Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deleting XP, installing W7.
Forums > Community Center > Technology
HeartOfPandora
So about a week ago, Wind0ze XP broke for good. No idea what I did, but I can't even boot safe mode. Considering 7 just came out, I'm feeling that it's time for an upgrade.

Currently, I "dualboot" XP SP3 & Karmic Koala Ubuntu (the latter of which I've been on since XP died), but since XP is dead why not just get rid of it, you know?

I don't currently have an external HDD, nor am I able to borrow or buy one. Closest thing I have is my 70Gb PS3. I'll probably back up as many files on here as I possibly can, but I'd really rather figure out a way to not have to do this (so time consuming!).

My questions are as follows:

- How do I get rid of the XP partition (and effectively the entire OS) without losing Ubuntu?
- Can I put Windows 7 on my computer without having to wipe it and lose all my stuff?
- Know of any good online storage sites for all kinds of files?
- Wanna lend me a 100GB external? :P

Any ideas / advice?
heyo-captain-jack
First question, do you have /boot on a separate partition? If not, you're probably going to have to reinstall ubuntu, so first, back up anything on your ubuntu partition that you need.

Second, for removing Windows XP, just format that partition to ntfs from Ubuntu's GParted, and then install windows 7 over it.

also, for backing up shit, if you must use an online service instead of USB drives or external HDDs, I suggest just getting a freewebs account or something and hosting it all there.
Maccabee
QUOTE(itanium @ Oct 30 2009, 04:02 PM) *
Second, for removing Windows XP, just format that partition to ntfs from Ubuntu's GParted, and then install windows 7 over it.

In short. this.

but I have learned from experience that you cant do it vise versa because windows uses the ubuntu bootloader or whatevs. and that will give you a grub 22 error.
heyo-captain-jack
you can, but you have to uninstall GRUB first.
HeartOfPandora
So basically, it'd be easier to just backup my files and wipe my computer.

:\
heyo-captain-jack
you should be able to install GRUB if you can get into your ubuntu partition (which may require a grub boot disk)
heyo-captain-jack
One important thing before you install windows 7, what are your computer's specs?
synapse
I hope you know that you can't legally upgrade from xp to 7, nor from the beta of 7 to the full version of 7 from the upgrade version. You'd have to purchase the full version. cheers
HeartOfPandora
QUOTE(itanium @ Oct 30 2009, 05:12 PM) *
One important thing before you install windows 7, what are your computer's specs?

Already got this covered. I ran a bunch of terminal commands for my friend and she says I'm good to go. thumbsup.gif

QUOTE(tcunningham @ Oct 30 2009, 09:42 PM) *
I hope you know that you can't legally upgrade from xp to 7, nor from the beta of 7 to the full version of 7 from the upgrade version. You'd have to purchase the full version. cheers

MEH, leeegalwut. Who needs it. whistling.gif
HeartOfPandora
SOLVED, I am now running Windows 7 Ultimate. :3

Close thread, plz~ <3
manny-the-dino
Topic Closed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.