Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

25 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Death Penalty, is it right or wrong?
*NatiMarie*
post May 12 2004, 09:15 PM
Post #1

What do you all think? Should there be a death penalty?

Why or why not?

dukesoccer07
post May 12 2004, 09:19 PM
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No: 13,359

Yes... because we have make sure people fear doing illegal stuff... its like the whole jail thing... but some people overcome the fear... others dont and obey the law... but the death penalty is a definetely way to prevent more mass murders and etc...

whomps
post May 12 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #3

:hammer:

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 7,700

I'm FOR the death penalty. I wrote frikken' essay about this.

kirbymuixo
post May 12 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #4

I <3 Kirby

Member No: 14,421

the death penalty is a way to intimidate people so they won't commit any illegal crimes and such...so i'm for it...

*Kathleen*
post May 12 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #5

YES! If people have committed serious crimes, why shouldn't they? Hmm...they get to live their lives out as if nothing happened in a jail cell (where they are fed properly, etc.), with the slim chance (still a chance) that they could escape or be freed somehow through another trial. Furthermore, it shows other future criminals that people like them are being convicted, and may make them think twice. I have more on this, don't worry. _smile.gif

WhiteChocolate
post May 12 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #6

Liv's Secret Lover *shhhh*

Member No: 14,229

Totally and completely FOR the death penalty. biggrin.gif

shifty.gif

Toldja I was a conservative republican.

*CEP*
post May 12 2004, 09:30 PM
Post #7

I'm for death penalty.
I mean, who cares if the con repented? The fact still remains that he murdered someone.

*believes in the saying, " an eye for an eye" *

- Chinkieeyedpnoi

Spirited Away
post May 12 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #8

Quand j'étais jeune...

Member No: 1,272

I'm for it.

It does make people fear doing bad things... unfortunately, the death sentence can last for years on end, and these criminals use our tax money for their lawyers.

*AngelicEyz00*
post May 12 2004, 09:58 PM
Post #9

so what happened to everyone deserves to live?

*CrackedRearView*
post May 12 2004, 09:59 PM
Post #10

It's right, and here's why...

Abolitionists claim that there are alternatives to the death penalty. They say that life in prison without parole serves just as well. Certainly, if you ignore all the murders criminals commit within prison when they kill prison guards and other inmates, and also when they kill decent citizens upon escape, like Dawud Mu'Min who was serving a 48-year sentence for the 1973 murder of a cab driver when he escaped a road work gang and stabbed a storekeeper named Gadys Nopwasky to death in a 1988 robbery that netted $4.00. Fortunately, there is now no chance of Mu'Min commiting murder again. He was executed by the state of Virginia on November 14, 1997.

Another flaw is that life imprisonment tends to deteriorate with the passing of time. Take the Moore case in New York State for example.

In 1962, James Moore raped and strangled 14-year-old Pamela Moss. Her parents decided to spare Moore the death penalty on the condition that he be sentenced to life in prison without parole. Later on, thanks to a change in sentencing laws in 1982, James Moore is eligible for parole every two years!

He served a lousy 20 years in jail for demolishing every bit of potential to lead an excellent life that Pamela had. Who knows, maybe she would have been the person to find a cure for AIDS? Guess we'll never find out.

If Pamela's parents knew that they couldn't trust the state, Moore could have been executed long ago and they could have put the whole horrible incident behind them forever. Instead they have a nightmare to deal with biannually. I'll bet not a day goes by that they don't kick themselves for being foolish enough to trust the liberal sham that is life imprisonment and rehabilitation. (According to the US Department of Justice, the average prison sentence served for murder is five years and eleven months.)

Putting a murderer away for life just isn't good enough. Laws change, so do parole boards, and people forget the past. Those are things that cause life imprisonment to weather away. As long as the murderer lives, there is always a chance, no matter how small, that they will strike again. And there are people who run the criminal justice system who are naive enough to allow them to repeat their crime, perhaps on a grander scale.

Get a grip, liberals...

InfamousOwen
post May 12 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #11

DecadentVoid

Member No: 15,192

nevermind im not gonna post what I wanted....now that I think about it it may be a little too out of bounds. But yea once you take someone's life you losses all rights that the goverment has granted every person who lives here. Since you seem fit to decide if someone else has the right to live its only fair that your fate lay in someone else's hands.

Spirited Away
post May 12 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #12

Quand j'étais jeune...

QUOTE(InfamousOwen @ May 12 2004, 10:08 PM)
nevermind im not gonna post what I wanted....now that I think about it it may be a little too out of bounds. But yea once you take someone's life you losses all rights that the goverment has granted every person who lives here. Since you seem fit to decide if someone else has the right to live its only fair that your fate lay in someone else's hands.

But it's meant to be that way because it's a punishement for a wrong doing.

whomps
post May 12 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #13

:hammer:

Member No: 7,700

QUOTE(AngelicEyz00 @ May 12 2004, 7:58 PM)
so what happened to everyone deserves to live?

“The most sacred thing that we, each and every one of us, have is the right to life. When someone takes away that life, they should suffer the ultimate price and that’s the actual sacrifice of life.”

strice
post May 12 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #14

The Return of Sathington Willoughby.

Member No: 14,724

i personally think the death penalty is the easy way out. why rot and wait till you die in prison when you can just die? the only problem is that prisoners take a considerable chunk of tax funds.

Note
post May 12 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #15

I have 6 blue blocks :3

Member No: 14,959

i say it's a cruel and unusual punishment.

::jerry::

Spirited Away
post May 12 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #16

Quand j'étais jeune...

QUOTE(lil boi @ May 12 2004, 10:48 PM)
i say it's a cruel and unusual punishment.

::jerry::

I'd say it's fair punishment. If you can take a life and think nothing of it, then I'd say we take your life and see how you'd like.

xjjajeengx
post May 12 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #17

advanced newbie... S2

Member No: 752

i am anti-death penalty. reasons are as follows:

-What gives the government the right to kill? True, murder or what not deserves severe punishment. However, i say go with torture dang. An eye for an eye is wrong. (In my opinon...)

-Giving such power to any authority seems like giving them advantage. I mean, government should not be allowed to. Also, I think death penalty shows a lack of maturity because it reminds me of those little 2nd grade fights that break out just because a kid spills ketchup on someone's hair. It's like... " You... Im going to tell on you!" and the teacher says, " Its alright children, youc an put ketchup on him for putting ketchup on you."

I know that murder and other serious crimes are not a matter of ketchup or whatever and it is very serious, but I think there would be better ways to handle punishment other than taking away life.

likeachild
post May 13 2004, 07:06 AM
Post #18

Retired Member

Member No: 4,843

i heard that giving someone the death penalty wastes
a whole lot of money because of the many trials they have to go through
it's like quadruple the cost of putting the person in jail for life

casssy
post May 13 2004, 07:54 AM
Post #19

Member No: 200

im for it..

shawty_redd
post May 13 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #20

Alisha

Member No: 9,880

i dont really know..i live in Canada and there is no death penalty..but i had to write an essay about it and i said it's wrong cause isn't one of the commandments u shall not kill??

triipinfserious
post May 13 2004, 09:41 AM
Post #21

addicted to createblog[dot]com (=

Member No: 14,423

yes; if someone purposely kills someones else [which automatically recieves the death penalty or somethin` like that] then their life should be takin` ... it`s not like we`re givin` out death penalties for robbers ... =X

rivendell
post May 13 2004, 09:52 AM
Post #22

- kuupi! ♥-

Member No: 3,148

Just a thought to put out there for you guys ... America is the only 'civilized' nation in the world that still has the death penalty. England, France, Japan, Spain, Italy etc ... they no longer have a death penalty.

*Kathleen*
post May 13 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #23

QUOTE(rivendell @ May 13 2004, 10:52 AM)
Just a thought to put out there for you guys ... America is the only 'civilized' nation in the world that still has the death penalty. England, France, Japan, Spain, Italy etc ... they no longer have a death penalty.

Yes, but how is the crime in those places? *Makes note to go research*

rivendell
post May 13 2004, 12:06 PM
Post #24

- kuupi! ♥-

Member No: 3,148

QUOTE(Kathleen @ May 13 2004, 10:55 AM)
Yes, but how is the crime in those places? *Makes note to go research*

I think I read somewhere that England's crime rate was the highest in the world per 100,000 people. But I'm not totally sure, I'll have to look for the article again.

WildGriffin
post May 13 2004, 12:27 PM
Post #25

Master Debater

Member No: 15,719

Nope, nobody has the right to kill anyone for whatever reason.

Simple equation.

Any reason fathomable < someone's life

Shouldn't all you religious types depend on God to deal out the punishment?

25 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: