Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Legalizing Marijuana
Rating 4 V
Kay-
post Nov 18 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #1

BANG

Group: Member
Member No: 565,234

Yes, I think there's already a topic on this but those are from a really long time ago. As you all know Marc Emery (the prince of pot) ran for Mayor of Vancouver in 1996 and ever since he's been fighting for legalization for marajuana in Canada. And he owns his very own shop in Vancouver with a vapour lounge in it.
http://cannabisculture.com/articles/5310.html
The link above shows you that on Nov 15th 2008 Cannabis Activists are getting elected all across BC.
I live in Vancouver and I'm a huge supporter of Marc Emery. Im so glad that he is still fighting for legalization. I've been to his shop many times before and I've met Marc Emery himself there. He's a really nice guy and I think with time marajuana will be legal here.
What do you guys think of legalizing marajuana?
Reason for edit: It's "marijuana," not "marajuana."

synatribe
post Nov 18 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #2

AIDS at RAVES.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 598,878

I dont think marijuana should be legalized, people have cannablis cards here in the US but end up addicts and potheads, we should legalize hemp though, if we want any sort of energy reform independence.

Tomates
post Nov 18 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #3

poison

Group: Official Member
Member No: 629,020

They recently legalized Medicinal Marajuana in my state. I think its really un-necissary to be honest. I had juniors in my class go "im so excited that proposal 1 passed!" which tells you there that it will probably be abused.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 18 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #4

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

QUOTE(Tomates @ Nov 18 2008, 10:28 PM) *
They recently legalized Medicinal Marajuana in my state. I think its really un-necissary to be honest. I had juniors in my class go "im so excited that proposal 1 passed!" which tells you there that it will probably be abused.

i disagree, medicinal marijuana should be definitely be legalized in all states in my opinion. even if people abuse it, i still think it should be legalized for medicinal use. i have a semi severe chronic back problem, and i'm in pain just about everyday and take pretty heavy prescribed pain killers that i'm basically addicted to. i can't just up and stop taking my dosage anymore without withdrawing. if being provided with a non physically addicting treatment helped then i don't care if some idiot teenagers somewhere abuse it as long as it's helping people in pain who have to cope with things like this on a day to day basis. is it really fair to everyone who would use it responsibly to not get to because someone else will abuse it? i think that option should be there for those it helps.

as far as legalizing it in general. i wouldn't say i'm 100% for that because i don't think i have all the facts. i definitely support decriminalizing it, and i probably support legalizing it in general. why is alcohol legal but marijuana not?

yeah and for the record, i don't smoke. so it's not like i'm one of the smokers who is like YEAH WOOHOOO. i don't now, and i highly doubt i would if it was legal since it being illegal isn't why i don't anyway.

Amaranthus
post Nov 18 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #5

Fellatio.

Member No: 511,775

I think Marijuana should be legalized.
Maybe, though, there should be an age limit to purchase it.

*paperplane*
post Nov 18 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Aberisk @ Nov 18 2008, 09:25 PM) *
I dont think marijuana should be legalized, people have cannablis cards here in the US but end up addicts and potheads, we should legalize hemp though, if we want any sort of energy reform independence.

Please learn to write, spell, and punctuate before posting in debate again.

There are few states in which people can acquire cannabis cards, as medical marijuana is
still illegal in the vast majority of states.

Marijuana is not physically addictive, so no, people will not "end up addicts." In fact, by legalizing marijuana, people would likely have reduced access to harder drugs, as they wouldn't have to go to dealers who could potentially encourage them to try other things, therefore eliminating a lot of the reasoning behind the "gateway drug" theory. As for people becoming potheads, is everyone who's ever drank an alcoholic? No. Moderation is key, and it is not the government's place to ban substances that are not particularly harmful when used safely. Weed is far less dangerous than alcohol, really; it doesn't make people violent, it's not physically addictive, you can't OD on it, etc etc.

This documentary on the subject is pretty interesting.

*cakedout*
post Nov 18 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Lariat @ Nov 18 2008, 06:25 PM) *
What are the benefits of legalizing marijuana? So who ever wants to can get high off their mind?

cancer patients who cant eat get an appetite

pain reliever

more that i dont know of

QUOTE(paperplane @ Nov 18 2008, 06:48 PM) *

There are few states in which people can acquire cannabis cards, as medical marijuana is

Marijuana is not physically addictive, so no, people will not "end up addicts." In fact, by legalizing marijuana, people would likely have reduced access to harder drugs, as they wouldn't have to go to dealers who could potentially encourage them to try other things, therefore eliminating a lot of the reasoning behind the "gateway drug" theory. As for people becoming potheads, is everyone who's ever drank an alcoholic? No. Moderation is key, and it is not the government's place to ban substances that are not particularly harmful when used safely. Weed is far less dangerous than alcohol, really; it doesn't make people violent, it's not physically addictive, you can't OD on it, etc etc.

LIES YOU CAN OD, JUST AFTER SMOKING LIKE 5000 POUNDS OF IT

*paperplane*
post Nov 18 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Lariat @ Nov 18 2008, 09:25 PM) *
What are the benefits of legalizing marijuana? So who ever wants to can get high off their mind?

Even if there were not real medical benefits, I'd still think it should be legalized. Yes, people should be able to get high if they want. If no one else is getting hurt, it is not the government's problem. People go on and on about how they want a small government, and then support government bans on things like marijuana or (rolleyes.gif) gay marriage. It's completely illogical. You shouldn't be asking what the benefits of legalizing something are, you should be asking how we benefit from having it illegal.

*cakedout*
post Nov 18 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #9

not to mention taxing it would be a small boost for the economy

*paperplane*
post Nov 18 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #10

Yeah, definitely better that than to continue wasting money by including pot in the the "war on drugs."

NoSex
post Nov 18 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #11

in the reverb chamber.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(Lariat @ Nov 18 2008, 08:25 PM) *

1. freedom is actualized:
we live in a country that proposes to be free. the contents of our minds are a primary aspect of personal freedom. if the government is telling us we cannot control the contents of our minds through the use of drugs, than we can't say we're a free country.
2. the black market is defeated:
the drug war has only made selling drugs more profitable, in an effect, this has added to the proliferation of drugs (making them more accessible to everyone). if we legalize drugs (especially harmless drugs like cannabis) we can eliminate a black market that supports organized crime all over this nation & supplies criminals with the power & money to operate. this will lower associated crime (remember, black market disputes can't be taken to court. if someone snags your scag, you shoot them).
3. innocent people are allowed to live:
over fifty percent of our prisons are full of non-violent drug offenders. these people don't deserve the sentences that they are given. further, they are a costly aspect of our policy; we pay to imprison them & everyone pays when they are torn form their work, their lives, & their families.
4. medicinal benefits:
medical weed already helps millions of people all over the world; we need to jump on the bandwagon already.
5. we end the drug war:
less needless spending & effort & time on a worthless (& offensive) war against the american people.
6. etc.:
you suck for not thinking of any of these.

IF EVOLUTION IS A CRIME ONLY CRIMINALS WILL EVOLVE!

synatribe
post Nov 18 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #12

AIDS at RAVES.

Member No: 598,878

QUOTE(paperplane @ Nov 18 2008, 09:48 PM) *

sorry smartass

MatMan1490
post Nov 18 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #13

Member No: 697,988

QUOTE(Lariat @ Nov 18 2008, 09:25 PM) *

Actually, Marijuana has been documented to have some theriputic effect, for patients with glaucoma, and for those dealing with the pain of Chemotherapy, or wieght loss associated with HIV/AIDS.

It can have positve effect, just like cough syrup, for some people, and for that reason, I think it should be legalized and taxed. The tax money could then be used to fund research, and detoxification and intervention.

It 'can' be useful, but, most folks don't want to even consider legalization, for fear of setting a dangerous precedent.

Seems rather narrow minded to me. Feel free to actually read a study on the effects of marijuana use, it could be a great help, but, without actually considering it, it isn't even being put up for discussion.

manic
post Nov 18 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #14

Member No: 683,638

I'd love to be able to smoke a joint and go on about my daily activites. Yes, it would be great.

applejaxkz
post Nov 18 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #15

Member No: 624,580

Marijuana does have some medicinal effects, which is why I believe it should be legalized. But I don't want to hear people saying "Oh it'll get abused and wah wah wah." What do you think people do with Alcohol. Sure legalize it, even if they make dumb ass laws like; you have to be 21, or in a designated area and etc.

Kay-
post Nov 19 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #16

BANG

Member No: 565,234

It also prevents alzheimer's biggrin.gif

applejaxkz
post Nov 19 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #17

Member No: 624,580

It also destroys your short term memory, and problem solving skills.

AimeeLynn
post Nov 19 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #18

here, here, and here

Member No: 206,103

QUOTE(paperplane @ Nov 18 2008, 09:48 PM) *

Agreed entirely!
Nothing wrong with weed.
Too much is bad.

Tomates
post Nov 19 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #19

poison

Member No: 629,020

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 18 2008, 09:36 PM) *
i disagree, medicinal marijuana should be definitely be legalized in all states in my opinion. even if people abuse it, i still think it should be legalized for medicinal use. i have a semi severe chronic back problem, and i'm in pain just about everyday and take pretty heavy prescribed pain killers that i'm basically addicted to. i can't just up and stop taking my dosage anymore without withdrawing. if being provided with a non physically addicting treatment helped then i don't care if some idiot teenagers somewhere abuse it as long as it's helping people in pain who have to cope with things like this on a day to day basis. is it really fair to everyone who would use it responsibly to not get to because someone else will abuse it? i think that option should be there for those it helps.
as far as legalizing it in general. i wouldn't say i'm 100% for that because i don't think i have all the facts. i definitely support decriminalizing it, and i probably support legalizing it in general. why is alcohol legal but marijuana not?
yeah and for the record, i don't smoke. so it's not like i'm one of the smokers who is like YEAH WOOHOOO. i don't now, and i highly doubt i would if it was legal since it being illegal isn't why i don't anyway.

I know someone who is a cancer survivor and is a junior in high school right now. The one thing she said when we were discussing this topic was "When i had cancer i was given all these drugs and the last thing i would need or want is another drug". Im aware medicinal marajuana can actually help my relieving the pain and increasing the appetite, but its one more drug and i think most patience dont want to keep taking and taking drugs.

I think the thing that bothered me most though about legalizing it was how the people who can have it are legally allowed to grow it, and it just bothers me how i hear and see high school students using it and how my former friend is using it now and is f*cking her life over overall now.

SharperMyspace
post Nov 19 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #20

Member No: 601,314

QUOTE(applejaxkz @ Nov 19 2008, 08:29 PM) *
It also destroys your short term memory, and problem solving skills.

Those are NOTHING compared to what Tobacco can do to you.

*paperplane*
post Nov 19 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #21

What does that quote have to do with anything? Marijuana would be a natural replacement for other pharmaceuticals, not "one more drug." It's effective, and could be used instead of taking other addictive chemicals. You obviously have no conception of what cancer patients want or need, and you really have a lot of growing up to do. But we're going by anecdotal evidence here, my aunt had cancer and my mom would buy weed for her. Because it is helpful in making people feel better. We need to prioritize people's health and well being over pharmaceutical companies.

Things should not be banned just because they have the potential to be abused. The people who will f*ck up their lives will f*ck up their lives regardless. I don't understand why "conservatives" feel that "personal responsibility" applies to economy, but not to anything that might approach "moral" territory. If cannabis were to be legalized, it would have an age limit like alcohol and cigarettes, and therefore probably not reach more high school kids than it does now. But as an adult, I should be able to get high off of a relatively harmless drug if I so choose. So long as I don't drive stoned (which is still much, much better than drunk driving) than it is really no one's business but my own. If I choose to "f*ck my life over" with it, that's my prerogative. Personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility.

You really need to grow up.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 19 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #22

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

^yeah what she said.

i think you missed my point. my point being that i'm physically dependent on the pain medicine i take now, and there's not really anyway around that because that's just the reality of high strength pain medicines, narcotics. it wouldn't be "one more drug", but really it would be one less drug, because it would be a replacement that isn't physically addicting. i don't want to keep taking and taking drugs, just like other people don't want to. so if there is an alternative they should be able to take advantage of that.

so i don't think you're looking at it like people in pain look at it. i would be willing to bet if you're friend said that, she doesn't know much about marijuana in the first place. it's probably a lot safer than any drugs she had to take.

and yeah, if we're going to ban everything that has the potential of being abused we'd have to ban the majority of drugs in the first place. so that makes no sense at all. we might as well ban tylenol, i mean people can abuse that!

misoshiru
post Nov 19 2008, 10:59 PM
Post #23

yan lin♥

Member No: 13,627

Marijuana was legalized in Massachusetts. Just felt like pointing that out.

dosomethin888
post Nov 19 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #24

Member No: 663,413

It is so annoying when people write that.

I dont think it should be legalized because it is a drug. For medicinal purposes, thats fine. Of course people are going to abuse it.. people abuse laws all the time. Ya, there are some benefits to legalizing it, but I dont want any drugs to be legal. Alcohol and drugs are different. That is why alcohol is legal.

*paperplane*
post Nov 19 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #25

You cannot be serious.

Caffeine is a drug.
Nicotine is a drug.
Aspirin is a drug.
Ephedrine is a drug.
Xanax is a drug.
ALCOHOL IS A DRUG.
etc. etc. etc.

Jesus f*cking Christ.

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: