Reply to this topicStart new topic
China to show off clean toilets, for 2008 olympics
voguelove
post Jan 16 2007, 04:19 PM
Post #1

i'm maggie =]

Group: Member
Member No: 361,616

BEIJING (Reuters) - Beijing, wary of offending Olympic visitors' sensitivities, plans to renovate 1,000 public toilets in its suburbs in 2007, state media reported on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Planning officials would also strive to keep its notoriously malodorous back-street toilets disinfected and deodorised, Xinhua news agency said.

"All the toilets should be clean, water-conserving and installed with efficient ventilation equipment," Xinhua quoted Lu Haijun, director of the City Planning Committee, as saying.

By the end of 2006, more than 5,580 public toilets in Beijing had reached "the modern standard", Xinhua said, but the city's goal of ensuring a public toilet within five minutes' walk of any location remained elusive.

To solve the problem, the Beijing municipal government would build more toilets, and had "asked some 3,000 commercial buildings to open their toilets to the public", Xinhua said.

ugh. that is disgusting. isnt this what they should be doing anyway? even without all the tourists/athletes coming?

*mona lisa*
post Jan 16 2007, 06:09 PM
Post #2

Slightly similar situation in India. With the Commonwealth Games taking place in New Delhi, the nation's capital, in 2010, the government is now trying to control air quality. So a lot of factories have to be shifted to other areas. And I don't think it was for the whole country, either. Jeez, you don't think your citizens would enjoy cleaner air even without such a huge international event occurring, do you?

Simba
post Jan 16 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #3

Photoartist

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 399,390

Hmm... People seem more so interested in the short-term benefits.

miiichellley
post Jan 17 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #4

my michelle.

Member No: 267,094

Good for the opening night and everything but there's so many people at the Olympics that by day 2 it's going to look like crap again.

Gigi
post Jan 17 2007, 01:27 AM
Post #5

in a matter of time

Member No: 191,357

Knowing the Mainland Chinese, these so-called clean toilets will be mucked up in a matter of hours.

Seriously.

synthase
post Jan 20 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #6

ALLISON

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 310,259

^ yes it is true
even the airport bathrooms are disgusting
and since most of them are "open", they create a HUGE stink and it makes me want to puke sick.gif

demolished
post Jan 20 2007, 03:00 AM
Post #7

Group:
Member No: 8,001

Finally, they made improvement to these fifty toilets that do not impress the visitors. I think every toilet deserve to be clean so people will have less chance of being infected. This method will gradually improve China’s health. Our immunity systems are always fighting.

think!IMAGINARIL...
post Jan 20 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #8

Member No: 761

Not all countries are as rich as the US.. In some urban cities of China, they still have holes in the ground.
You should go see the rural areas of China. Ugh, it's disgusting. sick.gif Cow/sheep/donkey sh*t everywhere.. I hope all that changes by the next time I go there.

31miracles
post Jan 20 2007, 05:07 PM
Post #9

cvchango

Group: Human
Member No: 332,717

QUOTE(rawr SOCK @ Jan 20 2007, 4:58 PM) *
Not all countries are as rich as the US.. In some urban cities of China, they still have holes in the ground.
You should go see the rural areas of China. Ugh, it's disgusting. sick.gif Cow/sheep/donkey sh*t everywhere.. I hope all that changes by the next time I go there.

SOME urban cities?
probabaly 95% of the toilets (public) in China are holes

you think cow etc.. sh*t is bad?
most places in China do not have trash services
many places in china just pill their garbage in the backyard

you haven't seen the real China

think!IMAGINARIL...
post Jan 20 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(cvchango @ Jan 20 2007, 5:07 PM) *
SOME urban cities?

My grandparents on my dad's side live in a really small, rural town in southern Hebei. I've spent a fourth of my summers in that dump.. The water is practically undrinkable and there are constant blackouts.

Trust me, I've seen the real China.

And PS, they actually don't put it in their backyard. Where my grandparents live, there's a huge landfill in the middle of the town.

aznxdreamer
post Jan 20 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #11

to hell with you

Member No: 16,506

QUOTE(cvchango @ Jan 20 2007, 5:07 PM) *
SOME urban cities?

not 95% percent, maybe in the more rural areas yes. but in the city they usually have real toilets in resturants and hotels and stuff. most of my relatives all have real toilets. i've been to the rural china and i guess it is pretty bad there. but at least theyre trying to improve right? i mean, if barack obama wanted to come into your room you'd wanna clean it up a little too.

31miracles
post Jan 20 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #12

cvchango

Member No: 332,717

QUOTE(aznxdreamer @ Jan 20 2007, 8:23 PM) *
not 95% percent, maybe in the more rural areas yes. but in the city they usually have real toilets in resturants and hotels and stuff. most of my relatives all have real toilets. i've been to the rural china and i guess it is pretty bad there. but at least theyre trying to improve right? i mean, if barack obama wanted to come into your room you'd wanna clean it up a little too.

do they allow you to just walk in and take a dump in a Chinese Resturant? No
Is your relative's toilets public? No
most rural areas don't even have a public restroom, so you'll be lucky if you even find a hole to crap in. I, personally, have never seen a public toilet in a rural place.

The thing is, Chinese people are used to no toilets and just the hole. Therefore, they see nothing wrong with the hole. People who don't live in China think the hole is bad.

QUOTE(rawr SOCK @ Jan 20 2007, 8:08 PM) *
My grandparents on my dad's side live in a really small, rural town in southern Hebei. I've spent a fourth of my summers in that dump.. The water is practically undrinkable and there are constant blackouts.

Trust me, I've seen the real China.

And PS, they actually don't put it in their backyard. Where my grandparents live, there's a huge landfill in the middle of the town.

sorry, wasn't trying to offend you

voguelove
post Jan 20 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #13

i'm maggie =]

Member No: 361,616

QUOTE(cvchango @ Jan 20 2007, 4:07 PM) *
SOME urban cities?

oh, ive seen the real china.

my parents are both from shan dong. (sp?) and i went to visit 3 years ago.

it was the worst 10 days of my life. they didnt have toilets. at all. you had to pee/poo in a pail and dump it in their dump which was in the backyard. there werent showers. you just had to bathe yourself with a sponge and pail. (not the same pail from the bathrom, thank god.) obviously, no air conditioning or heating. and, their restaurants were like..storage rooms. they didnt look like resturants. it looked like an unfinished room with a random wood table in the middle.

and i was on my period for 7 out of those 10 days. AND THEY DONT SELL TAMPONS THERE. so i felt disgusting since i couldnt really shower.

mai_z
post Jan 21 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #14

unify and defeat... divide and crumble

Member No: 6,379

different standards of living. Maybe you should offer some help to the developing nations. And anyways, beijing is very urbanized, this is where all the visitors/athletes are going to be. It's just like public washrooms in north america there. They're not super clean, but having a bathroom every 5 min walk is pretty impressive.

think!IMAGINARIL...
post Jan 22 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(cvchango @ Jan 20 2007, 9:33 PM) *
sorry, wasn't trying to offend you

Oh no, you didn't offend me..
I'm sorry if my post sounded defensive.. pinch.gif

I think Beijing is becoming a bit too urbanized too quickly. Some of the people who live on the outskirts of the city are being kicked out of their homes just so some huge apartment building can be built. It's pretty hard on the older residents of Beijing, actually..

espressive
post Jan 22 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #16

and so it is

Member No: 3,085

LOL!

Asian toilets are disgusting. pinch.gif They're like basically holes in the ground encased with
vitreous china and then you flush it. I remember squatting all the time to pee when I was little. There's nowhere to sit! And if guys tend to miss the toilet, can you imagine what a girl's bathroom was like with that type of toilet? rolleyes.gif

But anyways, I'm extremely glad & impressed with the renovations China are making for the Olympics.

minioligo
post Feb 6 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #17

i'm so bored.

Member No: 473,614

Uh. Better late than never, yeah?

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: