featured SLR and don't plan on many lenses, this is a good camera for you. If you're too poor, there's always the K100D Super/K100D/K110D (in decreasing order of quality).
  • Canon Rebel Series (or 3 digit series). XSi just announced, meaning XTi and XT are going to drop in price. These cameras are tiny, so if you have big hands, you might want to buy a battery grip or find a bigger camera instead of these.
  • Nikon D40/x. Can use old Nikon lenses, but won't be able to use automatic features with them. Honestly, I don't like it (Nikon higher end cameras are much better, it just seems to me like this one cut too many corners), but some people like how it fits in their hands better than the Canon Rebel series (it's hard to take good picture if you're uncomfortable holding the camera), so I'm including it here. I think you're better off seeing if you can get your hands on a D50 instead, but good luck since it's discontinued. I suppose a D70 is fine too.
SEMI PRO SLRs
  • Pentax K10D/Samsung GX-10. This camera is often overlooked and underrated, and I'm not sure why. Relatively inexpensive. Awesome camera for the price. Not as good as Canon or Nikon mid range, but it is better in some ways. And it's definitely better than Canon/Nikon's low end consumer cameras, without being much more expensive (sometimes, for a lower price). It has built in image stabilization. The camera body is weather sealed, so you can take it to a dusty or wet environment if you have a weather sealed lens to go with it. All in all, highly recommended if you want a cheap, good camera to get into SLRs with that will last you a while before you outgrow it. Also, K20D/GX-20 is coming out soon.
  • Nikon D80. Don't take my word for it. Ask the guy who started this thread. Very robust features. Or if you have more money, buy the D200 or D300.
  • Canon 40D. I really don't know what to say other than it's a good camera that is a minor improvement over the 30D, which was also a great camera. Has live preview on the LCD, which is probably the biggest upgrade from the 30/20D cameras.
There are other SLRs out there, like the D300 (which is pure sex), Canon 5D (full frame sex) and the pro range D1/D2 and EOS-1D series, but chances are, if you're looking at this post for advice, you don't want those cameras.

Good game, f****t.

Simba
post Feb 13 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #36

Photoartist

Member No: 399,390

QUOTE(kryogenix @ Feb 9 2008, 12:41 PM) *
There are other SLRs out there, like the D300 (which is pure sex), Canon 5D (full frame sex) and the pro range D1/D2 and EOS-1D series, but chances are, if you're looking at this post for advice, you don't want those cameras.
dribble.gif

Nicely put, Kryo.

cybersomeone
post Mar 15 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #37

Member No: 630,888

lol i actually don't want to buy a new camera .. but I was just passing

by and had a thought of posting something here .. so I have a Fuji Film

Fine pix ... but I'm not really into Fujifilm .. you cant always get

what you want .. I recently saw the Sony OX series i think .. u know ..

the orange OX logo ... seems a nice serie .. well after all its Sony .

Canon is also a very competitive challenger .. Pentax is the kind of

brand for the old camera's that are still used now .. the manual

ones ... I don't really like digital cameras .. I feel they are made

for the people that "aren't into photographing" .. they just want to

keep a picture of nice memories .. I don't know what do they call the

big cameras .. the ones that are usually manuals ... i dunno ... the

ones where u can adjust the zoom by just turning the lens .. a long

lens. So Canon Sony Pentax own the market ... all the Pentax series are

very rare to be found .

shoryuken
post Apr 2 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #38

Member No: 585,858

me gott webcamm but dunnoo wth webcamm at rite now.. shrug.gif

wat realli cheapp WEBCAM..?

webbcamm eazy 2 hookk upp orr wat..?

TiffanyFactorial
post May 25 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #39

We're Over 9,000!!!1!

Group: Human
Member No: 352,435

kryo/iwanthugs's post was a masterpiece. hahaha don't forget to add the new addition to the nikon family: NIKON D60. I have it :D it's got the same body as the D40 and is identical to the D40x but has a built in stop-motion program. totally useless if you have sony vegas or any other video editing program..or even imageready.

iSbl
post Jun 7 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #40

"Because destiny, John, is a fickle bitch."

Member No: 596,907

This is very helpful!
Although I would also recommend my Nikon Coolpix 8700

For more info: http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/revi...oolpix_8700.php

shoryuken
post Jun 7 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #41

Member No: 585,858

ANYYY fukkenn $50 cammuraa orr weebbcamm.. JEEZZ SHIETT

y alll daa cummurraa alll maddd $$ cry.gif cry.gif

showw princc summ pixx denn prrincc makee VIDD.. eyebrowes.gif

DoubleJ
post Jun 9 2008, 11:40 AM
Post #42

The Resident Drunk

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 593,266

Nikon COOLPIX S51

What about that camera guys?

Tung
post Aug 28 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #43

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

I have a Nikon Coolpix. They are decent.

Tung
post Aug 28 2008, 02:36 PM
Post #44

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

f**k f**k WHY IS THIS TOPIC KEEP GETTING BUMPED. >_____>

edit: wtf. his post dissapeared again. mellow.gif

medic
post Sep 30 2008, 09:11 AM
Post #45

Seoul Rocks!

Member No: 155,811

Canon EOS 5D Mark II is out next month people! Talk about "PURE sex". Also, the new 50D should be out towards the end of October as well, which I still don't know anything about LOL.

I personally just bought a EOS 1D MKIII and played with a display version of the 5D Mark II. Let me tell you all, if you have that kind of money and don't need a large FPS, get the Mark II. It's such an amazing camera, and the one I played with didn't even have the newest firmware or anything, it was a "beta" model.

UNDERSTAND THIS:Every major SLR (even Olympus and Sony) is a big step up from the cameras in the categories listed before here. The choice of camera here becomes less important, in comparison to your technique and choice of lens. A nice camera is useless if you don't understand how to use the creative control functions. And a cheap camera with nice lenses will take better pictures than an expensive camera with bad lenses.

There is no such thing as a cheap lens, only cheap glass. The kit lens that comes with all the lower end Canon dSLR's is a "cheap" lens but takes absolutely fantastic pictures. I have thousands in lenses (Canon 70-200 IS F/2.8L, 400 mm F/2.8L and so on) but I am still surprised with what quality my Tamron and Sigma lenses take pictures at, but they are defined by the market as cheap lenses.

As for the functions, you can use automatic functions and still come out with amazing pictures that look 1,000 times better than anything a point and shoot camera can take. It all depends on the situation, sports you need custom functions, taking pictures of family you could get away with a auto function setting. I have accidentally left my camera on auto functions (My old Rebel XT) and it took fantastic photos.

bumbumx3
post Jan 19 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #46

beee-otch :)

Member No: 393,724

I got the Canon Rebel XSi a couple months ago and I love it :)
I've played around with other DSLRs (like Nikon d70s, canon rebel xt and xti), and
the canon xsi is amazing.

fixtatik
post Mar 28 2009, 03:39 AM
Post #47

Member No: 648,123

i hate the XSi; it's a complete turn-off for those using any other canon DSLR. the switch from compact flash to SD was just a marketing trend to grab people from cheap point-and-shoots.

and this thread really needs to be updated. those are some old cameras on the list.

medic
post Jul 11 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #48

Seoul Rocks!

Member No: 155,811

QUOTE(fixtatik @ Mar 28 2009, 02:39 AM) *
i hate the XSi; it's a complete turn-off for those using any other canon DSLR. the switch from compact flash to SD was just a marketing trend to grab people from cheap point-and-shoots.

and this thread really needs to be updated. those are some old cameras on the list.

The XSi is total crap if you ask me, I will stick to my 40D and 50D. I hate the lower end Canon DSLR's. I am sick and tired of people asking me how to use them. If you buy a DSLR, please read the manual...... PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

I wish they would just fork out the extra cash and get a somewhat higher end used DSLR, like a 20D or a 30D.

Oh and to all those who are thing more megapixels make the camera better, unless you are blowing up pictures beyond belief you don't need it.

*makeup-teddy*
post Sep 30 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #49

just bought :3

manny-the-dino
post Oct 1 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #50

Group: Administrator
Member No: 498,468

^ ohmy.gif Is it as good as it seems?

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: