Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need some help with coding
Forums > Resource Center > Webmasters' Corner > Webmasters' Corner Resolved Topics
CandyPop
I'm having a hard time coding my layouts so that it can be aligned correctly with all computer screen widths.

For example, I code/design my layouts on a laptop and the screen is really wide. Then I go view the layout on another computer with a thinner screen width and everything is misaligned and just horrible. What can I do to fix that?
synapse
Use semantic xhtml. mellow.gif

w3schools.com
mipadi
QUOTE(tcunningham @ Jan 5 2010, 07:38 PM) *
Use semantic xhtml. mellow.gif

Is that really going to help? Aside from the fact that XHTML is rarely a better choice than HTML, "semantic" (X)HTML won't solve layout problems if you're using CSS. The issue is that the OP should use elastic units for CSS (em's, %'s, etc.), use absolute positioning sparingly and only "correctly", and try to lay things out in a resolution-agnostic manner.
louiohjkjhlhklkhjljkhjk
position your DIV's using
CODE
margin: auto;

Example:
CODE
div#ID
{
    width: 960px;
    margin: 0px auto; /* top and bottom = 0px, left and right = auto */
}
Mikeplyts
There's always that little absolute positioning hack.

CODE
div#id {
    width:###px;
    position:absolute;
    top:###px;
    left:50%;
    margin-left:-###px; /* This is half the amount of pixels that you input into the width property */
}

It's kind of pointless though, using the margin:auto; method that FACreate mentioned is a bunch better and it saves time and server space.
TheOn3LeftBehind
QUOTE(Mikeplyts @ Jan 10 2010, 01:40 PM) *
There's always that little absolute positioning hack.

CODE
div#id {
    width:###px;
    position:absolute;
    top:###px;
    left:50%;
    margin-left:-###px; /* This is half the amount of pixels that you input into the width property */
}

It's kind of pointless though, using the margin:auto; method that FACreate mentioned is a bunch better and it saves time and server space.

Yeah, using left:50% is your best bet.
999Murderdoll666
Im having the same issue.Im pretty new to making myspace layouts,and any website layouts in general.Im more into the content than the designing process.

But even using margin-left/top,its a few pixels off from where its supposed to be in any broswer other than IE(which i unforunatly had to use sense none of my other broswers work for some non-aparent reason stubborn.gif).

http://www.createblog.com/myspace-layouts/...ngspan/preview/

This is the layout id like help with.
Mikeplyts
Sorry to inform you, but I don't think there's really a way to have something positioned in the exact same spot in every browser. But if it's just a few pixels off, no sweat. No one really pays THAT much attention to every little detail in a layout. shrug.gif
louiohjkjhlhklkhjljkhjk
QUOTE(999Murderdoll666 @ Feb 15 2010, 11:34 PM) *
But even using margin-left/top,its a few pixels off from where its supposed to be in any broswer other than IE(which i unforunatly had to use sense none of my other broswers work for some non-aparent reason stubborn.gif).

The reason for it being a little off is because of the default margin on the body set by the browser.
Depending on which browser you are using the margin can be less or greater. Its a easy fix.
CODE
body
{
    margin: 0px;
}

I hope that helped.
999Murderdoll666
I dont know what im doing wrong but margin:0px isnt doing anything.
I'll keep messing with the css and hope i can figure it out.
Thanks much though MikeP and ahmad!
louiohjkjhlhklkhjljkhjk
Could you post you code?
manny-the-dino
Topic Closed, and Moved to Resolved Topics. Please PM a moderator if you would like this reopened.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.