Retro Red and Green Icon Coloring
Click on thumbnailed images to enlarge
1. We'll start off by opening an image. I used one of the amazing Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe courtesy of here. Crop it to your liking. I think this coloring works best with high-quality bright to semi-bright celebrity photoshoot photos. To avoid confusion, try using the same image that I'm using.
2. Sharpen and Duplicate your base. Now set the first copy ("Layer 1 copy" or "Background copy") to Screen at 30% opacity. If your picture is already bright, you can lower the opacity, if it's too dark, leave it at 100%. This basically brightens up your picture.
3. Go to Layers >> Adjustment Layers >> Hue/Saturation. The Hues/Saturation window will pop up. Follow my settings:
This adds some color to the dullness of this icon.
4.Go to Layers >> Adjustment Layers >> Selective Coloring. The Selective Coloring window will pop up. Follow my settings:
Added some red and orange to the warm up the picture.
5. Go to Layers >> Adjustment Layers >> Curves. The Curves window will pop up.To make a point, press anywhere in the grid, and put the numbers in the little white boxes that appear in the bottom of the grid. Follow my settings:
This added some green to it. It will look like this now:
6. Finally, go to Layers >> Adjustment Layers >> Selective Coloring for the second time. The Selective Coloring window will pop up.Follow my settings:
We've darkened the reds and greens by adding that last Selective Coloring layer.
Your Final Icon:
Other Results using different pictures:
More Sweet Tutorials?
Showing latest 5 of 5 comments
this is such an awesome tut!
this is how mine came out of the beautiful Demi Lovato :)
http://i211.photo bucket.com/albums/bb312/Lauren io/normal_1838.jpg
ht tp://i211.photobucket.com/albu ms/bb312/Laurenio/demiiconblue red.jpg
can i use that tom felton icon for the boards? haha
The results usually depend on the picture you're using. If your picture is dark, then it'll turn pink.
Somethng went wrong for me and it ended up pink :|