Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much better is 7200rpm then 5400rpm?
Forums > Community Center > Technology > Tech Help
Maccabee
Im buying my mac right now and it asked me if I wanted to make any upgrades. Would spending an extra 90$ dollars be worth it for a 7200rpm hard drive? And will it decrease battery time and make it hotter?
emberfly
about 1800 rpms better
Maccabee
I bet you dont even know what rpm stands for.
Nickfury
^ lmao! revolutions per minute,

the faster the HD, the more it will heat, but the faster it is the quicker your stuff loads. the newer macbook pros that have the 7200 rpm blow away the older models with 4500 and 5400 rpm. spend the money. itll be worth it.
Maccabee
the 15 inch macbook pros come standard with 5400 rpm.
Dang, I am really blowing my savings. I get no allowance and I have been saving my whole life with business. haha.
heyo-captain-jack
It's not worth an extra $90, but it's nice to have.

Edit:

5400 RPM is standard for laptops, because it uses less power. If you go with the 7200 RPM drive, you will lose battery life.
Maccabee
How much shorter will the battery life be? Right now it is 7 hours.
Like in percentage. How much better is the performance with 7200rpm?
illriginal
QUOTE(jcp @ Aug 7 2009, 04:49 PM) *
Im buying my mac right now and it asked me if I wanted to make any upgrades. Would spending an extra 90$ dollars be worth it for a 7200rpm hard drive? And will it decrease battery time and make it hotter?

This is coming from someone who thinks Buttsex knows what the hell he's saying/doing.

You suck, jcp... you suck.
Maccabee
I trust him more then you. Even if you did know more then him, I wouldnt listen to anything you say cause I don't trust you and your a douche.
emberfly
you're*
illriginal
QUOTE(jcp @ Aug 7 2009, 06:56 PM) *
I trust him more then you. Even if you did know more then him, I wouldnt listen to anything you say cause I don't trust you and your a douche.

lawl you don't trust me? With that little comment you left for me... I'd give you a real reason not to trust me, little boy.
heyo-captain-jack
Little man talks big shit.
Maccabee
Atleast I can talk the talk.

QUOTE(jcp @ Aug 7 2009, 04:59 PM) *
How much shorter will the battery life be? Right now it is 7 hours.
Like in percentage. How much better is the performance with 7200rpm?

?
heyo-captain-jack
I'm not sure at all, but if I had to guess, it will knock it down to about four and a half hours.
Maccabee
And how much better performance does 7200rpm give you?
heyo-captain-jack
Really not too much at all if you're not doing any gaming or anything. Buying the 7200 over the 5400 literally takes milliseconds off the amount of time it takes to save something.
Maccabee
So it sounds to me like I shouldnt do it.
heyo-captain-jack
No you shouldn't. I, personally, would get the cheapest options possible, and upgrade it myself with parts from Newegg or Tigerdirect.
Maccabee
I dont wanna open this baby up. But if you were going to upgrade everything, would you upgrade the hard drive to 7200rpm?
heyo-captain-jack
Probably not. Just hard drive capacity and RAM.
Uronacid
Actually the 7200 RPM HDD's are a lot faster, however you'll only notice the performance gain when saving large files, loading the OS, and opening programs. Having a 7200 RPM HDD increases the speed at which the HDD can load data into or out of the RAM. Once it's done either, you will not notice a difference. I have a 10,000 RPM HDD in my computer, and I definitely notice a difference. Of course, it definitely depends on the brand of HDD used.

2.5" HDD Benchmarks:
http://go.notebookreview.com/?id=525X832&a...marks%2C53.html
Maccabee
ehhh, then I think 5400rpm is better. Cause im ok with waiting a little bit longer for stuff but I mainly care about snappiness. How much faster could you save a large file with 7200rpm hard drive.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Aug 8 2009, 12:26 AM) *
Of course, it definitely depends on the brand of HDD used.

Exactly. Most prebuilts use Hitachi drives, which are notorious for being crappy.
Uronacid
QUOTE(jcp @ Aug 8 2009, 01:57 AM) *
ehhh, then I think 5400rpm is better. Cause im ok with waiting a little bit longer for stuff but I mainly care about snappiness. How much faster could you save a large file with 7200rpm hard drive.

i posted those bench marks for a reason...
Maccabee
They are very confusing. I didnt understand the site.
Uronacid
QUOTE(jcp @ Aug 9 2009, 11:23 PM) *
They are very confusing. I didnt understand the site.

It depends on the brand of HDD. Anyway, once a program is loaded into memory you won't notice the difference in performance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.