Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Classes that should be taught in high school.
Rating 1 V
manny-the-dino
post Feb 6 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Administrator
Member No: 498,468

I was going to put this in School but since it turned into a debate in my English class, I figured it would turn into one here as well.

My professor brought this up yesterday. He sent us some articles to read. One here & the other here. Those of you in high school, what do you think they should be teaching you? And those of you who are out of high school, what do you wish they taught you? A lot of people said finance for sure. And anything credit related as well. Social skills also came up. With texting & all that, some kids don't even know how to form complete sentences anymore. Some guy in my class said that he thinks our parents should be teach us these things instead of schools. I dk. I was going to say some other things but they slipped my mind :(

So, DEBATE!

Oh wait, here's a list of possibilites:
  • Credit
  • Finance
  • Environmental
  • Compositing
  • Relationships
  • Parenting
  • CPR
  • Meditation
  • Social class
  • How to read financial terminology / contracts

hi-C
post Feb 7 2009, 01:12 AM
Post #2

Amberific.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 29,772

A basic level finance or economics class, definitely. So kids'll learn that money doesn't grow on trees. I'd also like to see PE mandatory all four years and perhaps a nutrition class (like for real, none of that stupid stuff you do in Health class). It'll help with adolescent obesity. When I was in school, we definitely didn't take finance and PE was only mandatory for one year. And every student should be required to take an arts class, especially music.

Tsukuyomi-No-Mok...
post Feb 7 2009, 03:57 AM
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No: 709,923

yeaaaa i def think PE should def be taught n noty jus some push over class where u can jus get a doctors note n u cool.
also yea financial classes should be taught n some other things as well to make sure kids know how to survive

Joanne
post Feb 7 2009, 04:03 AM
Post #4

Member No: 95,404

QUOTE(hi-C @ Feb 6 2009, 10:12 PM) *
A basic level finance or economics class, definitely. So kids'll learn that money doesn't grow on trees.

I know for a fact that a lot of people would hate this class, but it really would be extremely helpful. And even if schools don't provide these kinds of courses, English classes should require students to read Rich Dad, Poor Dad or something similar to it. I still have yet to read it, but my mom and sister's boyfriend keep bringing up how amazing it is.

I'd also like to see PE mandatory all four years and perhaps a nutrition class (like for real, none of that stupid stuff you do in Health class). It'll help with adolescent obesity.

My high school required PE for grades 8 to 10, and then we were required to take either a PE class in grade 11/12 or fulfill 80(?) hours of physical activity (a lot of people cheated on this, of course) in order to graduate. Even though it sometimes felt like a major pain, I'm glad we had that requirement; there are so many people who don't do any physical activity/exercise at all and this at least kind of gets people off their asses to some degree.

A lot of the possible courses Natalia listed seem helpful and all... but I think if those classes were available, not many people would sign up for them and they'll just get shut down. Or people would take them because they're 'easy As' and not really take them seriously. And how do you even grade people on things like relationships and meditation?

fameONE
post Feb 7 2009, 04:23 AM
Post #5

^_^

Member No: 91,466

It's imperative that seniors in high school learn about credit in a way that they can understand. We live in a nation of debt and bad credit. There should be no reason an 18 year old should have to begin life as an adult with a strike against him financially.

Gigi
post Feb 7 2009, 04:32 AM
Post #6

in a matter of time

Member No: 191,357

Definitely lower-level economics. Sometimes, during my econ classes, I'm shocked at the stuff that we learn that applies to everyday life. And I cringe to think of all the people who haven't ever taken econ and wouldn't know anything about it (unless they educated themselves).

And psychology too, only because it really broadens your understanding of human thinking and behaviour and the science behind how you behave can really open your mind to other things.

And a nutrition class. My friend is literally eating JUNK now that she is living by herself. We did take a nutrition class which was mandatory but she obviously didn't learn anything from it. I am actually worried she will get scurvy. She might read this and get mad at me but she already knows I'm worried, so...;)

Tomates
post Feb 7 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #7

poison

Group: Official Member
Member No: 629,020

Our school has an economics class that right now most sophmores are taking. Though i took it when i was a freshman. Its kinda screwy with how they changed the requirements and they bagged the class for a year and then brought it back.
We also have something like a parenting class only i want to say its a early childhood development class. I don't really know what its about but im guessing something on the same page?

hypnotique
post Feb 7 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #8

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 478,024

i think we need to focus on offering more vocational training programs for high schoolers like the way my school did it.In junior and senior year your had the option of going to this school called TCD and you did stuff that perked your interest (auto body technician,firefighter/paramedic sciences,culinary arts,child development, computer networking,graphic design shit like that.

Because lets face it not every kid is going to go off to some expensive ass university to get a degree. and not every kid is book savvy they are the hands on type and these programs really help it blossom out.

Joanne
post Feb 7 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Gigi @ Feb 7 2009, 01:32 AM) *
And a nutrition class. My friend is literally eating JUNK now that she is living by herself. We did take a nutrition class which was mandatory but she obviously didn't learn anything from it. I am actually worried she will get scurvy. She might read this and get mad at me but she already knows I'm worried, so...;)

She actually took a nutrition class again last semester. *sigh*

shanaynay
post Feb 7 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #10

Has a PhD in horribleness

Member No: 686,301

Second languages other than french and spanish... I want some Japanese or German.

karmakiller
post Feb 7 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #11

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Group: Mentor
Member No: 384,020

Language courses that are offered depends a lot on the school, at my school you could take French, Spanish, German, Mandarin, Japanese, or Latin.

From the sensei topic in the school forum:
QUOTE(karmakiller @ Feb 4 2009, 06:52 PM) *
How to manage their money. When I was in high school there were so many kids that were clueless about credit card interest, writing things off on taxes, filing taxes, and even balancing a check book.

I also think there should be a basic mechanic class. When I was in high school it was all boys that would take those classes, but those classes went in depth. They need a basic class that teaches kids how to change their oil, fix pipes around the house, etc. I know it sounds laughable, but I know a lot of clueless people.

manny-the-dino
post Feb 7 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #12

... I'd also like to see PE mandatory all four years and perhaps a nutrition class (like for real, none of that stupid stuff you do in Health class). It'll help with adolescent obesity. ... And every student should be required to take an arts class, especially music.

I totally agree with the mandatory PE & nutrition classes. At my high school we had to take 2 semesters of PE & 2 semesters of some type of health/nutrition class in order to graduate. And that's nothing, really. Sometimes the activities the teacher made us do didn't even break a sweat. I also agree about the art classes. They should add more classes, imo. Because when I was in high school, the art classes they offered were Art, Ceramics, & Schola Cantorum (choir). I think some more variety would make kids more interested.

QUOTE(Joannnnnne @ Feb 7 2009, 01:03 AM) *
A lot of the possible courses Natalia listed seem helpful and all... but I think if those classes were available, not many people would sign up for them and they'll just get shut down. Or people would take them because they're 'easy As' and not really take them seriously. And how do you even grade people on things like relationships and meditation?

Yeah. "/ Which is why they should be mandatory.

QUOTE(Gigi @ Feb 7 2009, 01:32 AM) *
And psychology too, only because it really broadens your understanding of human thinking and behaviour and the science behind how you behave can really open your mind to other things.

I really like your psychology suggestion. Didn't think of that one. I also think it would help us with critical thinking to help us think outside of the box, you know? Or actually put some thought into something instead of just stating the obvious.

QUOTE(hypnotique @ Feb 7 2009, 07:55 AM) *
i think we need to focus on offering more vocational training programs for high schoolers like the way my school did it.In junior and senior year your had the option of going to this school called TCD and you did stuff that perked your interest (auto body technician,firefighter/paramedic sciences,culinary arts,child development, computer networking,graphic design shit like that.

Because lets face it not every kid is going to go off to some expensive ass university to get a degree. and not every kid is book savvy they are the hands on type and these programs really help it blossom out.

So true. The training would help a lot of kids out. Especially now that a lot of seniors in high school don't know what they want to do with their lives. I also think that a course in choosing a career would help a lot.

QUOTE(shanaynay @ Feb 7 2009, 09:35 AM) *
Second languages other than french and spanish... I want some Japanese or German.

Yes. Because let's face it, spanish & french aren't the only languages in the world. I mean they may be the most common ones but some diversity wouldn't hurt.

Do you guys think our parents should be teaching us these things or schools?

hi-C
post Feb 7 2009, 04:34 PM
Post #13

Amberific.

I think when it comes to something like economics or finances that that should be the parents' responsibility. But the other things, I think parents get lazy and figure it's up to the school to teach their kids.

Maccabee
post Feb 7 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #14

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 593,382

Computer class so people like me will have one class that they dont have to study for and get straight a's.

brooklyneast05
post Feb 7 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #15

I'm Jc

Member No: 437,556

i took a class that was a "trial" class and it was called something like "building wealth" or something. we learned about everything from how to balance a check book, to how the stock market works, to having people who work at banks come and talk to us about credit and things like that.

i think everyone should have a class like that, and they need to make sure it's "hands on" in a sense. they should have real businessmen and women come and talk about stuff. they should have to balance an actual check book. also when we learned about the stock market we played a stock market simulation thing, where you would actually get a designated amount and invest in companies of your choice on this site online. then we had to keep up with it through out the whole semester, selling and buying as we saw fit and keeping up with the actual stock market to make our decisions off of.

dosomethin888
post Feb 7 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #16

Member No: 663,413

I think PE should be required for every one. And a class on how to respect your elders and stop being spoiled brats should be taught to every student also.

brooklyneast05
post Feb 7 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #17

I'm Jc

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Feb 7 2009, 06:57 PM) *
I think PE should be required for every one. And a class on how to respect your elders and stop being spoiled brats should be taught to every student also.

but what if their parents beat them every night and stuff _unsure.gif

i always think about that. how much it would suck if someone told you respect your parents and you go home and your parents treat you like shit.

shanaynay
post Feb 7 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Feb 7 2009, 05:42 PM) *
also when we learned about the stock market we played a stock market simulation thing, where you would actually get a designated amount and invest in companies of your choice on this site online. then we had to keep up with it through out the whole semester, selling and buying as we saw fit and keeping up with the actual stock market to make our decisions off of.

I lost so much money the day the PS3 came out. Sony's stock just plummeted...

not actual money of course.

I had a few seperate classes that kind of added up to what you mentioned. We had a business class, most of the first semester was balancing finances. Our school has an economics class thats mandatory. If you want there is also an accounting class.

hi-C
post Feb 7 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #19

Amberific.

QUOTE(JosephCohen123 @ Feb 7 2009, 05:21 PM) *
Computer class so people like me will have one class that they dont have to study for and get straight a's.
You know that's not the point of this thread, right?

brooklyneast05
post Feb 7 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #20

I'm Jc

QUOTE(shanaynay @ Feb 7 2009, 07:07 PM) *
I lost so much money the day the PS3 came out. Sony's stock just plummeted...

not actual money of course.

I had a few seperate classes that kind of added up to what you mentioned. We had a business class, most of the first semester was balancing finances. Our school has an economics class thats mandatory. If you want there is also an accounting class.

yeah i was invested in apple, and then they did some update of some kind and my money sky rocketed. i was like f*ck yeah i love the stock market. i ended up losing all that though.

manny-the-dino
post Feb 7 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #21

QUOTE(JosephCohen123 @ Feb 7 2009, 02:21 PM) *

They already offer computer classes. At least at my high school they did. And it wasn't an easy A class. We had to do assignments in Word, Excel, & PowerPoint. If it were one of those easy A classes, then you really wouldn't be learning anything. It'd probably be one of those classes that if you show up everyday, you'd get an A. mellow.gif

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Feb 7 2009, 02:57 PM) *
And a class on how to respect your elders [& parents] and stop being spoiled brats should be taught to every student also.

Oh man this one would be good for my brother.

I remember in my Econ class, our teacher made us predict the dow every week. It was pretty fun but towards the end of the semester he stopped doing it because most people didn't do it. I learned a lot in that class. I actually liked it although it dealt with a lot of equations & confusing things.

shanaynay
post Feb 7 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(JosephCohen123 @ Feb 7 2009, 05:21 PM) *

I thought you were homeschooled...

Joanne
post Feb 7 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(manny-the-dino @ Feb 7 2009, 12:59 PM) *
Yeah. "/ Which is why they should be mandatory.

Oh, I missed that. But the thing is that if they all become mandatory, there would be absolutely no time/blocks left for elective courses where students get to learn what they're actually interested in. And that would be a shame.

Maccabee
post Feb 7 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #24

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 593,382

QUOTE(shanaynay @ Feb 7 2009, 05:53 PM) *
I thought you were homeschooled...

I am homeschooled. but i still pick which classes i take ot get credits in.

LittleMissSunshi...
post Feb 7 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #25

rawr?

Group: Official Member
Member No: 285,858

COOKING! heh, there's no cooking class in my high school.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: