Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parents.
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Girls' Locker
angelic_girlie3000
Parents. Are they too strict? Do they forbid you to get a cell phone, date till you're 16, or put on makeup? Do they let you hang out with friends...or do they come with you? When you're home alone, do they call every ten minutes to find out if you're okay?
Chii
not really, my parents are being more lenient now...which is good happy.gif they never really banned makeup, i never wear any anyway. i never asked for a cell phone, they gave me one because they could never get a hold of me.

it seems like you're about 13-14, your parents are probably trying to lay down the law now so you won't be too wild by the time you're my age...i was a huge problem when i was 15 and for a few months when i turned 16. you're parents are doing it for your own good, these are the years where you're subtly becoming who you'll be in the future...it may not seem like it but your parents are protecting you from a lot of sh*t.
salcha
yeah they're strict, but i'm kinda glad that they are. i mean, if they didn't, then i wouldn't be prepared for the real world when i grow up.
im 14, and i work for everything: my clothes, my supplies, presents during christmas, and all that.
i don't get allowance, a cell phone, fast internet, a car, parties on my birthday, and inviting people over. the money i get when i work is probably like a dollar each time.
iZnEedSuMcOkE
yea..they hardly let me go out anywherez... _dry.gif they won't even let me stay home alone
Nicolatofu
my mom is really cool.. I wouldn't trade her for anyone else.

Sure, there are things that bother me about her, but no one's perfect. She got me a cell phone at 11, let me date guys when I started to get interested in them, she lets me go out w/ friends, and fully trusts me andd my good judgement happy.gif
dani41790
my parents are waay to strict. some of the restrictions they give me are fricken crazy
somekhmergirl
my parents are soo strict!they wont let me date or nothing.they are already talking about me getting married to a nice cambodian boy and not even 13 yet!they wont let me go out or noting!it sucks!
freeflow
my parents are alright i guess
--x who0ps
i think my parents are okayish.
but when my friends hear about them, they go crazy.
they think they`re frckn` strict, i gues they are..
but im kinda used to it (;
mzkandi
my parents werent really strict but they were protective.....
SimplicityGirl
My parents are not strict at all; I get enough money each month, I can go out pretty much whenever I feel like it, providing that I return home before curfew. They let me go out with guys, the only drawback is, I have to keep my grades up. My parents are pretty cool and I wouldn't trade them for anything else; my friends think that I'm very lucky to have my parents as my parents.
lolita kitty
my mom? nah. she says she would buy me a computer for my next birthday, she got me a cell phone, she lets me go out to the movies, she spoils me rolleyes.gif

my dad? no. my dad dosent trust me too much. he wont let me do anything, even get on the computer. this is why im on and off createlog at random times because im at my dads house then moms.

thats why ><
angel-roh
no they are not and im so glad that they are not. whew... but my parents are scary when they get mad at you >.<;;;
O x LiseE x O
I don't ask my parents to go anywhere, I kinda tell them unless I am mad, or in trouble. I go out at 11AM and come home at 11PM [saturdays] and I don't call them at all throughout those 12 hours, nor do I tell them where I will be going after my first destination. Uh... I've only been grounded twice in my life, [doesn't include when I can't go out for ONE NiiGHT]... You tell me, are my parents strict? cool.gif
smthngcrprategrl34
my parents are alright. they can get kinda bad and not realize it but nothing horrible
ThePrincessofTKD
right now i can`t even go to the movies with my friends without parental supervision.

they said until i`m 17, i can do whatever the heck i want. _dry.gif
Weird addiction
not at all, they dont care thats why im a sex addict
love-issosweet
my parents are really strict
- they won't let me have a cell phone until i have a job
- they won't let me date until i graduate from college/university
- i can't go anywhere with friends unless they go with me
swe3ttemptasian
already topics similar to this, and my parents are strict at times... and sometimes are really easy on me
bravodancer04
Hmm not really, I used to think they were but now not so much, I`m allowed to do pretty much w.e I want, they just needa kno where I am! thumbsup.gif
Marlons
Eh, my parents are a little more lenient now, they let me do stuff, now I need to find some friends to do stuff with.
Sprague
When it comes to my mom, she's pretty hella lenient. There are some things she'll let me do, and some things she won't let me do, but most of the time she's okay with it as long as I follow a short list of rules, yada yada. She even lets my boyfriend sleep over at my house. Pretty damn lenient. :D
xhidethedetails
Compared to some of my friends parents there not overly strict. But they still don't let me go over to guys houses, get my permit until I have a job, go to clubs to see a concert, and hang out in town unless one of my female friends is with.
illriginal
The question I have is...

Would you much rather learn your lessons through experiencing and facing repercussions, the hard way.

Or

Learn your lessons by listening to your parents/elders who've already experienced and faced the repercussions and are only tryin to prevent you from going through the same scenario they went through?
Luna5
Growing up when I was grounded it was like for a month not like a week for most kids I knew growing up.
aaayotiffany
my parents aren't as strict as they used to be.

- i can stay out now until like 2 in the morning, 1 if i drive.
- as long as they know where i am and what i'm doing and of course, with their permission, i can pretty much go wherever and do whatever.
- i can go out with my guy friends whenever, without them assuming we're dating.
- before i couldn't go out every weekend, now i can and do. :]
- i still can't date until after high school. lolol.

but i got a cellphone at 13 because they needed to reach me. my parents gave me much more freedom when i got older.

i actually wish my parents let me experience things for myself because otherwise i'll never know what the consequences are.
Archana
my parents are teh quintessence of strict. i got a cellphone easy, when i didnt even ask, but that's because they needed to reach me and they never could. i'm hardly EVER allowed to go out. i'm not allowed to go out to eat with friends, generally, and i CANT spend a long time at a friends house, because my parents think i go "out too much" and that's "wasting my time." i can't sleepover anyone's house, and if they saw me anywhere near a boy [or heard that i had a boyfriend] they'd ship back to the homeland. i can't date, ever.

everrrr.

EVAAAAAA
Flaunted
Even though it's wrong to stereotype, My situation is : Female, Only child and Asian. Anyways,

Now that I'm in college my parents are giving mre more freedom but I still have a curfew of 11pm =_=; I live at home and yeah :/
But basically their rule is if i Go out during the weekdays I have to be home for the weekends or vise versa. Reason why is because i'm basically at my boyfriends house till night time when i come back from school.

I don't get to "party" much such as my bff who has no curfew and satys out til dawn.

My dad still gets mad at me, cause I treat my house like a hotel at times and it's not a family enviroment or whatever.

I'm pretty much a boring kid, other then that but their just strict sometimes but I can deal. As long as I can still express my opinions but that usually blows up to be a huge fight hahaha.

The question I have is...
Would you much rather learn your lessons through experiencing and facing repercussions, the hard way.
Or
Learn your lessons by listening to your parents/elders who've already experienced and faced the repercussions and are only tryin to prevent you from going through the same scenario they went through?

Of course having the parents share their experiences are important but it's also important to have the kids to learn it on their own. I think kid's should just have been suggested and reminded of what their going to do and let them sort out what to do and what not.
illriginal
QUOTE(Flaunted @ Apr 5 2008, 02:11 PM) *
Of course having the parents share their experiences are important but it's also important to have the kids to learn it on their own. I think kid's should just have been suggested and reminded of what their going to do and let them sort out what to do and what not.

I see... I had a few friends I grew up with... nearly 14 years of friendship (which is over) but sadly they started to smoke marijuana at 13 years old, so by the time I got into smoking it, they were 15 years old and already into doin coke, xtc, and cid. Over the years I lost my respect for them. And what I don't understand is... how come their parents don't notice these changes. I noticed them and I only knew them for so many years.

Well we're off topic, I'm outs happy.gif

Kay-
My parents are.. not that strict, they're pretty good
Cerfew is 9pm on weekdays and on weekends it's 12:30-ish which is pretty good for my age and my gradese absolutley suck.
Teesa
my parents aren't the extreme traditional indian parents, but they were really strict with me all through elementary and middle school (like always wanting to know silly little details about where/who i was hanging out with). when i was a junior in high school, they kind of loosened their grip and i was allowed to go out more and be out later at night.
their only thing is that i must call and check up on them and answer their phone calls when they do call. so it's really nice that i'm in college now and don't have to inform them about my whereabouts all the time :)
hi-res
My parents were protective, well, my mom was at least. I suppose some could says that equates into strictness, but I knew she was looking out for me within good reason, so it didn't bother me too much.
MissCuppyCake
my mom is pretty cool...
she doesnt really say no if i tell her where im gonna be...
she just makes sure im not lying and that im not doing anything im not supposed to...
plus when she is strict i know in the end its for my own benefit...
i love her sooo much.!.
JokeInsideJoke
my mom rocks, my dad still think of me as a kid... shrug.gif so they pretty much even out...
ANG33ZY
Nah I don't think they're too strict. I'm a good kid though so they don't have anything to worry about.
Sandraaa
My dad doesn't give a shit but my mom is protective. stubborn.gif
espressive
only when they know i have a boyfriend rolleyes.gif

my mom gets really anal and drills me on where i am & what time i'm getting home & calls me nonstop until i get home if i'm late by a minute or two. usually my mom doesn't care that much (like when i'm with my girls). and my dad goes along with whatever my mom says lol.
paolabear20
The only way in which my parents are strict is the fact that they usually don't let me stay out late. Once it gets to 11 p.m. They start calling my phone like crazy. But other than that, they're pretty chill.
courtneybabes
my parents aren't strict at all, but they look out for me alot & are really over-protective but they let me have my space.
xhugerific
^ hahah same heree! BUT, my parents are really really strict. they won't let me go out w/ friends unless they've met their parents -.-" they don't let me have a myspacee. NOTHINGG. they just want me to focus on my studies. blahh. it sucks xD but still, they look out for mee, and i feel safe around them. so i guess its good if you have parents that are strict.
blueragedesigns
My parents are pretty laxxed back (they're split up, have been since I was WAY little)
My mum gave me a resonable hour to stay out, although only cuz she knew the people I was hanging with. My mum was also the "Cool" parent. She understood us and gave us advice and let my mates stay over when they where having trouble with their own parents. My dad was little strict on getting me a cell phone. But only cuz he's a hippy. But he eventually got one. They both let me have A glass of wine or beer or something from like 14. Only cuz they wanted me to know what it's like etc, not make me feel left out. :L
My dad lets me go to partys (Although I don't ever go to any cuz I don't know anyone around) but that's only if I know the bus/train routes. Or have money for a taxi.
My mum let me "date" as such. Even let him stay over and in my bed (he was young and little and innocent, he really was.. :( )
And ye. She even let's me meet people online. Like my current bf. But we knew eachother for a few years before we meet, and she did the whole call the parents set rules etc. Which is only fair.
As for makeup / clothes etc. My mum didn't let me wear make up for awhile. She bought my first foundation when I turned 15. She didn't like me wearing mini skirts / slutty clothes etc, but that's fine with me because i A) don't suit them B) don't really wanna look like a slut :L .

My parents own. :D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.