2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Graduating Early
YDG
post May 8 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 670,288

So, I have been thinking about graduating high school early so I can get a jump start on college, and I have a week to get back to my counselor to make my final decision. What are your thoughts on graduating early? Do you think there will be any big disadvantages to it?

I'm trying to graduate early, and take my last two classes that I need in summer school, so I can go to school part time, and be able to take the management position I was offered at work. Your thoughts?

Tung
post May 8 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #2

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

you must really be shunned in highschool. savor your highschool years. even though i hated it, i overall still enjoyed the freedom that came in highschool.

datass
post May 9 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #3

(′ ・ω・`)

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 72,477

i would say that there's no hurry to go to college few years early. you'd miss your high school years.

tokyo-rose
post May 9 2010, 12:23 AM
Post #4

♡♡♡♡♡

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 108,478

QUOTE(YDG @ May 9 2010, 12:39 AM) *
I'm trying to graduate early, and take my last two classes that I need in summer school, so I can go to school part time, and be able to take the management position I was offered at work. Your thoughts?

Wait, are these two classes going toward your college credits? What grade are you in, and what will you attend college to major in? I think it would be better for you to finish high school normally, take core classes at a community college, and be a full-time college student. That would make everything simpler for you instead of having to deal with odd credit counts and paying fees that are different than what you would pay if going to school full-time.

Blyat
post May 9 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #5

Group: Official Member
Member No: 667,832

I don't think it really matters now does it?
When does highschool end? (Unless your a Junior now)

YDG
post May 9 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Tung @ May 9 2010, 12:49 AM) *
you must really be shunned in highschool. savor your highschool years. even though i hated it, i overall still enjoyed the freedom that came in highschool.

I don't really feel like I have much freedom being in high school. I actually feel like time constraints are my biggest enemy. Between school and my job, I have two hours of time in between. Yeah, everyone is telling me to savor my high school years, but I haven't enjoyed the past three years, and I don't see what staying another year would do, especially if my school is making it mandatory I take six classes when I only need two.

QUOTE(Cristy @ May 9 2010, 01:23 AM) *
Wait, are these two classes going toward your college credits? What grade are you in, and what will you attend college to major in? I think it would be better for you to finish high school normally, take core classes at a community college, and be a full-time college student. That would make everything simpler for you instead of having to deal with odd credit counts and paying fees that are different than what you would pay if going to school full-time.

The credits are going towards finishing out the credits I need to graduate high school. I'm a Junior, and I am still trying to decide what I want to go to college for, but it is between graphic or web designing, but I'm leaning more towards web. I have some college credits already done by taking AP classes here in high school. So being in school full-time would be much cheaper?

QUOTE(Uso @ May 9 2010, 11:37 AM) *
I don't think it really matters now does it?
When does highschool end? (Unless your a Junior now)

I'm a junior, so I would still have another school year on my plate.

brooklyneast05
post May 9 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #7

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i guess it depends on the type of person you are and the high school experience you've already had. i agree that if you haven't loved high school so far then why stay? senior year was never "OMG THE BEST TIME OF MY WHOLE LIFE!" so i can relate to just feeling like who gives a shit and moving on.

if you aren't going to actually enjoy that year and you don't have much of a reason to be there credit wise then why waste your time? you could be getting some core college classes out of the way and making money with more job hours. it seems more useful to spend the hours taking college classes that count for something rather than taking high school classes you don't need for the sake of filling up time. plus you're planning to go into a competitive field and it could help give you an extra advantage.

if you want to be more gangster and get rich or die trying then maybe you should get your hustle on and graduate early.

tokyo-rose
post May 9 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #8

♡♡♡♡♡

QUOTE(YDG @ May 9 2010, 12:13 PM) *
I don't really feel like I have much freedom being in high school. I actually feel like time constraints are my biggest enemy. Between school and my job, I have two hours of time in between. Yeah, everyone is telling me to savor my high school years, but I haven't enjoyed the past three years, and I don't see what staying another year would do, especially if my school is making it mandatory I take six classes when I only need two.

The credits are going towards finishing out the credits I need to graduate high school. I'm a Junior, and I am still trying to decide what I want to go to college for, but it is between graphic or web designing, but I'm leaning more towards web. I have some college credits already done by taking AP classes here in high school. So being in school full-time would be much cheaper?

All right, thanks for elaborating. I think that in your situation, it would make sense to graduate early. And no, it wouldn't necessarily be cheaper, but I can't say since I don't know where you want to take college classes, what the credit hour rates are, etc. You should look into being part-time vs. being full-time and calculate how much it would cost to do one or the other. What kind of job would you have? If you could get an internship doing web or graphic design then that would be good. Also, I agree with JC re:

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ May 9 2010, 01:10 PM) *
if you aren't
if you want to be more gangster and get rich or die trying then maybe you should get your hustle on and graduate early.

Blyat
post May 9 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #9

What would be the diffrerence For going to College early?
More time between your job?

tokyo-rose
post May 9 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #10

♡♡♡♡♡

QUOTE(Uso @ May 9 2010, 09:11 PM) *
What would be the diffrerence For going to College early?
More time between your job?

Read the other replies here and you'll find the answer. Basically, the OP doesn't enjoy high school, only needs two classes to graduate normally but would have to take six if he stays, and wants to work while taking the two classes he needs for his high school diploma (or GED, in this case?) over the summer.

YDG
post May 9 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #11

I'd still be getting my diploma, I'm just not going to walk or anything. After I finish summer school, I'll get my diploma in the mail pretty much. I was planning on taking online summer school classes, so I don't have to sit in the classroom for ten hours for five days a week. I would feel uncomfortable sitting in school for that long. And I was going to just drop back to weekends at work, and work eighteen hours. Then when I'm finished with summer school, go into management training and enroll in Spring classes at my community college to finish my basic core classes, then transfer to another college.

tokyo-rose
post May 9 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #12

♡♡♡♡♡

QUOTE(YDG @ May 9 2010, 09:41 PM) *
I was going to just drop back to weekends at work, and work eighteen hours. Then when I'm finished with summer school, go into management training and enroll in Spring classes at my community college to finish my basic core classes, then transfer to another college.

That sounds like a good plan to me. Just check out the part-time cost for your core classes and then go for it!

Tung
post May 9 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #13

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

damn u have no friends? lol

tokyo-rose
post May 9 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #14

♡♡♡♡♡

QUOTE(Tung @ May 9 2010, 11:14 PM) *
damn u have no friends? lol

Why do you keep harping on this? The OP already said he dislikes school because of the academic and social aspects, so not having many friends probably plays into that. He's asking for advice on graduating early, and you're not quite helping the situation. mellow.gif

Tung
post May 9 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #15

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

well, i use to hate my 1st year of highschool, because i was kinda of the nerdy loner type. but after i became more social and was active in school activities and what not, i loved it. see how it correlates and how i'm actually advising..

tokyo-rose
post May 10 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #16

♡♡♡♡♡

QUOTE(Tung @ May 10 2010, 12:27 AM) *
well, i use to hate my 1st year of highschool, because i was kinda of the nerdy loner type. but after i became more social and was active in school activities and what not, i loved it. see how it correlates and how i'm actually advising..

Then you should have elaborated from the start. If you read your previous posts here, some of them make you sound as though you're mocking him for not being social. You should make more replies like the one I'm quoting so that CB has a chance of becoming less of a fly-by posting forum. :)

YDG
post May 10 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Tung @ May 10 2010, 12:27 AM) *

I'm very anti-social in school, and I do not think I would see that changing if I were to stay next year, to be honest. I'm more social outside of school, but in school, I keep things to myself and don't really talk much.

tokyo-rose
post May 10 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #18

♡♡♡♡♡

QUOTE(YDG @ May 10 2010, 06:47 PM) *
I'm very anti-social in school, and I do not think I would see that changing if I were to stay next year, to be honest. I'm more social outside of school, but in school, I keep things to myself and don't really talk much.

Everything you've said makes it sound like it'd be better for you to graduate early, take the classes you need this summer, and work part-time. Then you could befriend your coworkers and be happier out of high school instead of staying in a place you dislike.

LittleMissSunshi...
post May 12 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #19

rawr?

Member No: 285,858

i want to graduate early, but i can't. i am moving to texas and i do not know nothing about the school system there. it is already going to be my senior year. so i'll go over summer and see. i believe that graduating early is a good thing, something i would like to do. if you want to attend prom and throw your cap in the air then go right ahead. but i feel that there is so much more parties and social gatherings in college that i'm pretty sure i won't even talk to half the kids i graduated with. i work too, on the weekends, i don't work on weekdays too, that would be too much for me since i am taking ap classes.

in your position, if you do not like high school, then go graduate early, but it's best for you to decide, because my opinion is what i want to do. do what you want to do, if you want to go graduate early then go ahead, if you just want to have a chill year then stay in high school. (: good luck!

iRapediCarly
post Jun 18 2010, 01:57 AM
Post #20

Member No: 745,302

wait, if you hate high school, how is college going to be any different? granted, there are differences and what not, but being you don't change your anti-social behavior by switching schools, unless your not anti-social in the first place

Maccabee
post Jun 18 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #21

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 593,382

I'll be graduation early. And then I'll be taking a year break, and possibly not going to college if I get a job that I'm training towards right now.

Tomates
post Jun 18 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #22

poison

Member No: 629,020

My mom graduated early from High School due to the fact she had enough credits when they were going to close her school.
She was telling me how much she wished she went through her last year of high school. She felt like she missed out on a lot even if it didn't seem like that to me. She also said that if she could go back she would want to do her senior year.

iRapediCarly
post Jun 18 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #23

Member No: 745,302

QUOTE(Maccabee @ Jun 18 2010, 11:42 AM) *
I'll be graduation early.

please don't

none345678
post Jun 18 2010, 11:36 PM
Post #24

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

f*ck graduating early. We all know the cool kids stay for an extra year.

Blyat
post Jun 19 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #25

Just saying if you do choose to graduate early, it'll be hard to go back if you end up thinking it was a bad idea.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: