Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HD VS SD
Forums > Community Center > Movies & TV
superstitious
I never thought that I would become a quality whore but lately, I can hardly stand to watch anything in standard definiation. Beyond that, I read reviews for just about everything I'm thinking of upgrading (most recently, Sin City which is an amazing blu-ray upgrade).

It's actually becoming a problem because we only two blu-ray players - The PS3 downstairs and the blu-ray player in my room. What that means in the long haul is that my son and my mother can't watch anything new that I'm purchasing (since they only have DVD players).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same thing - becoming nearly completely adverse to watching standard def.
heyo-captain-jack
tbh I can't see the difference
none345678
I have never watched anything in HD, or if I did couldn't tell the difference.
Gigi
Yeah I definitely can't stand SD! I hardly watch shows at their scheduled time anymore, as I don't have HD...I just download the HD episodes and watch on my PS3.
creole
QUOTE(ButtsexV2 @ May 28 2010, 06:05 PM) *
tbh I can't see the difference

QUOTE(spambot @ May 28 2010, 06:20 PM) *
I have never watched anything in HD, or if I did couldn't tell the difference.

click to enlarge

top is bluray, bottom is standard dvd. notice the natural colors and how the pixels aren't thinned or stretched and that the image is slightly sharper.
mipadi
I was really amazed by the difference. Last year, my roommate had an HD TV so we had HD cable. I never thought I'd say this, but even watching something like football or hockey is way better in HD. I was impressed.

I've gotten pretty pampered by screens lately. I have a MacBook Pro with a really nice glossy LED display, and the colors are so rich and images are so sharp that I even get annoyed using a computer with a normal LCD screen. Definitely can't wait for LED TVs to become more mainstream and cheaper.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Cum @ May 29 2010, 05:26 PM) *

top is bluray, bottom is standard dvd. notice the natural colors and how the pixels aren't thinned or stretched and that the image is slightly sharper.

HD has nothing to do with stretched pixels or image sharpness, it's about resolution. You simply cannot tell the difference at smaller sizes.

Obviously, hd is going to look better at 40", but nobody with more sense than money watches TV at that size.
creole
QUOTE(ButtsexV2 @ May 29 2010, 09:56 PM) *
HD has nothing to do with stretched pixels or image sharpness, it's about resolution. You simply cannot tell the difference at smaller sizes.

Obviously, hd is going to look better at 40", but nobody with more sense than money watches TV at that size.

well duh, that's just common sense if you're talking about 1080p. But 720p can still look very awesome on TV's less than 40". but why are we talking about TV sizes? . but like i said, the colors are still more natural even on smaller tv's.

regular dvd < blu ray quality
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Cum @ May 30 2010, 05:14 AM) *
but like i said, the colors are still more natural even on smaller tv's.

the problem is, that's not correct. HD has nothing to do with picture quality, it's to do with resolution and resolution only
creole
well when you talk about resolution, that's basically the quality of the picture.
The display resolution of a digital television or display device is the number of distinct pixels in each dimension that can be displayed. It can be an ambiguous term especially as the displayed resolution is controlled by all different factors in cathode ray tube (CRT) and flat panel or projection displays using fixed picture-element (pixel) arrays.

if you're talking about TV's

then you're talking about picture quality.

HD does have to do with picture quality. what else would there be?
brooklyneast05
i've never had a problem with SD. i haven't been able to tell the difference either really. maybe if i watched it all the time and then switched back.
superstitious
Maybe it's just the perception of higher quality? Regardless, my eyes love the HD. If I'm watching a blu-ray disc and switch to TV (we haven't switched to HD cable yet) there is a huge difference. Everything is fuzzier, the colors are less vibrant, the sound isn't as clear, and so on.
Joanne
We recently got an HD TV and I jizzed my pants at the beautifulness of it.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Cum @ May 30 2010, 02:20 PM) *
well when you talk about resolution, that's basically the quality of the picture.

if you're talking about TV's

then you're talking about picture quality.
HD does have to do with picture quality. what else would there be?

High resolution means you can make it bigger without it looking like a big pile of ass. It has almost nothing to do with the quality of the picture.

Blu-ray vs. DVD is a totally different argument. Since you can fit so much more data on a blu-ray disk, that leaves room for better quality graphics, better quality audio, etc. Put a 30 second clip at 1080p in a blu-ray disk and in a DVD, I can guarantee they will look and sound exactly the same.

Edit:

Hell, put a 1080p clip on a VHS and on a Blu-ray disk, it will still look exactly the same.
creole
QUOTE(ButtsexV2 @ May 30 2010, 12:58 PM) *
High resolution means you can make it bigger without it looking like a big pile of ass. It has almost nothing to do with the quality of the picture.

alright, i get the high resolution part, but just to clarify High Resolution is a part of HD and picture quality. are you saying that if i have a resolution of 1920x1080 vs. 480ix100, the quality would still be the same? like you said, more space is available, but the clarity of the image is much different. i don't know if this would count, but if you try switching the view format of a PS3 from say, 1080p to 480p, then there the screen would look more compact since there's not much space to transfer. but the first thing noticeable is the quality and jaggyness. i'm just trying to say that resolution has a thing to do with image quality, which sounds just about right if you ask me.

Blu-ray vs. DVD is a totally different argument. Since you can fit so much more data on a blu-ray disk, that leaves room for better quality graphics, better quality audio, etc. Put a 30 second clip at 1080p in a blu-ray disk and in a DVD, I can guarantee they will look and sound exactly the same.

New high-resolution soundtrack formats, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, are in blu-ray compared to regular dvd, so the sound will be much different. srsly, just use a bluray player from someone and put in a movie that has two versions. a regular dvd version and blu-ray, then tell me if you see any differences. the only thing that'll be the same for both versions is their memory usage on the cd, but of course, blu-ray will still leave more memory available. oh and if you ask me, the colors look more natural.

heyo-captain-jack
This is what I'm talking about"

Here are two images blown up to 1080p

color quality is the same, right, it's just one is jagged.
Now look at the same two images thumbnailed, which happens to be the actual resolution you'll be watching it on with most televisions.
click to enlarge

Looks no different.

Here is an example that's even more in my favor:

click to enlarge

Oh, and can you tell which is which?

(if you get it don't let it go to your head, you've got a 50% chance)
creole
obviously, you don't see the color difference. dvd looks much more saturated, while bluray is more natural, again. and like i said you should watch it for yourself, besides just examining one still image. oh and pics won't help you favor in your sound theory being the same.

and i'm gonna take a wild guess and go with the tv on the right is bluray, just sayin cuz i see the bluray logo on the player.
heyo-captain-jack
The color difference has nothing to do with the medium

You don't see a color difference in the first one, the second you only see a color difference because the bluray version is remastered, and the third you only see a color difference because the tv on the left has it's color settings f*cked up because the display is trying to show the merits of blu-ray
creole
for the first one, i meant as in shadows, sorry. the shadows for the first one is slightly better. for the second image, the bluray dvd is remastered, so that's definitely a point for me for having an original movie completely edited and then being shown on a bluray cd is awesome, cause bluray is just cool like that. and for the third image, excuses. are you saying that the left tv is trying to compete or level the playing field to even the odds with bluray quality? so that means the regular dvd version needs to be improved with the tv settings just to look similar to the bluray version?

and
oh and pics won't help you favor in your sound theory being the same.
mipadi
I am now dumber for having read this thread.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Cum @ May 30 2010, 11:21 PM) *
for the first one, i meant as in shadows, sorry. the shadows for the first one is slightly better.

what shadows are you even looking at?

for the second image, the bluray dvd is remastered, so that's definitely a point for me for having an original movie completely edited and then being shown on a bluray cd is awesome, cause bluray is just cool like that.

no, it's a point for me because the only difference is that they f*cked with the saturation

and for the third image, excuses. are you saying that the left tv is trying to compete or level the playing field to even the odds with bluray quality? so that means the regular dvd version needs to be improved with the tv settings just to look similar to the bluray version?
and

I'm saying they f*cked with the color settings on the left tv so it turns out blue and less natural looking, they f*cked it up, not improved it

heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(mipadi @ May 31 2010, 12:51 AM) *
I am now dumber for having read this thread.

this is the internet, that happens sometimes
six
buttsex, cum, buttsex, cum
gojira
lmao
datass
QUOTE(six @ May 31 2010, 02:22 PM) *
buttsex, cum, buttsex, cum

hahaha
gojira
click to enlarge

wtffff nothing else is offered in HD except one channel
tokyo-rose
I'd like to watch TV shows in HD, but I don't have the time or patience to download HD episodes, so I just stream HQ versions online. After all, you can't miss what you never had, and I don't care enough about video/image quality to feel like I'm missing out on HD. The only videos I'm patient enough to load in HD are YouTube clips, but pretty much everyone does that.
LittleMissSunshine
i don't have any hd tvs in my house. it's all standard, my parents do not want to get any hd tvs till we move to texas -___-.
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(LittleMissSunshine @ Jun 3 2010, 04:41 PM) *
i don't have any hd tvs in my house. it's all standard, my parents do not want to get any hd tvs till we move to texas -___-.

Probably because they want to buy a huge one for your new house. After all, everything's bigger in Texas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.