Resource Center Links

This Month's Contests | Hosts Looking for Hostees | Hostees looking for Hosts | Big Book of Resources

Submission Guidelines

Reply to this topicStart new topic
MySpace 3.0
xcameronscottx
post Aug 13 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 761,961

I work as a freelance designer and most of my work comes from bands that need MySpace layouts done. I've heard that a lot of the 3.0 coding will be like 2.0 (Custom CSS is apparently in Beta testing) and am currently in the process of learning 2.0 coding to keep myself updated, just in case 3.0 isn't optional (which from what I've read, it isn't). I've also read there will be the implementation of "HTML Box" modules, but I'm not sure if those would be usable to create layouts in combination with the custom CSS.

So what have you heard about MySpace 3.0 and how do you think it will affect the site as a whole?

schizo
post Aug 13 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #2

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 506,205

I think it's going to force a lot of Myspace layout makers to quit. I already had my mind set to quit a couple months ago, but the announcement of 3.0 sealed the deal. I'm not going to waste my time making designs that constantly need massive edits to accomodate all their changes. Not many people use Myspace anymore anyway.

I saw a screenshot of it the other day. Nothing particularly mind blowing. Instead wasting their time on a new design, they should really focus on making what they already have better...like making it possible to block event invitations. I'm so sick of those.

xcameronscottx
post Aug 13 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #3

Member No: 761,961

Yeah, to me, it just seems like they're trying way too hard to be Facebook. However, this 3.0 business has created quite a stir and Facebook isn't nearly as popular as it was earlier in the year, so who knows what'll happen. As for the designing aspect, I'm going to be taking the necessary precautions to soften the impact of 3.0 (moving to a full website, creating more of a print/identity based portfolio) just in case it so happens that it can't be edited as easily and comfortably as previous band profiles. I had planned to do a lot of that eventually, but this is kind of forcing it into immediate action.

miguelS
post Aug 14 2010, 03:43 AM
Post #4

Group: Human
Member No: 682,308

A 3.0 CSS option, for personal profiles, is extremely unlikely at this moment.
There will be a 'theme editor' of sorts, however, with a some sort of feature to 'share' designs, as I understand it.
It'll be pretty funny when everyone gets converted, if they keep their word.
Of course all of this is still in beta, so don't jump in front of a train over my post.

For the bands, if they're allowed CSS (the extent to which the CSS is allowed matters as well, but that's another issue), it'll make designs much easier to make.
The side userbadge and the top blockquote can easily be removed, giving you a free canvas and as many HTML modules as you want.

heyo-captain-jac...
post Aug 14 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #5

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Group: Official Member
Member No: 602,927

I gave up on myspace layouts years ago, they change their code too much.

YDG
post Aug 26 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #6

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 670,288

MySpace is pretty much a lost cause now, a dead zone. They make way too many changes, and every change they make usually makes the website worse and the coding is just horrible. I wouldn't waste my time trying to learn more new coding, because I'm sure in the next six months, it will change again.

Butterface89
post Sep 25 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #7

Member No: 759,416

QUOTE(YDG @ Aug 26 2010, 11:07 AM) *
MySpace is pretty much a lost cause now, a dead zone. They make way too many changes, and every change they make usually makes the website worse and the coding is just horrible. I wouldn't waste my time trying to learn more new coding, because I'm sure in the next six months, it will change again.

It's weird but I agree with what you said. I looked at LoveMyFlash.com for example and their site still says "2.0 Versions Coming Soon"! They're trying to keep up with this every changing coding.

Bands on Myspace seem like they're breeding like cockroaches. I'm getting kind of tired of "new bands" thrown in my face when I log on there.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: