Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sports affect grades?
Forums > Community Center > Interests > Sports
salcha
my mom thinks that playing sports take up too much time, and that I shouldn't play that much. She also thinks that they'll affect my grades, cuz sometimes we have to leave classes early for games and stuff..
HOWEVER, when i was on the tennis team back in fall, my grades were almost perfect. i was happy, i was fit, and i had good grades.
I made the badmintton team this spring, and my mom made me quit immediately thinking that my grades would drop. Instead, without sports, my grades went waaaaay down.

so do you think sports affect your grades in a good/bad way?
teeners4
it depends on the person. like i go to a jock school. and a lot of people try really hard in school ESPECIALLY if they're on a school team. cause they got to keep their grades to play right? the people who do bad in school play sports too, but arent in any school teams.

and yea i have a friend (she's a girl) she plays football, hockey + basketball. she was on the national team. and won at the nationals i think. i'm talking about canada here.

she plays hockey a LOT. like her spring break is PACKED with stuff. she wakes up at 6 every morning for practice. then she plays a game a 10ish in the morning. then at like 1 she referees a game. and at 4/5ish she goes play another game. and etc etc. she deals with that EVERYDAY.

and she's a straight A student
salcha
^ that is CRAZY.
i dont think i would be able to pull that off, heh.
but yeah, i think every school would want you to maintain at least 2.0 to play sports.
which is really easy actually. twoof the best people from the football team got kicked off because they were failing like all their classes.
Pulchritude
well for me it doesnt becuase when i am really deticated to that certain sport i know i will have to get grades to stay on the team so it motivates me to try and try till i doo my best.. but for some people it takes too much time blah blah blah.. but as long if you are motivated and oragnized u can do good on the sport team and get good grades
avalon*
It definitely depends on the person, and their time management skills. Some people can excel at both sports and school, while others can't.
Veloso
hmmm....grades and sport....it depend on the person....im in sport and i can get mai grade out of hand till i get mai progress report and if i see it bad ill work on it....and when i get report card and see good grades ill end up mai brain sayin "SLACK OFF ON THE GRADES TIME FOR SPORTS" huh.gif
yukichan
ya sports affected my grade...in a good way..when i was playing sports i got all A's..when i wasnt i got 1 B...so ya it affected me in a good way...
laur3nw
I think sports affect grades in a good and bad way. Good, because if you're really dedicated to the sport, you'll try to keep your grades up so you can stay on the team. Bad, because sports take up a lot of time and energy so you don't really have much time to concentrate on school work.
iheartsimba
If anything it makes grades better...as long as your not obverloaded, excersize, be healthy..and I think it makes you focus on things more..as long as its not too time consuming, I don't see how it would hurt your grades
Teesa
hm. well, I haven't really experienced it, but when my brother played basketball he practially breathed it, so it affected his grades in a very bad way.
Ballpointpencil
I think it depends on the person. Some people use sports as a motivation to keep their grades up, some people get distracted too much from their academics because of sports.
Wolverine0723
It depedns on how often you do it, how long it is, and how SERIOUS you are about it, in my opinion.
stranger_danger
Honestly, when I was happy, my greats were perfect. My parents made me quit for a season, and all of a sudden my GPA dropped. Also, it really depends on your concentration and dedication to the sport. If you concentrate on it too much, you'll see a declination in your grades. However, if you're dedicated to a school sport, it also means that you're dedicated to academics. One more thing, if your mom is Asian, anything below a 3.83 is failing. Trust me, Asian parents are afraid of 3.83 and anything lower than that.
salcha
^ haha, yeah. i have a 3.7 and my dad's like, "wth? why don't you have a 4.0?"
crazy. i'm taking the highest level classes freshman year has to offer already. i miss playing sports. :(
ItzOnlySydney
when i played a sport my 6th grade yera it kinda affetced it but not much
demolished
It depends, if you cannot handle school, you'll DROP.
ryfitaDF
yea. if you do good on the football team, coach will take care of your grades for you.
heyyfrankie
i think that if a person/kid really wants to play a sport, they will work really hard to keep their grades so that they could play. so yes, i think that sports effect grades in a good way.
Nicolatofu
As long as you don't devote all of your time towards sports and still remain to focus on your studies as well, i don't see why it is a problem. What I also don't get is why your mom made you quit when you had good grades to begin with...
iliang86
i think for me...doing sports improves my grades. i try to finish my work fast so that i have time to do the sport. it may seem kinda weird...but for me, having less time to do hw will make me do it faster. if i dont do sports, i'll have too much time and just procrastinate.
largosama
Since I have less time, I procrastinate less... Thus itleads to better overall work ethic. On days when practice is cancelled, I don't get around to my HW until midnight because of putting it off..
baller30
like everyone else has said it depends on the person. I play on a basketball team at school with 17 other girls, and we all handle it differnetly. I have a 3.83 and some of them have a 2.3 it reall has nothing to do with sports. it mostly has to do with the person.
winterzflamez88
My parents were the same. They made me quit winter track in order to concentrate more in school. I think that's the worst. Because having to quit the team is so disappointing to everyone around u and most of all urself. I got really upset and couldn't think about school at all, so my grades dropped.

I think that if ur on a team and hav good grades, stay on it! That wuld obviously mean that u can handle it. But if u had good grades and they dropped dramatically since u started sports, that's a diffrnt story. As long as sum1 is focused and has school and sports balanced, they can do both. If they can't do both, stick with school. U can't play sports w/ bad grades!

Whoa, that was a long reply.
paul murphy
No, now shut up
fameONE
Yes. If you play varsity football and your team is doing exceptionally well, your grades won't drop below passing if you exhibit some sort of effort. If you're a star, you wouldnt have to try at all. As soon as the season's over, you're fcuked.

I go to school in Texas where the only crowd worse at the high school football games is the crowd at church on Esater Sunday.
Nicole0402
Actually. at my school, if you don't have a b average, you can't play. so I play alot of sports at school, and I think that it helps my grades. because if i don't maintain atleast a b average, then I can't play..and that would be bad.... ermm.gif
_sarcastic_
it doesn't affect my grades, just that my parents aren't happy that i play too much
ECD & C0
Sports make me to do better in school because you cant have below a 3.0 if you want to play!!
imagood
Studys have proven that playing sports dont affect your grades no matter who you are. If your not doing as well not playing sports as you are playing sports its only your fault its no the fact that your playing sports or not that will affect it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.