Reply to this topicStart new topic
soul mates
brooklyneast05
post May 13 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #1

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

just because some cute girl likes the same bizzaro crap you do, that doesn’t make her your soul mate tom.

do you ever feel like this? if you find out someone likes some obscure thing you like that you assumed almost no one else in the world liked, does that make you fall for them or believe you were supposed to know them? does it drastically change how you feel or your interest in that person?

do you believe in soul mates? in a literal sense? broad sense? what is your view?

sixfive
post May 13 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 653,768

I don't. I don't believe in "the one" either. I believe that everyone has a degree of compatibility with others, and one's that people often mistake as "the one" are simply one of the rarer people with a higher degree of compatibility than others. If someone likes something obscure like me, it makes me wonder how they were brought up or what happened to make them like that. I see it as a rare coincidence and it instantly makes me more interested in the person, but I think it far from makes me think of them as a soul mate.

LittleMissSunshi...
post May 13 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #3

rawr?

Group: Official Member
Member No: 285,858

i don't believe in soul mates or best friends.. i believe in someone- anyone who is always there around you. it may not be the same person, cause it things happen. but if you do have someone who is always there, then that is great. but i would personally not consider them my soul mate or best friend.

Joanne
post May 13 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #4

Member No: 95,404

First off, LOVE the picture and quote you used. <3

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ May 13 2010, 07:25 PM) *
if you find out someone likes some obscure thing you like that you assumed almost no one else in the world liked, does that make you fall for them or believe you were supposed to know them? does it drastically change how you feel or your interest in that person?

It would pique my interest if I find out that somebody else has something in common with me, but I definitely would not fall in love with them simply because of that. Falling in love with a person for one thing seems kind of impossible to me -- it takes time for affections to grow. My opinion of people who fall in "love" over one or two things is that they're just in lust. Pardon the cliche, but I think they just like the idea of being in love. They like the romance and mystery(?) of it.

But yeah, on the changing how you feel/your interest in that person you share something unique with... definitely. I met a girl the other day who is as terrified of whales as me, and I have to admit that I enjoyed her company a lot more since finding out about it.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ May 13 2010, 07:25 PM) *
do you believe in soul mates? in a literal sense? broad sense? what is your view?

The way I see it, there is no such thing as a soul mate or "the one". It's highly unlikely (impossible, I'd say) that out of the 6 billion people in the world, there's only one that is "meant" for you. People fall in love with those who are conveniently close in proximity, and it is sheer luck that a person finds one person who works for them over another who'd fit just as well.

Sandraaa
post May 14 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #5

Member No: 485,356

Absolutely not. As it has been pointed out, it all comes down to compatibility. Although I sometimes wonder how incredibly wonderful it was for me meeting my fiancé. He knows some of my darkest secrets and thoughts, yet he accepts me. Many people won't. But like Serotonin said, he's been through a similar story.
I do not believe in 'the one'. What does that even mean? That there's only ONE person for someone out of the bazillion habitants of this planet? That's impossible. I do not believe in faith nor destiny. Every choice we make determines the outcome of our future.

sixfive
post May 14 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #6

Member No: 653,768

call me steven.

Sandraaa
post May 14 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #7

Member No: 485,356

Hi Steven ;)

smash
post Jun 1 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #8

f your couch

Group: Official Member
Member No: 491,301

i guess i believe in them but i don't think i'll have one. relationships need too much work to just be about finding a soulmate imo. does that make sense?

karmakiller
post Jun 1 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #9

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Group: Mentor
Member No: 384,020

I think it's possible, but highly unlikely.

I've known a couple people in my life where there was really no other word to describe them as a couple other than "soul mates", but it bugs me when kids who are, like, 14 or 15 start saying that the person they are with is the love of their life and they will be together forever.

I think if you're dating with the hopes of finding your soul mate that you're going to be disappointed, and might even pass on being with someone because you're so stuck on finding your soul mate. I guess I feel like there's a difference between "soul mate" and "the one". If you think you've found your soul mate it's really indescribable to explain to someone the connection that you two have, but if you've found "the one" you can tell someone that she or he is the person you want a future with, the person you want kids with, etc.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: