Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Personal computer help?
Forums > Community Center > Technology > Tech Help
creole
There is a weird problem going on with my computer. Most of the time, the screen will have a black bar near the left or right and the screen itself would be misaligned. The only way I could fix it is by Right Click > Properties > Settings > and changing the screen resolution. Any other way to make this stop?

Another thing is sometimes my computer screen just freezes and bunches of colored lines would stretch the whole screen. The only way I stop this is by turning off the computer and hope it doesn't happen again. Any suggestions?
Maccabee
are you using a crt monitor? there should be a default resolution that the computer uses. just find the one that looks best and leave it. but if it isnt a laptop most likeley there is a menu on the monitor. just click the menu and play around with the settings. and change the width. but changing it to a better monitor makes more sense or else it will be stretched.

think of it like this. square monitor, 100x100. so if the resolution were 50 wide and 100 high there would be bars. that resolution of course doesnt exist though.

and does anything trigger the lines? if not then it may be overheating. make sure the computer has room around it and no vents are being covered.
creole
QUOTE(jcp @ Oct 27 2009, 04:14 PM) *
are you using a crt monitor? there should be a default resolution that the computer uses. just find the one that looks best and leave it. but if it isnt a laptop most likeley there is a menu on the monitor. just click the menu and play around with the settings. and change the width. but changing it to a better monitor makes more sense or else it will be stretched.

think of it like this. square monitor, 100x100. so if the resolution were 50 wide and 100 high there would be bars. that resolution of course doesnt exist though.

and does anything trigger the lines? if not then it may be overheating. make sure the computer has room around it and no vents are being covered.

Yahh, the resolution is where it's suppose to be, but it still acts up. Usually acts up when I make something full screen.

and for the line part, idk really. right before i see the lines, i hear the computer go "BLIRP BLIRP BLIRP" and then i see colored lines everywhere.
heyo-captain-jack
Sounds like either your GPU is dying, or it's overheating.
creole
Any ways to replace my GPU with a good one?
heyo-captain-jack
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Download and run GPU-Z, and post your budget for a new GPU.
creole
is there anything online that i can just go to a site and find the same thing?
heyo-captain-jack
Nope.

You could post a picture of the inside of your computer instead, all I need to find out is whether you have an AGP slot or a PCIe slot.
Maccabee
QUOTE(Beenly @ Oct 28 2009, 04:57 PM) *
is there anything online that i can just go to a site and find the same thing?

dude i know your always worried about virus. its not. just do it.

or buy a new gpu hoping that its gonna fix the problem.

could you tell us more about the computer?
creole
will cpu specs work??
heyo-captain-jack
No.

I need your GPU specs.

also, techpowerup is a major company. GPU-Z isn't a virus.

Also you're just as likely to get a virus using a web service to do it as you are using that.
creole
Downloads link?

ok which one do i download?
heyo-captain-jack
Third one.
creole
how do i post the specs, lol
heyo-captain-jack
A screenshot is what I need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.