Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Legalizing Marijuana
Rating 4 V
dosomethin888
post Nov 20 2008, 12:21 AM
Post #26

Group: Member
Member No: 663,413

Aspirin is a medicine. Ephedrine is a medicine. Xanax is a medicine.

Even putting marajuana into the same category as caffeine makes you an idiot.

Marajuana is in the same category as hard drugs, the kinds that shouldnt be legalized... Come on.

Alcohol is a beverage. Having one beer doesnt make you drunk. Taking one drag of marajuana makes you high. Why would we want to legalize something that gets people high??

*paperplane*
post Nov 20 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #27

CAFFEINE IS A DRUG. You said you don't want marijuana legal because it is a drug. A MEDICINAL DRUG LIKE ALL OF THOSE THINGS EXCEPT ALCOHOL WHICH IS STILL A LEGAL DRUG. So yeah, they're in the same goddamn category.

IT IS IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS HARD DRUGS LEGALLY, BUT NOT EFFECTIVELY. (and actually, that's not really even true- cannabis is a class C drug.)

If those other things are okay because they can be used as medicine, then by that logic pot should be too. You've just disproved your own point. Xanax is highly addictive and quite often abused. By most measures it is far more harmful than weed. And alcohol is ALSO A DRUG and still legal.
(You will notice benzodiazepines (xanax) and alcohol and tobacco all higher than cannabis on the chart.)

Edit for the edit:
Um, no, it is all relative. The more you drink, the more drunk you get. The more you smoke, the higher you get. One hit will not necessarily get someone high. Most people don't get high their first time (or few) smoking. Someone with a higher tolerance will not get high off one hit. One sip of beer may not get someone drunk, but one sip of something with a higher alcohol content could get someone with a lot tolerance drunk. It is a beverage that would get people drunk? Why would we want to legalize something that could get them drunk- when that could make them violent, mess with their judgment, become addicted to it, and could die of alcohol poisoning? Why not legalize something that could HELP PEOPLE MEDICINALLY and who the f*ck cares if they get high? Why is it the government's place to say it's not ok to get high, or that it's ok to take this one drug that you could get high off of but not this other one?

Or just go back a page and read the benefits Nate listed.

fameONE
post Nov 20 2008, 12:36 AM
Post #28

^_^

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 91,466

Has anyone else noticed that Nate dropped an ETHER bomb on this thread? He cut out the fat and got right down to common sense and common knowledge. mellow.gif

brooklyneast05
post Nov 20 2008, 07:31 AM
Post #29

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

why are people so insistent that it's a hard drug? i don't get this. is it just because you only remember what they beat into your head in 4th grade about all drugs being the most awful things in the world? because you need to get the f*ck over that by now. drugs are BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD when you're little because little kids can't differentiate or comprehend differences like this anyway, so there isn't much else to tell them. you need to grow up and do some research though if you're over 16 and you still think weed is a terrible drug that your going to become physically dependent on and kill you.

i don't understand

synatribe
post Nov 20 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #30

AIDS at RAVES.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 598,878

In 1985, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved dronabinol (Marinol®) to treat nausea and vomiting (emesis) caused by chemotherapy in cancer patients who had not responded to other standard anti-emetic drugs. Dronabinol contains a synthetic form of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), an active cannabinoid in marijuana. Since that time, more effective drugs to counteract these cancer-related symptoms have been developed that do not contain any cannabinoids.

By the late 1990s, the National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health had developed reports on the medical use of marijuana. The drug’s benefit in some medical settings was confirmed, more studies were called for, and distinctions were made between smoked marijuana and chemically refined by-products that could be taken by mouth.

Maybe legalizing some substances in marijuana would not hurt, and these should be available to people with licenses or with some kind of knowledge of drugs, not to the entire population to get high off of.

*paperplane*
post Nov 20 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #31

Why? Who, pray tell, is hurt by people getting high?

And now look, you have to understand why they feel the need to differentiate between the real thing and "chemically refined by-products that could be taken by mouth." It's not because it's a more effective medication. It's not so people don't get high. It's because pharmaceutical companies cannot make money off of a natural product that people can grow themselves. It's all about conforming to lobbiests' demands. Why would you want to take the synthetic version of something when you could take the natural one?

Harp
post Nov 20 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #32

Group: Official Member
Member No: 683,235

I think that if it's legalized. people wont be so "hyped" about doing it anymore. I also think it'll become more expensive, and nobody will have the money to buy it anymore.

dosomethin888
post Nov 20 2008, 04:14 PM
Post #33

Ya except that caffeine makes you more alert, while marajuana makes you less alert.

Drugs are bad, brooklyn, and thats why they try to make it clear to children from a young age. Marajuna is the less toxic of all hard drugs, for sure. Besides making you sluggish and lazy, I dont think it has any adverse side effects. But, doing one drug could lead to another and lead to gateways to more drugs. Its not a good idea to make marajuana legal because it is a hard drug.

Anyways, I already said medicinal purposes for marajuana are fine.

*paperplane*
post Nov 20 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #34

It's not really accurate to say that cannabis decreases awareness. It increases concentration. But regardless, that hardly makes caffeine less of, or cannabis more of a drug. There are different kinds of drugs, but they are still all drugs.

No, it's really not a hard drug. The gateway drug theory only holds any weight because it's not a hard drug. If it were, it would not be the drug that people try before they move on to trying other, harder drugs. Why not ban cigarettes, then? Reinstate prohibition? (lol) Most hard drug users first try tobacco or alcohol, and the majority of them are also smoke cigarettes. And oh, yeah, these things really don't have many (if any) medicinal uses. However, an advantage to legalization- as I have already stated- is that marijuana smokers would not have to buy weed from dealers who also sell harder things, which would decrease access. Dissolving the black market would be very beneficial.

You can't just ban things because people might want to try other more harmful things. Or because they make people less attentive...seriously, let's ban getting fewer than 8 hours a sleep a night, then.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 20 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #35

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

yeah nicki covered my response again. i was going to say that it's contradictory to claim it's a hard drug, and then claim it's a gateway drug at the same time.

*cakedout*
post Nov 20 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Nov 20 2008, 01:14 PM) *
Ya except that caffeine makes you more alert, while marajuana makes you less alert.
Drugs are bad, brooklyn, and thats why they try to make it clear to children from a young age. Marajuna is the less toxic of all hard drugs, for sure. Besides making you sluggish and lazy, I dont think it has any adverse side effects. But, doing one drug could lead to another and lead to gateways to more drugs. Its not a good idea to make marajuana legal because it is a hard drug.

Anyways, I already said medicinal purposes for marajuana are fine.

bitch, you need to stfu and hit the blunt, hard drug my ass, acid is a hard ass drug.

NoSex
post Nov 20 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #37

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(YukkaPukka @ Nov 20 2008, 12:16 PM) *
I also think it'll become more expensive, and nobody will have the money to buy it anymore.

the price will drop due to the decreased cost of production & distribution & a market model closer to perfect competition. unless, somehow, taxation is stupid as f*ck on it, weed will become substantially cheaper if legalized & sold by firms.

dosomethin888
post Nov 20 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #38

if you legalize marijuana the cost will skyrocket for killer weed, and it will be regulated by the government. They want there cut of the profit. dude, rock on or shit, out & under

Joss-eh-lime
post Nov 20 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #39

tell me more.

Member No: 35,640

dont legalize it because its needed for medical reasons.
it just isnt necessary for a productive society.
yeah a selcect few people actually need it for medical reasons. they most likely will get it for that reason. legalize it and it will be around kids, and people who just dont want to be near it.

Amaranthus
post Nov 20 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #40

Fellatio.

Member No: 511,775

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Nov 20 2008, 08:40 PM) *
if you legalize marijuana the cost will skyrocket for killer weed, and it will be regulated by the government. They want there cut of the profit. dude, rock on or shit, out & under

Why the hell does this bother you as well ?
You seem needlessly argumentative.

*cakedout*
post Nov 20 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #41

QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Nov 20 2008, 05:44 PM) *
yeah a selcect few people actually need it for medical reasons. they most likely will get it for that reason. legalize it and it will be around kids, and people who just dont want to be near it.

and alcohol isnt?

*paperplane*
post Nov 20 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #42

So everything legal has to be necessary for a productive society?

MiSSP
post Nov 20 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #43

Member No: 665,856

They should just legalize it in all states, some states are starting to legalize it anyway for medical use. People are going to get their hands on it regardless so it really doesnt matter.

NoSex
post Nov 20 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #44

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Nov 20 2008, 07:40 PM) *

killer weed? i have no idea what you're talking about. like, dank shit? nah dawg, you have no idea what the f*ck you're talking about. the reason any drug is expensive right now is because of the problem of supply - it's a risk to produce & distribute drugs illegally. if the production & sale of drugs is no longer illegal, the risk will disappear, & many more entrepreneurs will enter the market... this will increase competition (& given lower production costs already) & dramatically reduce the price of the product. duh.

QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Nov 20 2008, 07:44 PM) *

you're a heartless bitch. you know what we don't need in a "productive society?" shit heads like you! people who have no compassion whatsoever for his or her fellow human beingsss... even further, people who have no compassion because of their own self-righteous, moronic, & subservient ignorance! you need to read a book!

legalize it and it will be around kids

drug dealers don't check for i.d. you f*cking idiot.

and people who just dont want to be near it.

i don't want to be near your dumb ass... but that's just something we all sort of have to deal with in a free country. word up moron.

applejaxkz
post Nov 20 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #45

Member No: 624,580

QUOTE(SharperMyspace @ Nov 19 2008, 10:17 PM) *
Those are NOTHING compared to what Tobacco can do to you.

Not once did I say anything about tobacco. Sit down and raise your hand next time.

*cakedout*
post Nov 20 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(applejaxkz @ Nov 20 2008, 07:54 PM) *
Not once did I say anything about tobacco. Sit down and raise your hand next time.

she/hes implying that cigarettes are legal and do more damage to you when marijuana isnt

sixfive
post Nov 20 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #47

Member No: 653,768

QUOTE(applejaxkz @ Nov 20 2008, 09:54 PM) *

OKAY MISTER TECHNICAL SCHOOL JUST BECAUSE YOURE GETTING A PIECE OF PAPER THAT MEANS JACK SHIT THAT YOU PAID TOO MUCH FOR DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN GO AROUND BOSSING PEOPLE AROUND TELLING THEM TO RAISE THEIR HAND NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE YOU LEAVE DEAD AND BLOODIED ALONG THE WAY, JUST SO LONG AS YOU CAN MAKE A NAME FOR YOURSELF AS AN INVESTIGATORY JOURNALIST, NO MATTER HOW MANY FRIENDS YOU LOSE OR PEOPLE YOU LEAVE DEAD AND BLOODIED AND DYING ALONG THE WAY.

itt: you're an idiot

synatribe
post Nov 21 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #48

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(paperplane @ Nov 19 2008, 11:54 PM) *
You cannot be serious.

Caffeine is a drug.
Nicotine is a drug.
Aspirin is a drug.
Ephedrine is a drug.
Xanax is a drug.
ALCOHOL IS A DRUG.
etc. etc. etc.

Jesus f*cking Christ.

okay just to give you an analogy of how stupid you sound,

CATS are felines
LIONs are felines

you want lions to be let out in the f*cking public? hope this analogy feeds your f*cking brain
does that answer your damn question? all Im insisting is that if you wanted to use marijuana as a legal drug, then just use it properly, dont let it get in the hands of people who are going to abuse it.

QUOTE(paperplane @ Nov 20 2008, 12:04 PM) *
Why? Who, pray tell, is hurt by people getting high?

And now look, you have to understand why they feel the need to differentiate between the real thing and "chemically refined by-products that could be taken by mouth." It's not because it's a more effective medication. It's not so people don't get high. It's because pharmaceutical companies cannot make money off of a natural product that people can grow themselves. It's all about conforming to lobbiests' demands. Why would you want to take the synthetic version of something when you could take the natural one?

the f*cking reason this country is in a economic crisis is BECAUSE of lobbyist demands. Even with GM and chrysler, they try to meet lobbyist demands and they neglect the importance of making cars better. thats why American cars are shitty as hell compared to asian imports. If you want to conform to lobbyist demands, your not going to get jack shit done. Legalizing Marijuana is a f*ckin last minute desperate as hell ditch move, your not making patients healthier, your making them feel better (there is a difference). Its the same thing as cars, while Asian countries and england are advancing in stem cell research, Americans are looking towards marijuana to be their saving grace and while brazil is energy independent and advancing faster then any other country in the world, AMericans are still dependent on OPEC, its the same damn thing, lobbyist dont help the people, they only help money hungry corporations.

*paperplane*
post Nov 21 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #49

Calm the f*ck down, neither of those posts were in response to you. The first one was in respone to where Dosomething888 said, "I dont think it should be legalized because it is a drug...I dont want any drugs to be legal. Alcohol and drugs are different. That is why alcohol is legal." So it was far from stupid of me to point out that alcohol is in fact a drug. And that there are plenty of other legal drugs. Seriously, look at the context.

Are you even literate? Pharmaceutical companies lobby AGAINST legalization, because it would decrease their profit, not for the good of the people.

synatribe
post Nov 21 2008, 09:32 AM
Post #50

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(paperplane @ Nov 21 2008, 09:26 AM) *
Calm the f*ck down, neither of those posts were in response to you. The first one was in respone to where Dosomething888 said, "I dont think it should be legalized because it is a drug...I dont want any drugs to be legal. Alcohol and drugs are different. That is why alcohol is legal." So it was far from stupid of me to point out that alcohol is in fact a drug. And that there are plenty of other legal drugs. Seriously, look at the context.

Are you even literate? Pharmaceutical companies lobby AGAINST legalization, because it would decrease their profit, not for the good of the people.

sorry, its just so f*cking frustrating, when I try to make a point, people are always f*cking bashing it, I try to respect everyone's post, but Im not going to be told what to do or be disrespected, and yes Iam literate I must have misunderstood your post, but either way, Im independent on this issue, what Im implying is that if it gets passed, make sure their is a limit of some sort, if it dosent get passed, them oo well.

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: