Closed TopicStart new topic
The CB Revolution, it has begun
sadolakced acid
post Apr 25 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #1

dripping destruction

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 21,929

now that the new moderators have been announced, it is time for the CB Revolution.

What It Is

The CB Revolution is a reform movement of sorts. The goal of the CB Revolution is to achieve certain changes in CB. These goals are to make CB a better place.

What The Goals Are

The goals of the CB Revolution are: (may change in time)

1. The addition of a suggestions forum. (implemented)
2. Having each forum have a mod that will check all threads and posts in that forum. (come on...)
3. The reform of the Moderation System; namely, a better system for denoting verbal warnings. (implemented)
4. The informing of members about changes. Suprises are nice- but if a change affects members greatly, it is better to have member imput. (not needed)

Why These Goals?

These are the goals fo the CB Revolution, with explinations on why they should become reality:

1. The addition of a suggestions forum.
The core of online communities are it's members. An online community can have good resources, and good administrators and staff, and yet, without members it is useless. Members often have the best ideas about things that will affect them- yet currently in CB, there is no way for these ideas to be submited, save PM or a topic lost in the forums. There is no dedicated forum where users may post an idea for CB they have, for the admin ,staff, and members to see if it's a good one. Many online communities have them, and they help with keeping the community on the track the members wish it to be.

2. Having each forum have a mod that will check all threads and posts in that forum.
CB is a large forum. There are many threads, and many more posts. Yet currently, it is possible for a thread, and even more probable a post, that never gets read by a moderator. Sure, there's the report for things like that. however; members have been told that before a mod will get the PM from the report, the topic or post will have been moderated already. This is evidently not happening. Sometimes whole forums are bypassed by mods for a few days. Every police department give's it's officers beats to walk, thus insuring everything is covered. Why should createblog be different? Like policemen, moderators cannot patrol all of CB. If all the policemen in a district went around in one big bus, they would be very ineffective. moderators should spread out, and thus better utilize thier numbers. There is no use for threads in the lounge to be looked over by four different moderators within it's first 30 minutes, while a thread in cars is overlooked for 3 days.

3. The reform of the Moderation System; namely, a better system for denoting verbal warnings.
This reform would be mainly backstage, and may already be done. A member may get 5 verbal warnings a day from 5 different mods, and never get a warning increase. This shouldn't happen; the second verbal should result in an actual. With this reform, this would happen. However, this isn't the only thing in the moderation system that should be changed. moderators should warn more freely- if the rules are let to slack too much, it is not good. of course, too strict isn't good either, but that's why there are verbal warnings.

4. The informing of members about changes. Suprises are nice- but if a change affects members greatly, it is better to have member imput.
Members do not enjoy being in the dark. Moreover, members would not know if they liked the change or not? why go through the trouble to have CB recoded (example) if the members don't like it? Of course, not everything should be announced ahead of time- but certain changes should, and member imput should be collected, as member imput is valuble.

How to support the CB Revolution

This is how to support the CB Revolution:

1. Declare your support in this thread.

2. Copy this code into your signature
CODE
[size=14][URL=http://www.createblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77726]I support the CB Revolution[/URL][/size]

3. design a banner for the CB Revolution, etc.

*basick*
post Apr 25 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #2

id rather support the free basick and jambajuice from clique band camp revolution

but you typed alot .. i thinks its frivolous but whatever .. do you... if this works then we can start the basick for entertainment_MOD campaign

HelloSunshine
post Apr 25 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #3

High Voltage!∞

Group: Official Member
Member No: 29,157

It's really nice of you to do this for CB. I mean, I can understand why you'd want to do this, but really I think it's more so up to the Admins. Your ideas are for the better, I can tell, and yes some of your ideas would help CB actually make a friendlier community. I appreciate how much you want CB to change thumbsup.gif

sammi rules you
post Apr 25 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #4

WWMD?! - i am from the age of BM 2

Group: Member
Member No: 8,848

justin....
don't talk about things you don't know about. kthx.

gigiopolis
post Apr 25 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #5

gigi =p

Member No: 41,206

Oh wow. I don't know what to say to that.

sadolakced acid
post Apr 25 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #6

dripping destruction

QUOTE(touch my monkey @ Apr 25 2005, 10:23 PM)
justin....
don't talk about things you don't know about. kthx.

and what do i not know about? CB? and who's fault would that be? mine? that i don't know about that?

why is it that members should be the second class?

there are some 30ish mods, and some 90K registered members, i'll give it 10K or so posting

there are some things that money can't buy. for everything else, there's mastercard.

(sorry. i don't mean to be mean, so that's to lighten it up a bit)

members have no say in anything- the thread about having 13 year olds and the law about them sending information and such was shuffled around a bit- why? becuase members have no place to imput.

that thread adressed a topic that was essential to the survival of CB. it adressed a legal issue, and if it's suggestion was not implimented CB could be shut down. yet where did it go? lounge, then debate, then lounge.

where would future suggestions go?

i think it's time members find thier voice.

((edit))
yes, CB is jusun's. but it is mine too. it is yours. it is all of ours, because if CB becomes a spam-garden, we will care. if CB is shut down because it violates some law, we will care. it is a community, so why cannot the community take part?

*basick*
post Apr 25 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #7

u taking this too seriously ... lol... its just an online forum

sadolakced acid
post Apr 25 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #8

dripping destruction

no. it's an online community

sammi rules you
post Apr 25 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #9

WWMD?! - i am from the age of BM 2

Member No: 8,848

well, mods control cb. that's why they're mods. no, members don't have much say in what happens to cb. that's why they're members, and not mods. the best people that we think have the best ideas and can help most with cb are chosen as mods. (most of the time _dry.gif) deal with it. make yourself mod material, and maybe you'll have a say.

i'm so sick of people. stubborn.gif

miszSERENiTY
post Apr 25 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #10

Take advantage of me.

Member No: 43,792

ha I have the urge to say "get a life", but I`m not that mean.

sadolakced acid
post Apr 25 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #11

dripping destruction

bleh... i have no wish to be a mod. i don't have the time or dedication to moderate the entire community section. yet why do i need to be a mod to have a say?

so 30some people control 10k some others, with no imput from those 10k?
sounds like a plan to me.

i could get a life, and in fact i'm tempted to. instead of contributing to CB, i could quit and have a life.

DesperateXMeasur...
post Apr 25 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #12

I <3 profanity

Member No: 3,774

Give me a break man. It's a message board, you'll live.
Get a life or something.

gigiopolis
post Apr 25 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #13

gigi =p

QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ Apr 25 2005, 8:47 PM)
bleh... i have no wish to be a mod.  i don't have the time or dedication to moderate the entire community section.    yet why do i need to be a mod to have a say?
so 30some people control 10k some others, with no imput from those 10k? 
sounds like a plan to me.

i could get a life, and in fact i'm tempted to.  instead of contributing to CB, i could quit and have a life.

You know, it's not like we don't accept new suggestions or anything (like the Mod performance thread) and we're always open to suggestions by PM or w/e. And if enough people like the idea, or if it is truly reasonable, then why not enforce it?

The thing is, Justin, people don't like your idea. You had your say, you have PLENTY of say, but what is the use if the majority don't like it? You can't speak for EVERYONE just because your one idea isn't well received.

DesperateXMeasur...
post Apr 25 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #14

I <3 profanity

Member No: 3,774

QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ Apr 25 2005, 9:47 PM)
i could get a life, and in fact i'm tempted to.  instead of contributing to CB, i could quit and have a life.

Well then, sounds like a plan.
I'm sure you'll be dearly missed.

sadolakced acid
post Apr 25 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #15

dripping destruction

if that's what you think it's about gigi, then sure.

(( i actually did decide to quit. the reason i come to CB is the debate forum. right now, there are no worthy debates. there are none. i just wanted to go out like a torch, and maybe make CB a better place while i'm at it. ))

Just_Dream
post Apr 25 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #16

durian

Member No: 3,860

lol Sammi, when you say "mods control cB," it sounds as if we're dictators or something. Not that you meant it that way. tongue.gif

As for this issue, all I have to say about "cB changes" is that not much has changed. Perhaps the skins section and main page looks different, but why should it matter? It is STILL a community. Jusun--micron--is even having members participate in creating banners for the main page. Sure, thigns changed and members were allowed to submit banners in the past, but at least he still allows members to submit banners.

What you don't realize is that sure, there have been quite a few changes to cB, but overtime, things change. Sorry, but I just feel like these changes shouldn't have mattered because imho, I don't think much has changed. Perhaps "cB2," if that's what you're referring to about major changes, what you don't realize is that it would've probably taken a while to get 10k members (who actually post) to approve of something new. Not to mention that perhaps to many, there's the chance that they believe that cB2 isn't that big a change. All I'm saying is that there will always be change, it's something we can't help but succumb to. But hey, we all have different views.

As for the "suggestions" forum, a whole forum about suggestions? Okay so members would create numerous threads about many suggestions? Why not just have a thread for it? Just one thread, rather than a whole forum? Or maybe if a member has a suggestion, perhaps they should PM it to a moderator or admin?

Sorry, but it seems as if members NEVER had input on anything. But see, they do. Micron has made a few threads in the lounge, asking about signatures and whatnot.

As for the noobs thing, robb0, what you failed to mention was that regular members shoot down on newbies as well. Sure, moderators have warned a few, but ONLY as a last resort. Or rather, SHOULD be as a last resort. I've seen quite a few times when frequent members bash on newbies if they make a mistake.

"OMG YOU SPAMMED! DOUBLE POST! JFLDAJLFKS" Sometimes that's all a member would contribute to a thread if a newbie accidentally "double posted." I'm not directing this at anyone... But I've seen some members do that. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't classify moderators as the ones who seem to crack down on members.

This post has been edited by Just_Dream: Apr 25 2005, 11:09 PM

MrElsewhere
post Apr 25 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #17

Change Gon Come

Member No: 18,822

Can't say the man isn't passionate.

Change for the better is good. I'm not sure if your ideas will actually make cB a better place by a noticable margin.

*suddenly she*
post Apr 25 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #18

i can see your point, and i don't want to seem like i'm just siding with them for the heck of siding with them, but the mods do their best. a suggestions forum would cause a lot of controversy and conflict from people arguing whether an idea is good or not. if anyone has something to say to the mods or a suggestion, i know there's a pinned moderator performance whatever thread up there.. like gigi (sorry if that's not your name, i guessed) said, you can PM them if there's something wrong.

and i really think that if the mods made some serious changes, they'll know when it affects us or not, and they'll let us know.

if you really think about it, we do have a say. some crazy mod could be out there who wanted to completely whack up the design of this site, but that hasn't happened. one, because the majority of them are intelligent people (i'm not saying anything, i don't know any stupid mods and i don't expect one either), and two, because they know that we'll be affected by it. what they do and what they decide always has us as a factor in it (or so we hope. it certainly seems that way), so let's have some faith.

a job well done to any mod that passes by. we know you all work really hard to keep this place the way it is. _smile.gif flowers.gif

sadolakced acid
post Apr 25 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #19

dripping destruction

yes, a whole forum just for suggestions.

the bad ones no one posts in, and they fall. good ones stay at the top. and members get imput.

sure, i could PM a mod about these changes. what good would that do? the rest of the community can't shed thier opinons on it.

i'm not talking about CB2... i'm talking about some time way bad when, the look of CB was changed. members didn't like it, so it was changed back.

*suddenly she*
post Apr 25 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ Apr 26 2005, 12:20 AM)
sure, i could PM a mod about these changes.  what good would that do?  the rest of the community can't shed thier opinons on it. 

but is it necessary for an idea to always have opinions behind it? better to have mods look at the idea and think it through before sticking it out in public for support or ridicule.

i'm tired, so don't expect any more replies from me tonight. yawn.gif

Just_Dream
post Apr 25 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #21

durian

Member No: 3,860

QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ Apr 25 2005, 8:20 PM)
i'm not talking about CB2... i'm talking about some time way bad when, the look of CB was changed.  members didn't like it, so it was changed back.

Ah yes. But you see, members didn't like it, so it got changed back. So isn't the issue resolved?

yaamakoh
post Apr 25 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #22

Member No: 152

now isn't this drawing out all the attention to yourself? if you haven't noticed everything you said completely contracted your own prior point posted sado. good game.

largosama
post Apr 25 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #23

Happy Person

Member No: 4,674

I shall support points two and three, sir.
A suggestion forum would require three to go into action first tongue.gif However, it would seem that some mods don't "want" to moderate specific forums, and sadly support for such a forum is slim sad.gif

I would like to point out though, that verbal warnings do their job. Unless if you have someone that comes to the forum for the sole purpose of flame that is. What ruins the newbs more are the members that try to be a backseat mod and are picky about it.

Well I don't have much to say now past this

gigiopolis
post Apr 26 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #24

gigi =p

Just so you guys now, now there's a Verbal Warnings thread where the mods can post in telling others that certain members have been verbally warned. It is organized like the Oversized Signatures thread, and that is doing pretty well.

*wind&fire*
post Apr 26 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #25

^ can you link it?

[edit]

V oh right... didnt read it clearly

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: