Reply to this topicStart new topic
Abusing Chicks
karmakiller
post Sep 1 2009, 06:28 PM
Post #1

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Group: Mentor
Member No: 384,020

This is so sad, but I won't give up my poultry or my eggs.

An animal rights group publicized a video Tuesday showing unwanted chicks being tossed alive into a grinder at an Iowa plant and accused egg hatcheries of being "perhaps the cruelest industry" in the world.

[..]

The video, shot with a hidden camera and microphone by a Mercy for Animals employee who got a job at the plant, shows a Hy-Line worker sorting through a conveyor belt of chirping chicks, flipping some of them into a chute like a poker dealer flips cards.

These chicks, which a narrator says are males, are then shown being dropped alive into a grinding machine.

In other parts of the video, a chick is shown dying on the factory floor amid a heap of egg shells after falling through a sorting machine. Another chick, also still alive, is seen lying on the floor after getting scalded by a wash cycle, according to the video narrator.

Mercy for Animals estimated 200 million male chicks are killed a year, which the United Egg Producers also confirmed.

"There is, unfortunately, no way to breed eggs that only produce female hens," Head said. "If someone has a need for 200 million male chicks, we're happy to provide them to anyone who wants them. But we can find no market, no need."

Using a grinder, Head said, "is the most instantaneous way to euthanize chicks."
If I was an employee, I wouldn't be able to throw live chicks into a grinding machine or scald them :( There has to an easier, less cruel way to go about it.

dilligrout
post Sep 1 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #2

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 597,269

That is really saddening and sadistic.. but your right.. I don't think I would even be able to give up poultry or eggs unless I absolutely had to.

*Janette*
post Sep 15 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #3

Wait where's the video? Part of the reason why I don't eat eggs. sad.gif

synapse
post Sep 15 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #4

Live long and prosper.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 514,926

oh man. I was skimming. I thought it said they threw the chicks into a grinder. chicks as slang for young girl teenages.

gojira
post Sep 15 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #5

◕ ◡ ◕

Group: Official Member
Member No: 416,697

when i read the title of this topic, i was excited to read about women getting beat up

sixfive
post Sep 15 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #6

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 653,768

hope theyre fat chicks.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: