Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shaving for the first time.
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
Maccabee
I just shaved my face for the first time. Im 14.
I did a god awful job. and I broke the main rule of, never go over the same place once. I was scared I was gonna cut my self. it was better after the first stroke and I knew what it felt like.

I had the dreaded teen stache. And my dad and brother don't even use shaving cream, so I used soapy water like they do. They made it even scarier.

How old were you when you first shaved?
How often do you shave?
Share your shaving stories.

Probably the coolest part is that now there is a razor in my bathroom so people will see it. hahahahaha. Ya i know.

Edit:

dang, I just looked in the mirror and I really did do a bad job. I think I didnt press hard enough cause i didnt want to cut myself, so now there are random stray hairs all over the place. how do I fix this?
heyo-captain-jack
I first shaved when I was 9 or 10, I normally shave each day (except now since it's No Shave November, I expect a Billy Mays beard out of this), and all my shaving happens the way it's supposed to.

To fix all those random stray hairs, shave again.
fire
Start waxing.
creole
I shave my moustache because I hate looking mature. =/
I guess I started shaving around 12?
synapse
i don't remember how old I was. I shave now like once every few days... I don't use shaving cream either, just water and a sharp razor. I've never been scared to shave, just don't like they way I look afterwards. I don't like a clean shave...
Maccabee
that whole, shave once and it will grow back bigger and stronger is an old tale and it is completely untrue.

Reidar
Get yourself some proper gear and throw away your cheap drugstore crap. And soapy water? Christ.

Most important thing to add (besides actual shaving soap or cream) is a badger hair brush to soften and raise the whiskers. Badgers are pretty vicious animals so you know a product is quality when it's enfused with the spirit of their dead carcasses. Don't use shitty modern razers, either, especially not disposables. Get something like this. If that looks expensive, then look how much you'll be saving on razers. In comparison, a 5-pack of orange plastic "Fusion" blades that will probably get you beaten up is $20.

This stuff is awesome as cream because they used it in Italy during World War II or something old fashioned-sounding like that. It lasts a long time because you only need a tiny bit for it to make big lather, unlike pussy canned ones that look like something you'd vandalize a wall with.

This equipment is so badass that my keyboard grew hair typing this all up. I hear classic utensils like these were the choice of Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen, and Tyrannosaurus Rex back in their days. Also if you're a wuss and my facetiousness is bothering you, then here's a nerdy article supporting what I say.
brooklyneast05
i don't get how you guys can shave with soap and water, or just water like thomas said wtf
heyo-captain-jack
I use just water because I'm too cheap to buy shaving cream.
Blyat
How many of you actually do No-shave-November?
Curious
heyo-captain-jack
I'm doing it.
none345678
About three of my friends are doing it.
Maccabee
QUOTE(Reidar @ Nov 8 2009, 05:07 PM) *
Get yourself some proper gear and throw away your cheap drugstore crap. And soapy water? Christ.

Most important thing to add (besides actual shaving soap or cream) is a badger hair brush to soften and raise the whiskers. Badgers are pretty vicious animals so you know a product is quality when it's enfused with the spirit of their dead carcasses. Don't use shitty modern razers, either, especially not disposables. Get something like this. If that looks expensive, then look how much you'll be saving on razers. In comparison, a 5-pack of orange plastic "Fusion" blades that will probably get you beaten up is $20.

This stuff is awesome as cream because they used it in Italy during World War II or something old fashioned-sounding like that. It lasts a long time because you only need a tiny bit for it to make big lather, unlike pussy canned ones that look like something you'd vandalize a wall with.

This equipment is so badass that my keyboard grew hair typing this all up. I hear classic utensils like these were the choice of Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen, and Tyrannosaurus Rex back in their days. Also if you're a wuss and my facetiousness is bothering you, then here's a nerdy article supporting what I say.

tldr.

I have already shaved once, and it worked. thats all that matters.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 8 2009, 05:11 PM) *
i don't get how you guys can shave with soap and water, or just water like thomas said wtf

I dont see why it would be a problem. The shaver just needs something to glide across.
brooklyneast05
^ but water hardly makes a razor "glide". neither does soap in my experience. if you're just shaving fuzz, then maybe that works good but if your shaving actual hair then it's shitty. i would butcher myself doing that.

i agree with reidars post.

DE razors are also the best choice for African-American men, many of whom suffer from “shave bumps”, which occur when their tougher whiskers are cut too aggressively by modern mutli-blade razors, causing them to grow back underneath the skin and turn into ingrown hairs. Switching to a DE and using a shaving brush to exfoliate the skin and prep the whiskers is good for men of all races, but African-American men in particular find that shaving with a safety razor clears up their skin and makes shaving a pleasure again.

and i can vouch that this from his article is 100% true. this kind of razor + switching from a cream to a shaving lotion is the only thing that's worked for me so far.
heyo-captain-jack
Well I normally shave often enough that it can't really get thick. That's probably the reason that I'm able to use just water.
mipadi
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 8 2009, 08:01 PM) *
^ but water hardly makes a razor "glide". neither does soap in my experience. if you're just shaving fuzz, then maybe that works good but if your shaving actual hair then it's shitty. i would butcher myself doing that.

Yeah. I have really thick, bristly whiskers, and I'm relatively certain I'd take off half my face if I shaved without cream. I'd probably look like this afterwards:

click to enlarge
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(mipadi @ Nov 8 2009, 07:16 PM) *
Yeah. I have really thick, bristly whiskers, and I'm relatively certain I'd take off half my face if I shaved without cream. I'd probably look like this afterwards:

exactly. mine are extreme thick and coarse. it sucks, i know a lot of guys who's aren't really that coarse. do you have razor bump issues too?
synapse
I never have a lot of facial hair when I shave, which isn't that often anyhow.
Maccabee
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 8 2009, 07:01 PM) *

i agree with reidars post.
and i can vouch that this from his article is 100% true. this kind of razor + switching from a cream to a shaving lotion is the only thing that's worked for me so far.

exactly, I was just shaving dark peach fuzz.
I love the prickly feeling it has now. Makes me feel manly.
also I want aftershave so I can re enact the home alone scene.
mipadi
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 8 2009, 08:23 PM) *
do you have razor bump issues too?

I do (a little bit) if I shave everyday...but normally I only shave every few days, and by then I have longer stubble, which for whatever reason seems easier/smoother to shave.
Maccabee
^makes sense really.
It would probably be easier to mow long grass then grass that is the same height as the mower. It would most likely give you an uneven lawn. (well not really cause it is a larger scale, but im sure you get the analogy.)
Tomates
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 8 2009, 06:11 PM) *

Same...

i mean, i'm female but i've always been told not to use just soap and water because it can irritate skin. So i use shaving cream on my legs. Sometimes just water but only when im showering and soaked with water...thats a lot of information.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(jcp @ Nov 8 2009, 09:19 PM) *
^makes sense really.
It would probably be easier to mow long grass then grass that is the same height as the mower. It would most likely give you an uneven lawn. (well not really cause it is a larger scale, but im sure you get the analogy.)

The point of an analogy is so people understand your point better.
Maccabee
QUOTE(Tomates @ Nov 8 2009, 09:23 PM) *
Same...

i mean, i'm female but i've always been told not to use just soap and water because it can irritate skin. So i use shaving cream on my legs. Sometimes just water but only when im showering and soaked with water...thats a lot of information.

well you should just try and see if it irritates your skin for yourself.

I was suprised i didnt turn red, cause I have super sensitive skin.
also, what do you guys think about shaving with a knife. so manly. I know a guy who does that.
Reidar
QUOTE(jcp @ Nov 8 2009, 07:33 PM) *
tldr.

I have already shaved once, and it worked. thats all that matters.
I dont see why it would be a problem. The shaver just needs something to glide across.

No you didn't. Your first post was about how your shave job sucked.

Foam is not an equatable lubricant to glycerin. You probably don't have rough Middle-Eastern hair, though, so you can afford to shave like a girlie man.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(jcp @ Nov 8 2009, 09:38 PM) *
what do you guys think about shaving with a knife. so manly.

I use pliers to pull each hair out one by one.
Maccabee
QUOTE(Reidar @ Nov 10 2009, 04:56 PM) *
No you didn't. Your first post was about how your shave job sucked.

Foam is not an equatable lubricant to glycerin. You probably don't have rough Middle-Eastern hair, though, so you can afford to shave like a girlie man.

I am a girly man. its called being a teenager.
Reidar
You're doing it wrong, then. Testosterone increases when you're a male teenager, not estrogen.
heyo-captain-jack
for real, joseph is terrible at puberty.
LittleMissSunshine
SHAVING IS EASY.... not. go cut yourself.
datass
QUOTE(jcp @ Nov 11 2009, 11:26 AM) *
I am a girly man.

I am a girly man.

I am a girly man.

I am a girly man.

I am a girly man.

I am a girly man.

I am a girly man.

yeah i know
Reidar
QUOTE(Reidar @ Nov 8 2009, 06:07 PM) *

I don't even remember this. Goddamn do I give good advice.
sixfive
QUOTE(Reidar @ Aug 19 2010, 02:42 PM) *
I don't even remember this. Goddamn do I give good advice.

You should lay off the memory impairing drugs.
Maccabee
update

now i just use coconut oil and a razor
no way im putting that toxic chemical shit on my face
Tomates
QUOTE(Maccabee @ Dec 13 2011, 12:53 AM) *
update

So...are you like, completely vegan? Like not only food but whole lifestyle?
Maccabee
QUOTE(Tomates @ Dec 13 2011, 01:47 AM) *
So...are you like, completely vegan? Like not only food but whole lifestyle?

no, i just don't like putting anything on my body that i wouldn't put in my body.
most 'beauty products' aren't good for you. think about it, you're paying 5 dollars for a plastic bottle, filled with a mixture where the first ingredient is water followed by a bunch of inexpensive chemically manufactured ingredients that dry out your hair/skin/face.

i use baking soda for pretty much everything.
Tomates
QUOTE(Maccabee @ Dec 13 2011, 09:11 AM) *
no, i just don't like putting anything on my body that i wouldn't put in my body.
most 'beauty products' aren't good for you. think about it, you're paying 5 dollars for a plastic bottle, filled with a mixture where the first ingredient is water followed by a bunch of inexpensive chemically manufactured ingredients that dry out your hair/skin/face.

i use baking soda for pretty much everything.

I was just curious, just because I do know some people who have taken a whole vegan lifestyle.
And yeah as for putting stuff on my skin I actually don't wear foundation or coverup. I actually just wear eyeliner and mascara. And because of that i feel like my skin is a lot less oily and breaks out a lot less.
none345678
^Have you ever tried bare minerals foundation? It's a good alternative to liquid/powder foundation.

As far as "toxic chemicals" I don't really give a shit. If I die at least I'll die pretty.
Tomates
QUOTE(JackRapington @ Dec 13 2011, 04:32 PM) *
^Have you ever tried bare minerals foundation? It's a good alternative to liquid/powder foundation.

As far as "toxic chemicals" I don't really give a shit. If I die at least I'll die pretty.

My friend uses bare minerals and she said she really likes it and she has broken out less. I also just don't like the way foundations and shit feel on my face.
Maccabee
QUOTE(Tomates @ Dec 13 2011, 01:49 PM) *
I was just curious, just because I do know some people who have taken a whole vegan lifestyle.
And yeah as for putting stuff on my skin I actually don't wear foundation or coverup. I actually just wear eyeliner and mascara. And because of that i feel like my skin is a lot less oily and breaks out a lot less.

i LOVE girls who can just not wear makeup. i can always tell the difference and a natural glowing complexion looks so much better than a really good makeup.

but i dont know if all guys would agree with my opinion... i also don't like perfume or cologne or any artificial smell for that matter. i prefer the smell of nothing, or natural human scent. but most girls don't have a sweet natural scent because they aren't eating right so they have to cover it up with something.
Tomates
QUOTE(Maccabee @ Dec 13 2011, 08:30 PM) *
i LOVE girls who can just not wear makeup. i can always tell the difference and a natural glowing complexion looks so much better than a really good makeup.

but i dont know if all guys would agree with my opinion... i also don't like perfume or cologne or any artificial smell for that matter. i prefer the smell of nothing, or natural human scent. but most girls don't have a sweet natural scent because they aren't eating right so they have to cover it up with something.

Teehee! Yeah I feel like my complexion isn't too bad, and I don't really feel the need to cover it if it looks fine.

I like perfumes, but I guess for my own personal taste I hate the really fruity or sweet smelling perfumes. I kinda like more neutral smells? Nothing too sweet but not musky.
I have a Intimately Beckham perfume that I really like. I got it as a gift from my ex.
Surprise surprise since I've been gone me and my boyfriend of 2.5 years broke up.
livin the single lyfe yo.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Maccabee @ Dec 12 2011, 11:53 PM) *
update

grow a beard
Maccabee
QUOTE(wwwww @ Dec 14 2011, 10:25 PM) *
grow a beard

i cant yet. only a tiny stache and some chin hairs.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Maccabee @ Dec 14 2011, 10:54 PM) *
i cant yet. only a tiny stache and some chin hairs.

grow some pubes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.