Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you listen to while you work?
Forums > Community Center > Music
ksowocki
I've been into music lately while working lately. Mostly, I listen to it while I'm coding. For the most part, I listen to ambient or electronic stuff, with no words.

Funny how it gets you into the 'flow' and helps eliminate distractions. :)

What all do you guys listen to?

Here is my list
- Radiohead
- Explosions in the sky
- Album Leaf
- Lotus
hypnotique

Industrial music baby.

Moved to music
creole
i listen to lots of genre at school cuz our teachers uses pandora radio
;D
karmakiller
I don't listen to music when I'm doing homework, because I can't focus on both at the same time. But when I'm doing any other kind of work I'll listen to a lot of different type of stuff... 60's rock, ska...
Maccabee
I listen to music with no words. No techno though.
As of late, a lot of ratata and the new mutemath cd.
herLiminality
Usually when I'm doing homework I just listen to instrumentals and soundtracks, cause words in songs distract me from reading!

So I usually have my Joe Hisaishi, Yiruma, Yuki Kajiura and some others playing.

iDecay
^ I've only heard one song from Joe Hisaishi, maybe I should check out a few more since I really liked it.

I have a study playlist full of soft instrumentals, songs from K-Dramas (Because I can't sing along if IDK wtf they're saying..) and a lot of songs from Yiruma, Jim Brickman, Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Ros, and Album Leaf. I randomly play a bit of Stars too.

I have a teacher who has the same taste in study music as me so he plays that stuff in class, but he adds in some Jay Chou. The Jay Chou is kind of distracting though because I can somewhat understand what he is saying in his slurs and I might accidentally write down "Jay Chou drafted the Deceleration of Independence" on my notes. ermm.gif

When I'm just doing work that doesn't involve my full concentration, I put on soft rock.
datass
when im working (essays, reading etc) i can never listen to music and really concentrate. it just doesnt work for me.

but when im doing art related things, music really makes me work more. that usually works well with rock, pop, hiphop and r&b not so much..
Gigi
If I'm doing math or something that requires very straighforward, logical thinking, I'll listen to whatever I'm liking at the moment as long as it isn't too loud or obnoxious.

But if I'm writing or trying to memorize some text-heavy material, I absolutely cannot have ANY distracting noise. Instead I listen to white noise to drown out as much as possible.
herLiminality
QUOTE(iDecay @ Sep 21 2009, 09:05 PM) *
^ I've only heard one song from Joe Hisaishi, maybe I should check out a few more since I really liked it.

I love Joe Hisaishi, I definately suggest listening to more from him (:
If you've ever watched any Studio Ghibli or Miyazaki films he's the mastermind behind all the music. Theres so many of his performances on youtube, I'm sure you'll like most of them. I'm still on the hunt for more songs, I've been 'collecting' for awhile

Maccabee
QUOTE(Gigi @ Sep 21 2009, 09:20 PM) *
If I'm doing math or something that requires very straighforward, logical thinking, I'll listen to whatever I'm liking at the moment as long as it isn't too loud or obnoxious.

But if I'm writing or trying to memorize some text-heavy material, I absolutely cannot have ANY distracting noise. Instead I listen to white noise to drown out as much as possible.

I enjoy white noise to. I have a two very loud fans that I leave on almost all the time.
datass
i dont understand why people like white noise, to me it just sounds like static noise and it's irritating..
heyo-captain-jack
Pure ambient noise bands, shit like Wolf Eyes.
superstitious
I typically shuffle at work. For entire albums, my go-to music artists/albums are the following:

Radiohead (Ok Computer, Kid A, In Rainbows and The Erasure (Thom Yorke))
The Decemberists (Castaways and Cutouts, Her Majesty the Decemberists and The Hazards of Love)
Eels (Beautiful Freak and Daisies of the Galaxy)
Ben Folds (Rockin' the Suburbs and Songs for Silverman)
The Beatles (Abbey Road, Help! and Rubber Soul)
Jump, Little Children (Vertigo)

Not a complete list, but a few off the cuff.
none345678
I listen to straight up classical. Mozart, Beethoven ect. Who knows why
Maccabee
QUOTE(Buttsex @ Sep 22 2009, 08:41 PM) *
Pure ambient noise bands, shit like Wolf Eyes.

purfffeeeeccccctttttttttttttttttt
Gigi
QUOTE(doughnut @ Sep 22 2009, 06:23 PM) *
i dont understand why people like white noise, to me it just sounds like static noise and it's irritating..

I actually listen to "pink noise" which is a lot less abrasive to the ears, at least to me. After a while of listening to it, the noise just sounds like the workings of your brain or something lol.

Personally I'd rather listen to white noise and be able to get some work done rather than think over a couple arguing in the far corner...happens a lot when I study at school. ><
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(jcp @ Sep 22 2009, 08:49 PM) *
purfffeeeeccccctttttttttttttttttt

wat
mipadi
Well, the other day I was listening to Nine Inch Nails. But my current office-mate doesn't like it when I play music, so mostly I just listen to the ventilation system. sad.gif
datass
QUOTE(Gigi @ Sep 23 2009, 11:06 AM) *
I actually listen to "pink noise" which is a lot less abrasive to the ears, at least to me. After a while of listening to it, the noise just sounds like the workings of your brain or something lol.

Personally I'd rather listen to white noise and be able to get some work done rather than think over a couple arguing in the far corner...happens a lot when I study at school. ><

well, i've tried listening to brown noise, which i think is the least 'abrasive'. after a while it just gets on my nerves too. i wish i got some really good earplugs lol.
Gigi
I use in-ear earbuds, don't know if that makes a difference...honestly after listening to the noise for like 2 minutes it just becomes background fuzz. *shrug*
hypnotique
QUOTE(mipadi @ Sep 23 2009, 03:07 PM) *
Well, the other day I was listening to Nine Inch Nails. But my current office-mate doesn't like it when I play music, so mostly I just listen to the ventilation system. sad.gif

that sucks
superstitious
QUOTE(mipadi @ Sep 23 2009, 03:07 PM) *

I listen with earbuds. People listen to country for the most part, so I have to drown that out anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.