Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Font rights
Forums > Resource Center > Graphics Help > Graphics Help Resolved Topics
trip13
Hey, I'm a graphic designer and just helping my sister out (fine artist) by putting together a website/logo and everything for her. She's really wanting to use Chris Hansen's 'Requiem', the font is listed as 'free for personal use', as she is using the brand to earn cash I presume that it is not allowed? I've looked all over for contact info to ask him but everything is out of date and I can't find anything current.

Help? =/

Thanks
none345678
I think that only matters if you are actually selling the logo or font itself, but I could be mistaken.
heyo-captain-jack
He's only got that copyrighted.
QUOTE(wikipedia)
The Congress shall have Power [. . .] To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

So copyright holds no legal value over visual arts, but only over inventions, discoveries, documentation, and literature.

But of course, I could be reading that too conservatively. Don't take it as 100% fact.
trip13
Thanks for the info guys, guess I will just use it - not too hard to remake anyways, Trajan Pro + some grunge haha

And IWontRapeYou, best name + avatar combo ever hahaha
none345678
QUOTE(trip13 @ Dec 11 2009, 10:41 PM) *
And IWontRapeYou, best name + avatar combo ever hahaha

I try. throb.gif
mipadi
QUOTE(itanium @ Dec 11 2009, 11:05 PM) *
So copyright holds no legal value over visual arts, but only over inventions, discoveries, documentation, and literature.

Not inventions -- that's under the purview of patent law.
brooklyneast05
copyright absolutely holds legal value over visual arts. the artist is the copyright holder from the second they create the art, and has legal rights to enforce it once registered. fonts are different though and have a lot of little confusing details when it comes to copyright. for instance bitmap fonts are not copyrightable, but scalable fonts are copyrightable. there's a difference between someone who designs a font and puts it on dafont.com and a typeface designer.

fonts used in logo design are under a whole different category than fonts used as they were originally intended to be used. it changes the rules in a lot of cases. although i can't see any "font designer" who submits their stuff to dafont.com being all that serious about their work so i wouldn't worry that much. it's best to just remake it though because they clearly specified it was free for personal use and if it had been free for all use they would have said that instead. using it for branding is probably not what they meant by personal use.
trip13
Thanks again guys, still sort of on the fence if I should use it or not. I've still been looking around and I found on 1001fonts that it's listed as Freeware opposed to dafont's Free for Personal Use.

Here's what 1001fonts had to say about Freeware:
Freeware License
Freeware fonts can be downloaded and used free of charge for both non-commercial and commercial use. Although these fonts are available for free, the author retains the copyright, meaning that restrictions usually apply to alteration, reproduction, publication and distribution of the font. Practically no author will allow you to sell his/her font for profit or to include it in another product or CD-ROM compilation without permission and in most cases you will not be allowed to use parts of the font to create your own font. Detailed copyright information is usually included in the corresponding font zip-file as readme.txt, copyright.txt or an equivalent text-file.

A lot of garble in there but it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem to use, right? No info in the attached readme file except for an old geocities site which obviously isn't running anymore.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.