Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fermi tech specs/whitepapers released
Forums > Community Center > Technology
heyo-captain-jack
click to enlarge

HardOCP recently had the opportunity to sit down with NVIDIA face-to-face and discuss its next generation GPU, codenamed "GF100" which is based on the "Fermi" architecture you have likely heard so much about for the last few months. Currently NVIDIA is not sharing GF100 based video card specifics. This is NOT a product launch! This is a look into the GF100 GPU’s inner workings and how that relates to gaming. The "GF" in "GF100" stands for a "Graphics" solution based on the "Fermi" architecture. The "100" denotes that it is the high-end part of the current GPU family.

The GF100 is NVIDIA’s next big investment, and it is yet to be seen if it will pay off for them. The GF100 is more than just a GPU for gaming; we all know that based on the recent information that has been given. However, don’t let this GP-GPU nonsense fool you, NVIDIA made it clear to us...finally…the GF100 is built for gaming.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/17/...facts_opinions/

There's too much text/content to post all in this thread, so I'll just go over some highlights:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

In short:
    About 2x the performance of GT200b
    Significantly increased AA quality
    More efficient at DX11 than ATI 5xxx
I hear it's going to be twice as powerful as the GTX200 series, but the 5970 is about 60% more powerful than a GTX 295. How will the new 395 (or whatever they end up naming the new high end card) compare to the 5970?

Of course, you shouldn't take these charts seriously until a third party does the benchmarks, but this at least gives you some idea of the power of these cards.
Maccabee
For me this just means cheaper prices for lower end cards. Yay!
Uronacid
I'm really not that impressed with these cards. Like you said, their benchmarks are for cards that aren't even out yet, and 3rd party testing hasn't even been done. I'm 100% sure that they'll take the crown for the best vid card on the market after these come out, but ATI will low-ball their prices again to keep them from making money off their new cards. Also, ATI has had DX11 cards for more than 6 months now. By the time NVidia comes out with their next series ATI will have annouced something better.

NVidia's been far to lazy for far to long...
heyo-captain-jack
tbh the only thing that I'm really impressed with is the new 32x CSAA antialiasing.

Nvidia has been making terrible moves left and right, but I think this might take them out of the hole they've been put in by the major tech boards.

And one other thing, they're comparing their high end dual card, the GTX 395, with ATI's high end single card, the 5870. They should be comparing the 395 with the 5970.
creole
so would this graphic card work for a ps3 emulator? x_x
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Beenly @ Jan 18 2010, 02:52 PM) *
so would this graphic card work for a ps3 emulator? x_x

Probably not. The issue with PS3 emulators is not the power of the computers, but the power of the emulators. It's near impossible to emulate a system at full speed, especially if you're trying to emulate a 128 bit system like the PS3 on a 32 (or 64) bit system like a PC. Even older systems such as the Sony PS2 have trouble running at full speed when emulated on a modern PC.

The PS3's GPU is a relatively weak card, it is only a modified 7800GTX, which is nearly five years old.

That and I suspect it would actually be cheaper for you to buy a PS3, a modchip, and a bluray burner for your PC, so you can pirate the PS3's games.
Uronacid
QUOTE(itanium @ Jan 18 2010, 03:50 PM) *
tbh the only thing that I'm really impressed with is the new 32x CSAA antialiasing.

Nvidia has been making terrible moves left and right, but I think this might take them out of the hole they've been put in by the major tech boards.

And one other thing, they're comparing their high end dual card, the GTX 395, with ATI's high end single card, the 5870. They should be comparing the 395 with the 5970.

32x AA is ok, but honestly I don't think AA is going to be as big a deal any more. Now that tesselation is becomming a reality we'll use AA less and less.

What do you mean by hole the major tech boards put them in? NVidia is only wallowing in the mud with thier desktop video cards. They're doing great with their portable graphics chips. Tegra is a huge success, and so it the NVidia ION platform.

I agree, they shouldn't be comparing the two. It really isn't a fair comparison.
heyo-captain-jack
All the big technology boards were on the 1.7% yields, they were all on top of the fake fermi chips a few months ago, they were all on top of the woodscrews used on that end plate.

And to be honest, not many people look into portable graphics chips. Very few people who are serious about gaming will do any gaming on a laptop. And if you're not doing any gaming, Intel's integrated solutions are enough.

In fact, I used to play games on Intel integrated no problem. I never could run them on high, but they were all running low-medium at a solid 30-60 fps, depending on the game.
Uronacid
QUOTE(itanium @ Jan 18 2010, 05:49 PM) *
All the big technology boards were on the 1.7% yields, they were all on top of the fake fermi chips a few months ago, they were all on top of the woodscrews used on that end plate.

And to be honest, not many people look into portable graphics chips. Very few people who are serious about gaming will do any gaming on a laptop. And if you're not doing any gaming, Intel's integrated solutions are enough.

In fact, I used to play games on Intel integrated no problem. I never could run them on high, but they were all running low-medium at a solid 30-60 fps, depending on the game.

I'm surprised. I notice a significant increase in preformance when switching between a computer with dedicated and integrated video. NVidia's Tegra GPU in the Zune blows every other portable device out of the water, and I'm extremely impressed with NVidia's ION GPU.
synapse
All i'm interested is now, is the price.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jan 19 2010, 04:55 PM) *
I'm surprised. I notice a significant increase in preformance when switching between a computer with dedicated and integrated video. NVidia's Tegra GPU in the Zune blows every other portable device out of the water, and I'm extremely impressed with NVidia's ION GPU.

ION is impressive, but outside of media center PCs outputting 1080p video, they're unneeded.

I have no experience with Tegra, so I can't really comment on that.
Uronacid
QUOTE(itanium @ Jan 19 2010, 07:25 PM) *
ION is impressive, but outside of media center PCs outputting 1080p video, they're unneeded.

I have no experience with Tegra, so I can't really comment on that.

The ION is also used in Mac MINI's and MacBooks.

The Tegra is NVidia's platform for mobile devices.
synapse
So, maybe 250-300?
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(tcunningham @ Jan 20 2010, 02:51 PM) *
So, maybe 250-300?

We're talking Nvidia here, you're looking at 600-800 for the highest end cards.
Uronacid
QUOTE(itanium @ Jan 20 2010, 04:47 PM) *
We're talking Nvidia here, you're looking at 600-800 for the highest end cards.

Yep. xD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.