Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Prestige, (mmm bowie!)
S-Majere
post Feb 4 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #1

Addict

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 538,522

I watched The Prestige for the first time last night on blue-ray. Wow, what a movie. If I'd been paying attention I probably would have made the effort to see this in the cinema. Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale AND DAVID BOWIE. I must admit it was a lot darker than I was expecting it to be - and the midpart to the ending is shocking! Anyone else have any thoughts on this one?

karmakiller
post Feb 6 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #2

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Group: Mentor
Member No: 384,020

Wow there's not a topic on this? I thought it was looooooooong. I got really bored at times and really antsy. I think it's a good story, but for some reason it seemed a bit preditable at parts. I think it was filmed beautifully and has great acting, which makes up for the me being bored parts.

S-Majere
post Feb 7 2008, 05:24 AM
Post #3

Addict

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 538,522

I did a search, not in the first few pages!

Yeah, I know what you mean. A lot of the film was just about the rivalry and mess between Bale and Jackman - the bullet catch was an awful scene, it made me cringe! But I like how you're shown the outcome of the rivalry at the beginning - a Jackman clone drowning! - which makes you think you know what's coming. Very dark, very interesting. Bowie's accent was the shit.

*futura*
post Aug 31 2010, 05:16 AM
Post #4

bump

Holy shit. Why is Nolan so brilliant? I re-watched this the other day and it's definitely one of those films that you can watch 50 times and pick up things you somehow missed the last time (but then again I think that's how all
Nolan's films are).

There are some things I'm not sure of though. And maybe I missed the explanation sometime during the movie but
Which Bale tied Hugh Jackman's wife and ended up killing her? Obviously the opposite one was at her funeral. But why not just let Hugh Jackman's character know that he was a twin in the first place? Was Michael Caine's character behind the whole thing the entire time?
I find it easier using actor's named instead of character's lol

smash
post Sep 6 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #5

f your couch

Group: Official Member
Member No: 491,301

i think the Bale who wasn't always in disguise was the one who was responsible for Jackman's wife's death. i think they kept him a secret because Bale's character was selfish and there's the whole suspension of disbelief thing. if even one person knew about the twin there would always be a chance that the cat would be out of the bag and there goes the genius behind all of their parlor tricks. Michael Caine: i think he just decided to take matters into his own hands once he saw how corrupt things had gotten.

man i need to watch this movie again. i've always compared it with The Illusionist (another great movie) because i feel like they were opposites. even though i wasn't pleased with the ending, The Prestige was more enjoyable for me because of it's darkness, suspension, and never ending revenge. The Illusionist was brighter and playful. both were cast very well. love. except for ScarJo, as usual.

*futura*
post Sep 6 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #6

yeah that's true. but I can't help but get the feeling that michael caine and bale/the bales were working together the whole time, because in the end, when michael caine is seen leaving the place where he and hugh jackman kept the machine, bale is seen walking in and they nod to each other. like does michael caine know what bale is about to do? /CONFUSION

SAME HERE. I was like...wow this reminds me so much of The Illusionist.

smash
post Sep 11 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #7

f your couch

Group: Official Member
Member No: 491,301

i just had an "OOOH!" moment. good point. definitely gonna watch this sometime tomorrow.

*futura*
post Sep 17 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #8

haha right?!?! I watched it with my sister and we were both like " _dry.gif we should watch this again"

datass
post Sep 19 2010, 08:46 AM
Post #9

(′ ・ω・`)

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 72,477

i love this movie, i watched it again just few weeks ago, and it's really different when you're watching it the second time. it's a bit like youre spotting for clues that lead up to the climax, which is kinda fun.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: