Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A decent graphics card?
Forums > Community Center > Technology
synapse
What's the price on a descent graphic's card, and what what are the decent models?

I recently had a 4850.. I had to sell it. :/
dispn0ygonekrazy
whyd you sell it? I currently have an nvidia gtx 275 been working pleasures for me :D I know ATI has the new 5000 series, does your mobo support crossfire or sli? I'm going to upgrade maybe in another month or so to a 295 or ati 5870. but for decent and still good you can find a nice 9800 gtx for less than a hundred.
synapse
QUOTE(dispn0ygonekrazy @ Jan 23 2010, 12:22 AM) *
whyd you sell it? I currently have an nvidia gtx 275 been working pleasures for me :D I know ATI has the new 5000 series, does your mobo support crossfire or sli? I'm going to upgrade maybe in another month or so to a 295 or ati 5870. but for decent and still good you can find a nice 9800 gtx for less than a hundred.

It was an old version, only had a single dvi, single hdmi, and single s-video. So, I sold it for some money on the side, and cause I wanted to upgrade. Now, that one for my system was actually really big, I'm afraid that one that is the width of two slots won't fit.. :/ Not sure if my motherboard supports it. I have an iris8.
Maccabee
This should fulfill all your needs. /g/ calls it the poor mans card, but it could play crysis without bottlnecking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150450
dispn0ygonekrazy
yeah these cards are huge haha how big is your case? I see your mobo supports PCIe x16 cards which is good but not the 2.0 version, Most cards are backwards compatible for pcie x16 1 be sure to check that out. How much money are you willing to shell out? If you're going for an upgraded video card check and see if your psu has enough power to support it. plus is the new vid card for gaming?
synapse
QUOTE(dispn0ygonekrazy @ Jan 23 2010, 12:54 AM) *
yeah these cards are huge haha how big is your case? I see your mobo supports PCIe x16 cards which is good but not the 2.0 version, Most cards are backwards compatible for pcie x16 1 be sure to check that out. How much money are you willing to shell out? If you're going for an upgraded video card check and see if your psu has enough power to support it. plus is the new vid card for gaming?

Yeah, not sure on the size of my case, it's quite small, the motherboard fits with a hard drive next to it, that's about it.. I bought a new psu before the last card, not sure what I have, I think it's 700w.. I wasn't aware of the usb version of the card the last time.. :/ I'm wanting to keep it below 175, but not afraid to go up to 200. overall, visuals, not just for gaming.

QUOTE(Maccabee @ Jan 23 2010, 12:54 AM) *
This should fulfill all your needs. /g/ calls it the poor mans card, but it could play crysis without bottlnecking.

never heard of the brand, i'll look for more reviews.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Maccabee @ Jan 22 2010, 11:54 PM) *

that would be a downgrade from his old card.

all cards are backwards compatible

fixd

before you go and buy anything, post the specifications of your PSU. You may be able to buy a 5750 or a 5770 instead of a crap card. If your PSU is a POS, I'd recommend a 5670. If you have any PCI-e connectors at all, I'll reccomend a 5770 (which btw overclocks like a beast)

Edit: for 175, get whatever you want in the 5xxx series. 4890 if you're using XP, though, since there is no dx11 support at all for XP, not even through patches.
Uronacid
QUOTE(itanium @ Jan 23 2010, 01:11 AM) *
that would be a downgrade from his old card.
fixd
before you go and buy anything, post the specifications of your PSU. You may be able to buy a 5750 or a 5770 instead of a crap card. If your PSU is a POS, I'd recommend a 5670. If you have any PCI-e connectors at all, I'll reccomend a 5770 (which btw overclocks like a beast)

Edit: for 175, get whatever you want in the 5xxx series. 4890 if you're using XP, though, since there is no dx11 support at all for XP, not even through patches.

I second this.

If you have Vista or 7 purchase a 5670 or better yet 5770. I personally like the 5770 and have a feeling it will be my next card as it is a step up from the 4850 which I currently own and am extremely satisfied with.

If you have windows XP then opt for the 4890, but make sure you have a PSU that supports the wattage consumed by the 4890.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(tcunningham @ Jan 23 2010, 12:11 AM) *
never heard of the brand, i'll look for more reviews.

XFX makes nice cards. I've gotten a few of their cards. They last a long time, and have a double lifetime warranty, which is great if you ever want to sell it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.