Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
reparations
Rating 5 V
PurpleDaze112
post Apr 9 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 649,565

we talked about this in my history class. do you think black people should get reparations for slavery?

I actually do think so, and for these reasons.

1. they were PROMISED
2. slavery was an institution that not only displaced a people, but destroyed their culture and history
3. it would help the economy

reparations would cause each person of african descent (about 36 million in america)to get at least $10k. That would lead to new houses being purchased, cars bought, and educations paid for. Small businesses would be started too. And after all, Jews got reparations from the german gov't because of the holocaust, native americans get money for college from the feds, adn Japanese americans too. Slavery wasn't formally apologized for until bill clinton.

fameONE
post Apr 9 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #2

^_^

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 91,466

I honestly don't give a shit. I wouldn't be complaining if I got some cash, but I'm also aware of the fact that no one in my immediate ancestry was a slave. _unsure.gif

Uronacid
post Apr 9 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #3

Group: Official Member
Member No: 555,438

Slavery is long gone done and over with. We have a man who is half black representing our country as the president. There's a big difference between slavery and genocide. Everyone in this country can get money for college from the feds depending on their financial situation. The African Americans of today aren't victims of slavery.

fameONE
post Apr 9 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #4

^_^

Member No: 91,466

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 9 2009, 02:58 PM) *
The African Americans of today aren't victims of slavery.

We're just victims of the recession like everyone else.

Here's what the generally public (outside of the Black community) needs to understand; many of us aren't hung up on this reparations nonsense. I personally don't feel as though I'd deserve it.

brooklyneast05
post Apr 9 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #5

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i'm with brandon in that i don't really care a ton at the end of the day. although i do think black people undeniably deserve more than this country has ever given them for their work.

but just for the hell of it

black people should have gotten reparations a long, long time ago. would have made a lot more sense and been a lot simpler to do then. i don't think there's any way to dismiss the fact it was deserved. white people got to enjoy the luxury of building their wealth with free labor, and they've yet to have to pay anything for it. the black community still suffers from fall out of slavery, racism, segregation, ect and a lot of white people, families, companies, the united states in general still benefit from all the free labor they got. the black community has and continues to be f*cked, and if people think that this isn't at least somewhat due to all the set backs and flat out wrong doings we've had forced on us, then i think they're nuts.

there's a lot of problems in the black community, whether it be with identity, family, self worth, economic, education, whatever, that are easily linked back to our treatment. people who disagree with this are either A) in denial or B) ignorant. i don't completely blame them in their ignorance because it's just one of those things that i feel like if you aren't in the black community, you usually don't get it. i think it's really complex in general.

in an ideal world, reparations should be paid out. they already should have. not in the form of a check either imo, but in the form of investing money into the black communities for things like business, education, ect.

i don't believe it's ever gonna happen though. i don't think white people now should have to pay money out for stuff they didn't do. although i do think they should at least acknowledge that their community has had it a million times easier than anyone else here in america. i can't think of any other group here who's oppressed, cheated, killed, beat, forced, or stolen as much as white people here. if they can't even recognize what a gigantic leg up they've gotten and that they still reap the benifits of it, then i don't really know what to say about it. they really just do not get it.

i don't anticipate any white person to agree with me though, or even really see where i'm coming from. i don't think i've ever talked to one about this stuff who did. *waits for michael to jump on me for this statement*

Uronacid
post Apr 10 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 9 2009, 04:24 PM) *
i don't anticipate any white person to agree with me though, or even really see where i'm coming from. i don't think i've ever talked to one about this stuff who did. *waits for michael to jump on me for this statement*

I get it. I just don't bother with the argument. Treating the black community as a charity case only makes racism worse.

heyo-captain-jac...
post Apr 10 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #7

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Member No: 602,927

It's not that it would be a bad thing, but it would be extremely difficult to pay reparations to every black man in America.

I say no.

brooklyneast05
post Apr 10 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #8

I'm Jc

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 10 2009, 10:33 AM) *
I get it. I just don't bother with the argument. Treating the black community as a charity case only makes racism that much worse.

well white people have ignored their debts this entire time and i don't think that made anything better. paying what you owe isn't charity imo. i think it's too far past now to do things very accurately, but still. back then, white people had a huge debt and they never will have to pay for the labor they got. it's bullshit, but i guess what can you do.

QUOTE(9001 @ Apr 10 2009, 10:34 AM) *
It's not that it would be a bad thing, but it would be extremely difficult to pay reparations to every black man in America.

I say no.

yeah and i agree. and honestly if it came down to it, i wouldn't want a check. i would want the money to put into the community for scholarships or things like that.

Uronacid
post Apr 10 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 10 2009, 11:40 AM) *
well white people have ignored their debts this entire time and i don't think that made anything better. paying what you owe isn't charity imo. i think it's too far past now to do things very accurately, but still. back then, white people had a huge debt and they never will have to pay for the labor they got. it's bullshit, but i guess what can you do.

Ok, then you could also look at it like this. While it was terrible for the white people in the past to do what they did. African Americans would never have had such a presence in America if it wasn't for slavery. The opportunities available to African Americans in this country simplely wouldn't be available if slavery didn't exist.

QUOTE(9001 @ Apr 10 2009, 11:34 AM) *

I say no.

Why would every black man be eligible for reparations anyway. There were roughly 3-4 million african american slaves back in the day. According the U.S. Census Bureau the are 40+ million african americans living in america today. Who's to say who gets what and how much. I believe that there have been many reparations that have already been made to the african americans. In the form of laws, holidays, etc...

brooklyneast05
post Apr 10 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #10

I'm Jc

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 10 2009, 10:44 AM) *
Ok, then you could also look at it like this. While it was terrible for the white people in the past to do what they did. African Americans would never have had such a presence in America if it wasn't for slavery. The opportunities available to African Americans in this country simplely wouldn't be available if slavery didn't exist.

i can't see how anyone can make this argument whatsoever. i just never will understand a mentality that we're supposed to in the end thank the white people because now we get to be americans! i don't get it. that's just messed up to me shrug.gif

heyo-captain-jac...
post Apr 10 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #11

/人◕‿‿◕人\

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 10 2009, 10:44 AM) *

I understand this, but I don't agree with it.

While 90% of African Americans wouldn't be called African Americans if it wasn't for slavery, there is certainly nothing to thank whites for. Slavery was too much for too long. If it didn't last so long, and there wasn't so much abuse in the system, maybe then your point would be valid.

Uronacid
post Apr 10 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 10 2009, 11:49 AM) *
i can't see how anyone can make this argument whatsoever. i just never will understand a mentality that we're supposed to in the end thank the white people because now we get to be americans! i don't get it. that's just messed up to me shrug.gif

Tell that to all the people strugling to get a green card. I'm sure they'd be happy to take your citizenship in return for their own.

QUOTE(9001 @ Apr 10 2009, 11:57 AM) *
I understand this, but I don't agree with it.

While 90% of African Americans wouldn't be called African Americans if it wasn't for slavery, there is certainly nothing to thank whites for. Slavery was too much for too long. If it didn't last so long, and there wasn't so much abuse in the system, maybe then your point would be valid.

What's the difference? I'm not saying I'm agreeing with what happened. I don't think that anyone should be enslaved, however there's good that came out of all this and I'm pointing that out.

heyo-captain-jac...
post Apr 10 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #13

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Sure some good came out of it, but at the expense of freedom and in many cases, life.

I'd rather live in Africa than spend 400 years doing hard work and getting beat for it.

Uronacid
post Apr 10 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #14

To Brooklyn:
I missed your question earlier. I don't expect the African Americans to thank white people for slavery. That would be ludacris, however letting the whole slavery thing go might be nice. I'm not saying forget history all together. I'm saying recognize that slavery was abolished more than 100 years ago, and the African Americans of today aren't victims of slavery.

QUOTE(9001 @ Apr 10 2009, 12:12 PM) *
Sure some good came out of it, but at the expense of freedom and in many cases, life.

I'd rather live in Africa than spend 400 years doing hard work and getting beat for it.

In a sense, those people paved the way for future generations. Have you ever been to a third world country? I'd go read up on how unrewarding a life Africa is before you make a statement like that one. Sure there are a few exceptions, however the majority of blacks in Africa are living in real poverty not the USA poverty.

http://cozay.com/

schizo
post Apr 10 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #15

Member No: 506,205

I don't see how giving out $10k to every black person in America would help the economy, especially in the state that it's in now. I understand that you need to spend money to make money, but we've already spent enough.

Slavery was abolished a long time ago. If reparations were going to be given, they should have been handed out then. Nobody from that time is still alive, so why should the current government pay for something they had nothing to do with? The fact is that almost every group of people has faced some sort of harsh treatment or persecution in the past. My great grandparents had to leave Poland because of WWII, and my family has never received any payment from that (nor would we want it because none of us were effected by it).

Plus, how could they possibly find every black person with ancestors that were slaves? Plenty of black people from Africa and other countries have come to America since slavery was abolished. What stops them from claiming they should get reparations, too?

Uronacid
post Apr 10 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(schizo @ Apr 10 2009, 01:36 PM) *
Slavery was abolished a long time ago. If reparations were going to be given, they should have been handed out then. Nobody from that time is still alive, so why should the current government pay for something they had nothing to do with? The fact is that almost every group of people has faced some sort of harsh treatment or persecution in the past. My great grandparents had to leave Poland because of WWII, and my family has never received any payment from that (nor would we want it because none of us were effected by it).

Well said.

illriginal
post Apr 10 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #17

Member No: 455,274

They do get reparations. It's called Section 8 housing and Welfare.

QUOTE(schizo @ Apr 10 2009, 01:36 PM) *
I don't see how giving out $10k to every black person in America would help the economy, especially in the state that it's in now. I understand that you need to spend money to make money, but we've already spent enough.

That simple ideology, while it's true on an individual level, it is totally not true on a national level.

Uronacid
post Apr 10 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(illmortal @ Apr 10 2009, 03:05 PM) *
They do get reparations. It's called Section 8 housing and Welfare.

LOL, well in that case.... Hate Crimes and Affirmative Action. Haha!

QUOTE(illmortal @ Apr 10 2009, 03:05 PM) *
That simple ideology, while it's true on an individual level, it is totally not true on a national level.

Trouble is ill, every dollar we give to our nation gets flushed down the toilet of corruption. They keep giving everything to the Federal Reserve Bank which cannot be audited.... *sigh*

brooklyneast05
post Apr 10 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #19

I'm Jc

this is why i don't bother trying to have this discussion with white people. it's always something because they're in denial that at the end of the day, they didn't pay their debt. there is no way around it. they owed a lot, and they didn't and never will pay it. it's a bitch move, and it's more of a bitch move when white people act like they have no responsibility in the state of the black community today. what a joke. white people have some responsibility in the poor conditions of pretty much every minority here in my opinion.

slavery was abolished a long time ago, but it's not like everything was all grand once they abolished slavery. i mean white people still held black people down a really f*cking long time after that. i guess people forget that the civil rights movement wasn't that long ago.

it's a bunch of what ifs. nobody knows that i would have been worse off today if my ancestors hadn't been taken away and forced make another people rich. i don't know why people wanna act like if it wasn't for them i'd be dirt poor, naked, starving and living in a hut, as if that's how the entire continent of africa is. it's impossible to compare anyway because we're comparing the current US and the current africa. without the slave trade, we don't know the that US would be how it is today and we don't know that africa would either.

but it's whatever cause like i've said, if you're white, i don't even see a point in arguing with you. especially as long as people want me to be glad for everything that's happened to my family and community shrug.gif i just don't agree with that.

edit
oh i guess i haven't gotten my reparation yet then since i'm not on welfare and haven't known anyone in my family who has been.

Uronacid
post Apr 10 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 10 2009, 03:13 PM) *
it's a bitch move, and it's more of a bitch move when white people act like they have no responsibility in the state of the black community today. what a joke. white people have some respon...

I'm not acting like it's not out responsibility. I'm telling you it's not our responsibility. There are plenty of poor white people too. Bad things happen to everyone. This is the most racist thing I have ever seen you say.

brooklyneast05
post Apr 10 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #21

I'm Jc

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 10 2009, 02:19 PM) *
I'm not acting like it's not out responsibility. I'm telling you it's not our responsibility. There are plenty of poor white people too. Bad things happen to everyone. This is the most racist thing I have ever seen you say.

i'm not saying white people individually are responsible, i'm saying as a whole, yes i do think the black community is f*cked partly because of the white one. i can't see how they aren't at all at fault.

the white one oppressed the black one for hundreds of years, and then the 1960s comes along and everything is supposed to be fine and well now? i don't get it. how can you f*ck people over for hundreds of years and think they should be recovered in 1/5th of the time. how can you f*ck people over period, and not have any connection to their current problem?

maybe it's offensive to you. it's offense to me to be told i'm supposed to be glad slavery happened, so i guess we're even. i just don't understand when people don't think the black community and white communities problems aren't intertwined.

superstitious
post Apr 10 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #22

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

I think that the general use of "whites" and "blacks" here is narrow minded altogether. The entire act of slavery is a mockery to humanity and I completely understand that in the past, massive amounts of people were enslaved unfairly and not compensated. However, I can, to some extent, understand what Josh is saying by stating that it is not this generation's fault that such atrocities ocurred. How long will the current generation of white people be blamed for our ancestor's mistakes?

I get that by saying that, I might get lumped into this "white" group of people that folks like JC can't seem to discuss this issue with. I'll respect that, but I'm not going to lie and say that I don't think that it's unfair. Of course I disagree with anyone who says or thinks that "black community and white communities problems aren't intertwined." All communites, regardless of what race or minority are intertwined. We're in a huge melting pot, after all. I just believe that we, as a group shouldn't be held accountable for actions performed generations ago.

Having said all that, I'm not opposed to reparations. I don't agree with the sentiment that if the concept of white people today being blamed for crimes committed by white people a long time ago.

brooklyneast05
post Apr 10 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #23

I'm Jc

QUOTE(superstitious @ Apr 10 2009, 02:46 PM) *
Having said all that, I'm not opposed to reparations. I don't agree with the sentiment that if the concept of white people today being blamed for crimes committed by white people a long time ago.

i don't either, and i've said that from the beginning.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 9 2009, 03:24 PM) *
i don't think white people now should have to pay money out for stuff they didn't do.

superstitious
post Apr 10 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #24

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

All good, JC. Just giving an additional perspective (even it the end result is the same).

Edit, on a completely goofy note, I'm drinking this:

Not terribly funny, but I had a bit of a giggle because of this particular conversation.

brooklyneast05
post Apr 10 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #25

I'm Jc

no i know what you mean. and my use of "white" is narrow, i won't even bother denying that. i think you know enough about me to know how i am and how i'm not in the end.

i guess just understand that when i talk about this subject with white people, my experience is that i usually end up getting told that i should be thankful anyway because now i'm living the good life in america. i duno really.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: