Full Version: favorite typeface
Forums > Resource Center > Designers' Café
brooklyneast05
what's your favorite typeface
heyo-captain-jack
What's yours?

also it's a close tie between Akzidenz-Grotesk and Johnston Sans
brooklyneast05
helvetica neue. akzidenz-grotesk is ok, but helvetica pretty much fixed everything i dislike about akzidenz grotesk. univers maybe sometimes. i like me some baskerville too with a little garamond on the side. i also really like modern typefaces like bodini or didot but i don't think they are that versatile.
heyo-captain-jack
imo the lower-case characters in Helvetica are too tall. that and I don't like the R in Helvetica. Baskerville is probably my favorite serif font, but I've never been a big fan of Garamond. Something about the a ruins it for me. I've been able to work Didot into a few designs, but never bodini.

also this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...aTeX_Output.svg

LaTeX is dabest
mipadi
Mine tastes mostly fall in line with JC's. I like Helvetica Neue for sans-serif typefaces (although I like to adjust the kerning to make the letters tighter), or Baskerville for serif fonts -- specifically, the Baskerville 13pt. font for body text.
Mickey
Gotham and Baskerville.
shakeene
mmm, arial narrow fer sure
datass
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Mar 14 2010, 02:50 PM) *
helvetica neue. akzidenz-grotesk is ok, but helvetica pretty much fixed everything i dislike about akzidenz grotesk. univers maybe sometimes. i like me some baskerville too with a little garamond on the side. i also really like modern typefaces like bodini or didot but i don't think they are that versatile.

definite. i really like using that font. serif fonts i like garamond and times new roman.

i know this isnt about what tyepfaces suck. but comic sans is a f*cking eye rape. i die a little every time i see it.
heyo-captain-jack
12 pt. Comic Sans is an acceptable font when printed, but it's terrible otherwise.
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(itanium @ Apr 15 2010, 08:41 PM) *
12 pt. Comic Sans is an acceptable font when printed, but it's terrible otherwise.

Comic Sans MS is never acceptable. I couldn't believe that my best friend's teachers let her use that font for papers in high school.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Cristy @ Apr 15 2010, 08:09 PM) *
Comic Sans MS is never acceptable. I couldn't believe that my best friend's teachers let her use that font for papers in high school.

Acceptable as in doesn't make me want to throw up, not acceptable as in good
moorepocket
didot and johann sparkling itc
emberfly
My computer doesn't have Helvetica... Dafont.com doesn't have it either.
datass
imo, comic sans is never acceptable.

i dont have helvetica on my system either ):
mipadi
QUOTE(emberfly @ Apr 20 2010, 06:52 PM) *
My computer doesn't have Helvetica... Dafont.com doesn't have it either.

That's because it's not free, and Microsoft is to cheap to buy a license for it, so they include Helvetica's bastard child Arial instead.
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(mipadi @ Apr 21 2010, 11:17 AM) *
That's because it's not free, and Microsoft is to cheap to buy a license for it, so they include Helvetica's bastard child Arial instead.

Really? I have Helvetica on my laptop.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Cristy @ Apr 21 2010, 11:19 AM) *
Really? I have Helvetica on my laptop.

iirc photoshop comes with helvetica
datass
http://www.ironicsans.com/helvarialquiz/

i got 17/20. kind of hard for me to tell uppercases apart.
brooklyneast05
this has been growing on me lately

fainaru
Rockwell is my easy go-to-font that makes things look trendy and nice.

I like using Futura, Georgia, Arial, Arial rounded, Violation, Script, Jane Austen, Silkscreen, Lucida Sans Unicode, many more!
sixfive
i like helvetica
emberfly
QUOTE(doughnut @ Apr 22 2010, 04:19 AM) *

They look excatly the same... except one is thinner (which I like better).. and that one .. according to that link.. is Arial.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(doughnut @ Apr 22 2010, 04:19 AM) *

19/20, BASF tripped me up.
Butterface89
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Mar 13 2010, 08:40 PM) *
what's your favorite typeface

I like Tahoma out of all the boring computer-built-in fonts. I like wide,short, thin letters.
gelionie
I use Trebuchet MS for sans-serif typing, and I go with Palatino Linotype for school assignments that require a serif font.

I'm more acceptable of Arial than I used to, but I still won't pick it if I had a choice of other fonts.
Butterface89
QUOTE(gelionie @ Sep 25 2010, 03:43 PM) *
I use Trebuchet MS for sans-serif typing, and I go with Palatino Linotype for school assignments that require a serif font.

I'm more acceptable of Arial than I used to, but I still won't pick it if I had a choice of other fonts.

TREBUCHET is a good font. I like that one, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.