Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If You Really Knew Me
Forums > Community Center > Movies & TV
creole
I like this MTV show. I think it's showing a possible view of how High School could change. Of course maybe some people will just pretend like they care and then forget about Challenge Day, but this is really serious.

Episode 1 can be watched here.
Blyat
We actually had a challenge day at my school. But I skipped them all > >;;

But honestly I don't get why kids are fine with basically have millions of people watch as they break down and talk about personal feelings and events.
creole
I want one so bad at my school. I'm like crying right now just watching the episode. :'(
Blyat
It's really uncomfortable, that's why I skipped it.
Like I know a lot of people have it worse than I do...I don't wanna hear it really, It's not my position to do so, plus I don't wanna tell random people my problems just so they like me basically for the wrong reason. imo

But one thing I do like is that every can get along, but sadly it either doesn't work for everyone or last long
none345678
I watched the first 30 seconds of the intro. Burn down the school. Problem solved. idk, I might watch it later, but shows like this never phase me because I really can't relate to the whole emo,prep, jock thing. But since they count Mexicans as a clique they might just be f*cked enough for me to watch.

Can someone explain "challenge day" to me though.
Blyat
QUOTE(spambot @ Jul 25 2010, 04:30 PM) *
I watched the first 30 seconds of the intro. Burn down the school. Problem solved. idk, I might watch it later, but shows like this never phase me because I really can't relate to the whole emo,prep, jock thing. But since they count Mexicans as a clique they might just be f*cked enough for me to watch.

Can someone explain "challenge day" to me though.

Challenge day is when teens get together in a group that no one barely knows eachother, and talk about personal feelings, events, and all cry together
it helps to "bring confidence" and make everyone "closer"

Like ie they talk about maybe parents abusing them, someone who cuts , being gay, not being accepted blah blah and then after everyone is all like *pat pat* 'it'll get better'
sixfive
Ohh sounds like Abbey's kinda thing.
brooklyneast05
i don't get this kinda thing either. i guess i feel like abbey and steph in that a) i didn't really experience this to an extent that i would want this. yeah i was "misunderstood", as most teenagers feel they are, but not that much that i needed to change people's opinion of me. b) i don't really care to hear other kids cry about their problems. i duno. i wasn't mean to people much so i don't think i need to have my eyes opened to their hardships.

in general i think teens are teens, and while it might be productive to remind them that people are people regardless of what cliques they are in...i don't believe anyone truly abandons that stuff until later in life. if they even do at all.

i think most people grow out of the tendency to hate on other people who are different, or at least express it openly. i still relate to who i relate to though. if some emo punk girl is getting beat up at home i feel bad for her, but it doesn't change the fact we probably have little in common and won't be bff ever.

this seems like more of a staged effort to prevent/stop bullying than anything else.
none345678
^those are my feelings exactly.

QUOTE(serotonin @ Jul 25 2010, 04:42 PM) *
Ohh sounds like Abbey's kinda thing.

I hope you get fat.
creole
well i can safely say that it's somewhat better than the other crap on MTV
none345678
waat. I thought Nerd With a Big Cock Show was gud and "Ugly" Emo Girl Takes on Sluts Show was sweet. Yeah, MTV sucks a good majority of the time. There are maybe 2-3 shows that I'll watch though.
heyo-captain-jack
these kids are whiny f*cks
Blyat
QUOTE(spambot @ Jul 25 2010, 06:34 PM) *
waat. I thought Nerd With a Big Cock Show was gud and "Ugly" Emo Girl Takes on Sluts Show was sweet. Yeah, MTV sucks a good majority of the time. There are maybe 2-3 shows that I'll watch though.

yeahh

And yeah continuing with JC, It's like I honestly don't think those kids "opening up" will ever make a difference because they are just telling their problem and not making a change to it. Like i'm not mean to people either, but I don't want a pity party over me and/or feel obligated to listen to someone's problem that doesn't concern me. Not to be rude about it
none345678
There are many reason why it wouldn't work at my school. You are either ruthless enough to laugh at anything or craving attention so much that you'll lie (and then thrive in all the rumors/drama/shit that comes after) It would just be a bloody mess. The only kids who actually may have shit going on that could be talked about are the quiet kids who don't want to talk about it.
creole
i think it would be beneficial for my school. my school is almost exactly the same as the one from the first episode, but it's more white/black/asian dominance of my school's student population. same segregation and similar places where ppl "hang out". my school has a high policy with classiness, but sadly it lacks for the majority of my school.

idk, i'm just glad this tv show is one of the shows that are trying to show us something and still relatable. something that's actually happening instead of popular kids and their social life [ laguna beach / any other teener bopper targeted shows for mtv and vh1 ]. i'm sure there will be more issues with other kids in other episodes besides the common thing we "teens" go through. i cried at the parts of that girl barbara telling her dad about how much she does appreciate what he does, but he still doesn't care. he even decides to compare her to his other "perfect" daughter who's in varsity cheerleading and get good grades. she tried her best, and it might work out for her in the end, but i kinda look at it like some people actually want this to happen and effect them. whoever is just doing this for the camera / something bogus is their loss.
Tomates
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Jul 25 2010, 05:48 PM) *
i don't get this kinda thing either. i guess i feel like abbey and steph in that a) i didn't really experience this to an extent that i would want this. yeah i was "misunderstood", as most teenagers feel they are, but not that much that i needed to change people's opinion of me. b) i don't really care to hear other kids cry about their problems. i duno. i wasn't mean to people much so i don't think i need to have my eyes opened to their hardships.

in general i think teens are teens, and while it might be productive to remind them that people are people regardless of what cliques they are in...i don't believe anyone truly abandons that stuff until later in life. if they even do at all.
i think most people grow out of the tendency to hate on other people who are different, or at least express it openly. i still relate to who i relate to though. if some emo punk girl is getting beat up at home i feel bad for her, but it doesn't change the fact we probably have little in common and won't be bff ever.
this seems like more of a staged effort to prevent/stop bullying than anything else.

With Steph, I felt really uncomfortable too. I also said it once and this kid freaked out at me by saying how "I should attend because you learn the truth about people and what they felt" and to me I just thought gosh, I really don't want people to know some of the personal things I've been trough. I just felt like I would be judged or "gosh you think that's bad? Wait until you hear about MY life". I mean I'm sure it was a good experience but it's different for everybody. I mean I do think that it helped people understand one another more but like I said, It's different for everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.