Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Exercise is making you fat"
Forums > Community Center > Academia > News
karmakiller
After all, doesn't exercise turn fat to muscle?

Yes, although the muscle-fat relationship is often misunderstood.

Which means that after you work out hard enough to convert, say, 10 lb. of fat to muscle — a major achievement — you would be able to eat only an extra 40 calories per day

You should exercise to improve your health, but be warned: fiery spurts of vigorous exercise could lead to weight gain.
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,...14857-1,00.html

I always thought you had to have some kind of credentials before writing an article for Time magazine.
Teesa
mm i read this like a week ago and thought it was pretty good.

this part made me laugh:
If you're more physically active, you're going to get hungry and eat more." Gortmaker, who has studied childhood obesity, is even suspicious of the playgrounds at fast-food restaurants. "Why would they build those?" he asks. "I know it sounds kind of like conspiracy theory, but you have to think, if a kid plays five minutes and burns 50 calories, he might then go inside and consume 500 calories or even 1,000."

but anyways, i agree with what cloud wrote. in high school, i hardly ever exercised until my senior year and even when i started doing it regularly, i didn't lose any weight at all and it was because i was still eating a lot of junk food stuff. i really think it's mostly about discipline and self-control. and alluding to what the article mentioned, people (including me) really overestimate how many calories they burn during a workout and think it's okay to just go and eat whatever afterward.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.