Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: nutrition labels
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Food
Teesa
do you read nutrition labels when you buy food at the grocery store? or at fast food places and restaurants?

and if you do, what kind of stuff do you check?

i look at them all the time when i buy stuff or go out to eat and i check most of the label.
manny-the-dino
I check them sometimes. I'll look at how many calories it has per serving and the amount of sugar as well. I also look at the ingredients. I heard that if sugar is one of the first five ingredients, you shouldn't be eating it. Which is the case for most foods lol.
-DressYourEyelids-
of course.
i'm vegan. i have to make sure i'm getting enough of everything so i can continue to survive. i also need to make sure there is no animal products in my food.
plus... i don't want to be eating crap, y'know?
brooklyneast05
NEVER
none345678
I look at calories sometimes, but it never really makes a difference to if I buy it or not.
Maccabee
yes.
I once got a corn dog that said 0 everything. Im guessing it was a glitch but it was awesome. I scanned it.
smash
the only time i check nutrition labels is to make sure whatever i'm buying doesn't have any peanuts/trace of peanuts in it. i personally don't care about the nutritional value of what i eat.
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(manny-the-dino @ Aug 10 2009, 06:59 PM) *
I'll look at how many calories it has per serving and the amount of sugar as well.

+ sodium, fat (saturated and trans), cholesterol, and vitamins and minerals. I don't usually check the ingredients since I don't eat a lot of junk/"unhealthy" food.
heyo-captain-jack
Every time, unless it's something I've already got memorized (aka a ton of crap).

I check everything.
Nickfury
its very important for me to stay healthy i break dance i dont read labels though i know what i should buy and what i shouldnt i know that fast food is bad i only have it as a treat like once a month.
superstitious
Religiously. I have to watch my sodium intake, so I absolutely must read nutrition labels. It's astounding how much sodium there is in most food, particularly canned food and deli meat. I'm making most things from scratch now, using fresh ingredients. The toughest thing to get used to was not using pasta sauce from a jar. It was so convenient. I've learned to prefer the taste of the homemade sauce though. I miss roast beef sandwiches as well.

sixfive
i dont have cholesterol, blood pressure, fat, or sugar problems, so not really :[. I either acknowledge it as unhealthy and don't worry too much about it, or it's something I know is good i.e. fruits/veggies or granola bars, oatmeal, etc.
karmakiller
When I'm buying something for myself, I don't worry too much... I just glance at the ingredients (if it's canned or boxed) so I know what I'm buying. If it's something for the family I MUST check it. My brother has diabetes and my mom has to be careful for her heart.
Harp
QUOTE(Nickfury @ Aug 11 2009, 08:38 AM) *
its very important for me to stay healthy. i break dance. i dont read labels though. i know what i should buy and what i shouldnt. i know that fast food is bad. i only have it as a treat like once a month.

oh, you got that last one, lmao.

anyway, i only look at them for fun. i don't care what i'm eating. honestly.
datass
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Aug 11 2009, 07:48 AM) *
NEVER

Gigi
I do check it out, but not obsessively. It's a good idea to get a quantitative assessment of what you're eating. But I only check it to make sure I'm not about to eat something TERRIFYINGLY bad for me, like that time I almost ate a 1000-calorie cookie (yes, that's ONE normal sized cookie). In fact, I think it's that same cookie that caused me to check nutrition labels all the time now!

It doesn't prevent be from eating other not-quite-healthy snacks though. I know what's bad for me but I also know my limits, and I think that's enough for the average person.

Although, I do think nutrition labels are a privilege where we live and that we should take advantage of them. I've been living in HK for a couple of weeks now and feel completely lost when I don't have nutrition labels to read, especially for frozen desserts...gahh...
firechild
i don't need to. i'll be hypermetabolic for the rest of my life (doc said so) :)
transcendentalism
Always. I don't have health problems currently, but I don't want to be anticipating them in the future.
hi-C
QUOTE(-DressYourEyelids- @ Aug 10 2009, 07:12 PM) *
of course.
i'm vegan. i have to make sure i'm getting enough of everything so i can continue to survive. i also need to make sure there is no animal products in my food.
plus... i don't want to be eating crap, y'know?
Me too, except substitute vegetarian for vegan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.