inception
AngryBaby
post Jul 26 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #26

L!ckitySplit

Group: Member
Member No: 129,329

top wobbled.

that was enough for me to say it wasn't a dream. those physics wouldn't come into play

Joanne
post Jul 26 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #27

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 95,404

QUOTE(lojay @ Jul 26 2010, 04:37 PM) *
Now, in the Planning level, the totem wobbles and falls (remember, when he is explaining it to Ariadne). This is the same level as when they were on the plane, as when they got off the plane, and when he went home - all the same level; if the totem fell earlier he can't be dreaming in this level.

I brought this up with my skeptical friend and he brought up the fact that the totem probably doesn't work properly for Cobbs because it was originally Mal's. And given how he stressed the importance of keeping your totem to yourself (so only you know the specifics of it), his totem isn't exactly reliable.

lojay
post Jul 27 2010, 12:29 AM
Post #28

Member No: 47,340

QUOTE(spambot @ Jul 26 2010, 07:49 PM) *
I am not sure If fallow you, but the plane and what not isn't a level, it's real life, and since he woke up after Fischer the others took all the tubes/wires off him (I would be freaked if I woke up next to a guy with a strange machine on him). The Asian dude (can't think of his name) had been in the 4th level fore a long time (dream time) He dies right after he threw the grenade so he was in the 4th level for awhile before Cobb even got done dealing with Mol, so the fact that he (the azn dude) was so old made since.

The top always seemed to work (he was constantly checking and since mol is dead I think it doesn't matter that it used to be hers since Cobb is still the only alive person who knows it's special qualities)which is why I don't think it was defective meaning he would find out pretty fast if he was dreaming.

I think you followed pretty well... And yeah, that isn't really a dream level... I just counted it as a level to reduce confusion - I guess, or stress that it was the same stage as when they were planning. They were planning in reality and he went home in reality. Otherwise, what you are saying about the IV makes sense.

The Asian dude was Saito, haha. So you're saying that since he was in limbo so long in the 4th stagethat is why he was able to age so rapidly, where Cobb did not age since he wasn't in limbo in the 4th stage? I mean, I guess that works, but when you think about it the 4th stage only lasts a month in dream time... so how could he put on so many years in just a month? The only reason I can think to justify this is that maybe while in limbo you age faster? I don't even know how I could support that.

QUOTE(Joanne @ Jul 27 2010, 12:08 AM) *
I brought this up with my skeptical friend and he brought up the fact that the totem probably doesn't work properly for Cobbs because it was originally Mal's. And given how he stressed the importance of keeping your totem to yourself (so only you know the specifics of it), his totem isn't exactly reliable.

I don't know if it being Mal's top and not his has anything to do with the ending or not. I still think that it is just a cliffhanger. Not saying that you are wrong. It makes sense, but I don't know if I actually buy it.

AngryBaby
post Jul 27 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #29

L!ckitySplit

Member No: 129,329

Joanne
post Jul 27 2010, 12:55 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(lojay @ Jul 26 2010, 10:29 PM) *
The only reason I can think to justify this is that maybe while in limbo you age faster? I don't even know how I could support that.

They said in the film many times that, the deeper you go into the unconscious (the more level of dreams you go into), the faster time goes by. So a couple hours in real life would feel like years (maybe even decades?) in limbo.

QUOTE(lojay @ Jul 26 2010, 10:29 PM) *
I don't know if it being Mal's top and not his has anything to do with the ending or not. I still think that it is just a cliffhanger. Not saying that you are wrong. It makes sense, but I don't know if I actually buy it.

Yeah I like to believe that Cobbs is back in real life and that it's just a cliffhanger too. I'm just simply giving you the reasons my friend gave me.

gojira
post Jul 27 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #31

◕ ◡ ◕

Group: Official Member
Member No: 416,697

nothing 2 do wit movie but not sure if you saw joanne

Joanne
post Jul 27 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #32

I've seen pictures of him on set for this movie, but I hadn't seen this no...

Thanks Sandy!! I hear it's a really great film... I'm so excited!!!! biggrin.gif

none345678
post Jul 27 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #33

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

He is def. a tie and suit guy lol. He was much more sharply dressed in Inception then in 500 days and I think that may also be one of the reasons way everyone is just now noticing he's perrtty-ness. (not that he looked bad in 500 days of Summer)

I am looking forward to Hasher too. That scene is great.

LittleMissSunshi...
post Jul 27 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #34

rawr?

Member No: 285,858

WTFFFFFFFF YALL JUST CONFUSED ME EVEN MOREEEEE!!! -_____-

batman
post Jul 28 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #35

Member No: 696,018

QUOTE(Joanne @ Jul 22 2010, 04:45 AM) *
SO MANY PEOPLE who previously thought JGL was ugly and/or too scrawny are now eating their words and drooling over him after having watched Inception.

I don't know whether to be happy (YAY PEOPLE FINALLY AGREE) or pissed off (HE'S MINE, BACK THE f*ck OFF).

I HAVE LOVED HIM SINCE 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU :D

I just saw this movie. I liked it a lot (maybe even loved it), but... as with every good thing that gets killed by over-attention, I think that it was definitely overhyped. The premise is amazing and I love the main plot and the subplot, the casting, the acting, the effects, and everything... but it just didn't live up to my expectations. I think I should watch it again though, just to catch nuances I didn't notice the first time around.

Plus, note to self: tumblr kills everything. I think my tumblr dashboard is what killed Inception for me.

none345678
post Jul 28 2010, 12:39 AM
Post #36

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

I heard 3-5 people claim it to be there new favorite move, but that's about it (I originally thought it was going to be shitty, but when I went to the movies to originally see predators and found that that wasn't playing I saw this instead) I can understand that the longer people wait the more you will here the "over hyped" comment.

I know a lot of movies are ruined for me by being over hyped. (took me forever to watch the hangover)

misoshiru
post Jul 28 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #37

yan lin♥

Member No: 13,627

QUOTE(batman @ Jul 28 2010, 01:26 AM) *
I HAVE LOVED HIM SINCE 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU :D

me2

misoshiru
post Jul 28 2010, 12:55 AM
Post #38

yan lin♥

Member No: 13,627

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tu...AnV4xfH9P8Xo%3D

don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet

batman
post Jul 28 2010, 01:15 AM
Post #39

Ok, question...

If Mam and Cobbs were able to escape the "limbo" place by dying, why couldn't the Asian guy just kill himself by like.. jumping off a cliff or something? Why did he have to wait for Cobbs to come kill him?

Joanne
post Jul 28 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(batman @ Jul 27 2010, 11:15 PM) *
Ok, question...

If Mam and Cobbs were able to escape the "limbo" place by dying, why couldn't the Asian guy just kill himself by like.. jumping off a cliff or something? Why did he have to wait for Cobbs to come kill him?

Did Cobbs end up killing Saito while they were in limbo together? I can't really remember... I thought Cobbs just went to find Saito and to give him some kind of 'kick' or something.

The reason why Cobbs and Mal were able to escape limbo through death was because they weren't using a powerful sedative that prevented them from waking up.

none345678
post Jul 28 2010, 01:23 AM
Post #41

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Because cobb and mol were not in limbo but...ok I don't know how to explain it lol. But they were just hooked up to one of those machines, not as heavily sedated as the team was. So maybe that has something to do with it? I am starting to forget some of the details.

rAwritsgWeg
post Jul 29 2010, 07:40 AM
Post #42

Watch This

Member No: 118,408

Yea, seen it four times in IMAX. The soundtrack is amazing as well.

rAwritsgWeg
post Jul 29 2010, 07:46 AM
Post #43

Watch This

Member No: 118,408

The whole point of that scene was just saying how he did his first inception. It's effects put her mind in the mindset that she was still dreaming, and needed to die to see her kids again.

This post has been edited by tokyo-rose: Jul 29 2010, 04:16 PM
Reason for edit: Added spoiler tags. - Cristy

batman
post Jul 29 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #44

^

1. use spoiler tags
2. obviously. i don't think you understood the question.

gojira
post Jul 29 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #45

◕ ◡ ◕

this probably doesn't explain much but from a blog

Why is Saito such an old man in limbo, whereas Cobb is still young?
Cobb obviously enters limbo after Saito, thus giving the latter more time to age. Without Nolan establishing an exact span of time between when each enters, it's impossible to say whether Saito is "too old", but a drastic difference is consistent with the events of the film.

i forget what's explained in the movie so i don't know perfect explanation for why saito doesn't just kill himself to wake up. i think he needed to be rescue in level 5 to be rescued because if he 'died' too early then he'd be stuck in limbo. here's a conversation

Cobb: Don't do that. Don't do that!
Eames: He's in agony, I'm waking him up.
Cobb: No. It won't wake him up.
Eames: What do you mean it won't wake him up...
Cobb: It won't wake him up.
Eames: ...if we die in a dream we wake up.
Yusuf: Not from this. We're too heavily sedated to wake up that way.
Eames: Right. So what happens when we die?
Cobb: We drop into limbo.
Arthur: Are you serious?!
Ariadne: Limbo?!
Arthur: Unconstructed dream space.
Ariadne: Well, what the hell is down there?
Arthur: Just raw, infinite subconscious. Nothing is down there. Except for whatever might have been left behind by anyone sharing the dream who's been trapped there before. Which in our case is just you.
Ariadne: Well, how long can we be stuck there?
Yusuf: Can't even think about trying to escape until the sedation...
Eames: How long?!
Yusuf: Decades. It could be infinite. I don't know. Ask him. He's the one who's been there.
Arthur: Let's get him upstairs.

*spoiler image* not sure if this image will help you guys, here

tokyo-rose
post Jul 29 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #46

♡♡♡♡♡

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 108,478

QUOTE(batman @ Jul 29 2010, 11:05 AM) *
^

1. use spoiler tags
2. obviously. i don't think you understood the question.

Just got the movie spoiled for doing mod duties. What is this. :'(

slipper
post Jul 30 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #47

Group: Human
Member No: 2,239

ah man, now that im not as excited and hyped about it.. kinda talked to one of my friends about this film more.. this movie is actually flawed and contradicts itself. but i still liked it, good film, and entertaining lol

spoiler - why was everyone so scared of going to the last level? since leo and his wife got out by killing themselves. and the kicks only happened when they wanted it to- the white van rolling around didn't wake them up? how..

This post has been edited by spambot: Jul 30 2010, 11:53 PM
Reason for edit: add spoliers next time

gojira
post Jul 31 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #48

◕ ◡ ◕

imo it wasn't flawed, it might just be your friend didn't understand it.

explaining last level - "By the time you reach the Limbo state it can be so difficult to wake, and the dream can feel so vividly real, that the mind stops trying to wake at all – the mind accepts the dream as its reality, like slipping into a coma."

"Cobb and Mal were trapped in Limbo for 50 years, unaware that their world wasn't real. Cobb eventually discovered the truth, but Mal refused to accept it. In order to get Mal to kill herself and return to the real world, Cobb performed Inception on her, planting the idea that the world wasn't real in her mind. This worked, they killed themselves and escaped Limbo. Unfortunatley, the idea remained in Mal's mind and once they returned, she was unable to accept that the real world wasn't a dream."

not sure if this definition of a kick answers your question - "A Kick: By upsetting the equilibrium of a dreamer you can wake them from a dream and return them to reality. If you’re dreaming a dream within a dream, each level of the dream has to have its own Kick in order for the one on the higher level to work. So Arthur blew up the elevator to wake them up from the snow fortress dream so they could then be woken up by the car hitting the water. "

if this did not answer your questions, go watch the movie. also if you enjoyed memento, i'm 100% sure you would enjoy this movie. edit: didn't even fully read your post, ahaha. you've read it. well statement applies to anyone who did not see it.

none345678
post Jul 31 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #49

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

I don't think it has any flaws at all. With a movie like this I am 100% sure the writers would go to great lengths to make sure everything was solid.

gojira
post Jul 31 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #50

◕ ◡ ◕

i agree 100% but especially knowing it took him 10 years to fully develop the script.

i'm going to say this and this ain't even one of my favorite films of all time. if it took me 10 years to complete a painting, it better be a f*cking masterpiece.

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: