Reply to this topicStart new topic
Harry Potter..., the aftermath more than half a year later
missnh
post Apr 1 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #1

Miss DIY

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 11,294

Anyways, I just restarted re-reading Harry Potter. After reading the last book, it was very, very difficult for me to pick up the first book again so close to reading Deathly Hallows but now I've decided it's time again! It's quite an embarassing / humiliating experience to read during class, since I laugh out loud and almost cry... But it's definitely worth it to go read over those random details that suddenly make sense.

*tears* What has your experience been with the whole "aftermath"?

superstitious
post Apr 1 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #2

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

I find myself irrationally screaming "Moony NOOOOOO!" sometimes, but since I've already been through the heartbreak that is Sirius Black, I hold my head high.

brooklyneast05
post Apr 1 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #3

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

I f**kING LOVE HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!

Comptine
post Apr 1 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Sing to Me

Group: Member
Member No: 10,808

^ Lol. Me too.

I didn't bring any of the books with me to college but the last book was very iffy for me.

Dumbledore's past definitely was very touching.
So were all the unexpected deaths.

Yet, I hated the epilogue.

I also hate that Rowling spontaneously comes out and say that Dumbledore was gay.

shadowfax
post Apr 1 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #5

Padfoot

Member No: 50,413

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 1 2008, 09:57 PM) *
WTF.

Anyway, I have to read the series all over again. Details are becoming a little fuzzy. Which reminds me, time to watch LOTR again as well. I'll become a little more crazy once the promos for the sixth movie are out. Let's just hope it's longer than the 5th one.

Flaunted
post Apr 2 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #6

<3<3<3<3

Member No: 3,779

So basically i'm doing the same except i can't get myself to finish the 2nd book XDDD hahaha. I love the series <33

Gigi
post Apr 2 2008, 02:28 AM
Post #7

in a matter of time

Member No: 191,357

Actually, I immediately started re-reading from the first book after I finished the last one. Awesomeness. It's great to refresh your memory on the books...even now, after reading each book on average 3 times, I can't remember it all. I think I'll reread it again.

"Aftermath"...it's been good. I have suffered from any post-HP traumatic symptoms, thank God. I think it's interesting, though, to see how the books have changed since the first one. It's incredible how different the first and last books are.

freeridefight
post Apr 2 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #8

mercenary on call

Member No: 447,606

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 1 2008, 09:57 PM) *

I have never seen you express so much emotion

I have to start over because the details are getting fuzzy. The books are much better than the movies anyway

heyo-captain-jac...
post Apr 2 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #9

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Group: Official Member
Member No: 602,927

Once I got to the 5th book it kinda started to suck.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 1 2008, 08:57 PM) *

I wouldn't believe you said that if somebody just told me.

brooklyneast05
post Apr 2 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #10

I'm Jc

i love harry potter. thumbsup.gif

shoryuken
post Apr 2 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #11

Member No: 585,858

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 2 2008, 09:54 PM) *
i love harry potter. thumbsup.gif

... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ....

umm.. me gittaa chekk da out.. HAHAH

brooklyneast05
post Apr 2 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #12

I'm Jc

QUOTE(PrIncEoFSeXaPpeAL @ Apr 2 2008, 09:59 PM) *
... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ....

umm.. me gittaa chekk da out.. HAHAH

have you read the books or watched the movies?

ersatz
Post #13

Ms. Granger

Member No: 165,238

Anyone think it's weird that they're splitting up the seventh one rather than the sixth one?

I think there's a lot more to fit in the sixth; I don't know how they're going to do it. A large part of the seventh was just them walking through the hills and teleporting places which, really, they could skip over a bit of...

shoryuken
Post #14

Member No: 585,858

movi.. chamba.. n sorcere or w/e da calll.. shrug.gif

brooklyneast05
post Apr 2 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #15

I'm Jc

QUOTE(PrIncEoFSeXaPpeAL @ Apr 2 2008, 10:00 PM) *
movi.. chamba.. n sorcere or w/e da calll.. shrug.gif

did you like them?

The-March-Hare
post Apr 2 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #16

James killed the radio star.

Member No: 589,855

QUOTE(ersatz @ Apr 3 2008, 04:00 AM) *
Anyone think it's weird that they're splitting up the seventh one rather than the sixth one?

I think there's a lot more to fit in the sixth; I don't know how they're going to do it. A large part of the seventh was just them walking through the hills and teleporting places which, really, they could skip over a bit of...

I know what you mean, but think of the detail they can put into the action sequences this way... The wedding, the bank, the battle! Gonna be wicked!

Sigh... I reread not too long ago, but might again... probably over the summer.

freeridefight
post Apr 2 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #17

mercenary on call

Member No: 447,606

QUOTE(A-Tumour-Named-Marla @ Apr 2 2008, 11:07 PM) *
I know what you mean, but think of the detail they can put into the action sequences this way... The wedding, the bank, the battle! Gonna be wicked!

Sigh... I reread not too long ago, but might again... probably over the summer.

yeah. maybe split both of them? _unsure.gif
the 7th movie better rock or I will be pissed as hell. If they dont put every single battle in it I will stand up and scream in the theatres.
most of the movies sucked anyway.

Gigi
post Apr 2 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #18

in a matter of time

QUOTE(ersatz @ Apr 2 2008, 08:00 PM) *

I think it is a bit weird, since a lot of it could be omitted. Not that I didn't enjoy reading it, but it's not totally necessary for the movie. I hate it when HP fans say things like "OMG THE MOVIE SUX CUZ THEY LEFT OUT ___ AND ___ AND ____"...shit, if every single moment was captured on the film, you'd have an 8 hour movie on your hands. Books simply cannot be translated into film seamlessly and people need to accept that.

Anyway, I think the 6th one could have been split up as well, but since they've already filmed/in the process of filming the 6th movie, they can't split it up now. And it would've been weird to split up the 6th one, yet let the 7th one be one movie...it seems more final this way.

absinthe
post Apr 2 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #19

GD. <3

Member No: 198,566

I was truly enraged by what a piece of crap HP 7 turned out to be. The whole series was shot to hell after HP 4.

ersatz
post Apr 2 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #20

Ms. Granger

Member No: 165,238

QUOTE(gigiopolis @ Apr 2 2008, 10:26 PM) *
I think it is a bit weird, since a lot of it could be omitted. Not that I didn't enjoy reading it, but it's not totally necessary for the movie. I hate it when HP fans say things like "OMG THE MOVIE SUX CUZ THEY LEFT OUT ___ AND ___ AND ____"...shit, if every single moment was captured on the film, you'd have an 8 hour movie on your hands. Books simply cannot be translated into film seamlessly and people need to accept that.

Anyway, I think the 6th one could have been split up as well, but since they've already filmed/in the process of filming the 6th movie, they can't split it up now. And it would've been weird to split up the 6th one, yet let the 7th one be one movie...it seems more final this way.

I just get mad when they change certain details unnecessarily ... and the fifth one made me mad, just cause they left SOOOOO much out, and it was short, and I think it will make it confusing for people who haven't read the books when they see the last two (pending they leave it all in). I really don't know what they can chop out of the sixth while still making it all coherent. All that stuff Harry and Dumbledore did...I don't know how in the world they're gonna do it all.

missnh
post Apr 2 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #21

Miss DIY

Member No: 11,294

J.K. Rowling has gone crazy, now that she has no more Harry Potter in her life.

Melissa
post Apr 3 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #22

;)

Group: Duplicate
Member No: 3,760

For anyone who hasn't, READ the parody of the 7th book:

http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com/2007/0...a-spoilers.html

So, so, so funny.

*yrrnotelekktric*
post Apr 3 2008, 01:18 AM
Post #23

QUOTE(ersatz @ Apr 2 2008, 09:19 PM) *
I just get mad when they change certain details unnecessarily ... and the fifth one made me mad, just cause they left SOOOOO much out, and it was short, and I think it will make it confusing for people who haven't read the books when they see the last two (pending they leave it all in).

Seriously. My sister (who doesn't read harry potter) watched the 5th movie and had no idea what was going on through most of it. I don`t mind that they take things out (albiet very minimal things) but to change certain things for no reason is just not cool.

Gigi
post Apr 3 2008, 01:36 AM
Post #24

in a matter of time

I watched the 5th movie with my brother (who is a self-proclaimed Harry Potter hater, and yes, I did have to drag him into the movie theatre lol), and he understood everything relatively well. Mind you, he did watch the 4 other movies, and I had to remind him of some of the minor facts (e.g. Who's the big hairy guy again?). More importantly, though, he actually enjoyed the movie, regardless of not really understanding some parts.

The problem I have with the book to movie translation is that the book does a lot of explanation. The books focus on Harry, who finds increasingly more clues to whatever challenges he's facing at the moment, and he explains his new findings to his friends. This works pretty well in a book, and it's not boring or repetitive. But if these same scenes were reworked into a movie, it would exactly that. They would have made the same mistake that The Da Vinci Code movie made. So, to me, it's acceptable to omit some parts - they are not all entirely workable, and I understand that.

However it annoys me to no end when they change stuff. REALLY. Just get rid of it or be true to the book. Like, when they made Neville give Harry the Gillyweed instead of Dobby. COME ON. That was dumb. And some other instances in which I can't remember right now.

Joanne
post Apr 3 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #25

Member No: 95,404

I watched the 5th movie before reading the book, and I got a bit confused. Not confused enough to not understand the movie at all, but I had to ask my friend a billion questions during it.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: