Member No: 511,775

Sorry, J.K. Rowling.

Comptine
post Feb 4 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #27

Sing to Me

Group: Member
Member No: 10,808

She's not like a literature mastermind but she knows how to tell a story really well. Harry Potter is if you get into or not, just like any other author/series.

Gigi
post Feb 4 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #28

in a matter of time

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 191,357

Agreed. She's definitely not the best writer in the world, but her successes with the series reflects upon her kickass ability to tell a story. Whereas Twilight lady sucks ass with the writing, but manages to sell books.

I hate it when people say "Well at least they're reading books rather than watching television." Honestly I'd rather my daughter spend time watching television than reading a sappy chick's book about vampires and melted junk and apples and sexy abstinence and other shit that makes no sense.

You know what pisses me off the most? When the middle-aged women rave about how they love Twilight. STFU BITCH AND PICK UP A COSMO AND THEN WATCH OPRAH/THE VIEW. GOD.

Joanne
post Feb 4 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #29

Member No: 95,404

What I find funny about the Twilight series is that it really does pull in people. A friend of mine who I was absolutely certain would HATE the series (I mean, come on... vampires?) actually got sucked in and enjoyed the book. But then again she said the plot was really childish and that the writing style was dreadful. Apparently the hardest word in the first book was "terra cotta".

She was also very disappointed when she found out Robert Pattinson was Edward Cullen.

technicolour
post Feb 4 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #30

show me a garden thats bursting to life

Member No: 115,987

QUOTE(Gigi @ Feb 4 2009, 09:26 PM) *
You know what pisses me off the most? When the middle-aged women rave about how they love Twilight. STFU BITCH AND PICK UP A COSMO AND THEN WATCH OPRAH/THE VIEW. GOD.

And this is why I LOVE reading your posts, Gigi. Seriously.

Tramatize
post Feb 4 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #31

Group: Official Member
Member No: 585,380

Haha, i haven't read or even taken a look at any twilight books, but just by the looks of it i know i wont like it, its one of those things you can't stand, yet have no reason too.
But my literature teacher is reading the first book, and reading this Stephen King article made me laugh, because my teacher usually has a good taste in things like that, even tho shes annoying and has to have EVERYTHING proper, she'll get steamed if she sees/hears someone say "Hisself".

Gigi
post Feb 4 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #32

in a matter of time

If that's the case, wouldn't he be similarly jealous of JK Rowling?

TBH Stephen King doesn't need to be jealous of another author's appeal with his already immense success.

Gigi
post Feb 4 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #33

in a matter of time

Wait, that makes no sense. So you're saying that he's jealous because she's got appeal (which he has as well) and because she's a bad writer (and he's a good writer)? I don't know if that's jealousy; that sort of implies indignation.

technicolour
post Feb 5 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #34

I think what he's saying is that, more or less, King's pissed/jealous because Meyer is so popular and yet a horrible writer.

Comptine
post Feb 5 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #35

Sing to Me

Member No: 10,808

I don't think jealous is the word.

I think it's indignation at having his art form get shat on.

HeartOfPandora
post Feb 5 2009, 01:05 AM
Post #36

i like boobies, yes I do. I like boobies - how 'bout you?

Member No: 662,457

^ Pretty much.

He's an amazing amazing and his books have such presence, and then some second rate bitch comes along and completely destroys any vision the world might have had for great novelists. I swear to you, five years from now, we're going to see at least ten books spawned from this stupid series, and they're going to be crap, and they're going to have the same style of writing. Repeat process.

Also, anyone else notice that she used the EXACT same story plot in all of her books?! Intense focus on Bella, she whines / gets her way, something goes horribly, horribly wrong and it looks like the end of the world - but wait! A miraculous save. Oohh no I lied, something else horrid happens and it's all crap again, but then Edward saves the day and they all live happily ever after - or at least until Bella screws it up again. _dry.gif

Major props to King for calling her out. Blaaaah, making me rant...

hypnotique
post Feb 5 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #37

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 478,024

QUOTE(divergent @ Feb 4 2009, 10:05 PM) *
cmon, king's just jealous she's got appeal.

THAT IS NOT FUNNY.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS MELTED JUNK CONCEPT I HAVE BEEN SEEING?

technicolour
post Feb 5 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #38

I think what people are failing to realize is that Meyers books are from the perspective of a 17/18 year old GIRL. Come on, of course the writing isn't going to be superior and eloquent. That just wouldn't fit with the story.

Also, King's books are geared more towards adults, generally speaking. And yes his writing is MUCH better. But that's because he's writing a whole different type of story.

Meyer's writing is as plain as an apple. But King's writing is like an apple pie, perfect ingredients all created together for one delicious result.

Maybe delicious was the wrong word...

Gigi
post Feb 5 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #39

in a matter of time

^ Hmm. While your point is valid, I can't help thinking that just because something is from a young girl's perspective, it doesn't give her the right to dumb down the material. In fact it's rather insulting to an 18 year old girl like myself.

I'd probably say her writing is more for adolescent girls to read. But the ease of readability of the book, plus the uh, attractive plot has caused an massive amount of people to get into it too. I don't think she ever intended for readers over the age of 15, and male readers, to get into her books.

technicolour
post Feb 5 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #40

It is incredibly dumbed down. I won't argue with that. I don't necessarily find it insulting, more like incredibly easy reading. I love reading James Patterson and even Jane Austen and with those you kind of have to pay attention and be wary where you left off in the story. With these, they're just really simple reading. Like Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events.

I think in the beginning it was intended for just 13-16 year old girls to read. But it blew up and EVERYONE started reading it.

I haven't read a single Harry Potter book, so I can't compare it to Rowling's.

batman
post Feb 5 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #41

Member No: 696,018

Meyer's problem goes far beyond just "dumbed down" writing. Her Mary Sue characters and incredibly flat and disappointing plot-line are what, in my opinion, makes her a horrible author. I hate what she's done with vampires, I hate her main characters, etc.

To tell the truth, I have no clue why I read all four books. I guess I wanted to see what would happen after each one, hoping that things would get better, but it was just one disappointment after another.

HeartOfPandora
post Feb 5 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #42

i like boobies, yes I do. I like boobies - how 'bout you?

Member No: 662,457

QUOTE(technicolour @ Feb 5 2009, 01:53 PM) *
Meyer's writing is as plain as an apple. But King's writing is like an apple pie, perfect ingredients all created together for one delicious result.

loool.gif

hypnotique
post Feb 5 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #43

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 478,024

QUOTE(technicolour @ Feb 5 2009, 01:53 PM) *
I think what people are failing to realize is that Meyers books are from the perspective of a 17/18 year old GIRL. Come on, of course the writing isn't going to be superior and eloquent. That just wouldn't fit with the story.

Also, King's books are geared more towards adults, generally speaking. And yes his writing is MUCH better. But that's because he's writing a whole different type of story.

hmmm i want apple pie now.

livwho
post May 12 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #44

Group: Official Member
Member No: 568,102

DEFINITELY Rowling ftw. I'm ready to burn my Twilight books.

brooklyneast05
post May 15 2009, 01:45 PM
Post #45

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

they suck

PurpleDaze112
post May 15 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #46

Member No: 649,565

QUOTE(Gigi @ Feb 4 2009, 11:26 PM) *
Agreed. She's definitely not the best writer in the world, but her successes with the series reflects upon her kickass ability to tell a story. Whereas Twilight lady sucks ass with the writing, but manages to sell books.

I hate it when people say "Well at least they're reading books rather than watching television." Honestly I'd rather my daughter spend time watching television than reading a sappy chick's book about vampires and melted junk and apples and sexy abstinence and other shit that makes no sense.

Amen. Seriously, people make it out like if a 16 year old (btw, and you should be reading REAL books by that age) picks up some shitty book they'll just start reading plato and bronte overnight. they'll just keep reading sixth grade books and eventually de-volve into a vh1 reality show contestant. It's sad.

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: