Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: when you straighten your hair ....
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Girls' Locker
princessx143
and smoke (or steam.. as i heard some people say) coming out of your hair/straightener, is that bad? no, i dont smell anything burning, but when i see the smoke/steam i get worried sometimes :/ and i know you guys might say turn down the temperature, but i'd rather leave it at 370.. because it gets the job done.
Mikeplyts
Are you straightening your hair while it's wet? O_O
AimeeLynn
QUOTE(xojessiee @ Aug 4 2009, 05:34 PM) *
and smoke (or steam.. as i heard some people say) coming out of your hair/straightener, is that bad? no, i dont smell anything burning, but when i see the smoke/steam i get worried sometimes :/ and i know you guys might say turn down the temperature, but i'd rather leave it at 370.. because it gets the job done.

It's bad, Your not suppose to straighten your hair wet. It just damages the hair plus not even straightening it.
Dry your hair with a drier or towel before straightening it or curling your hair. You probably put it on high because it doesn't straighten because it's still wet.

Meganmon
You just need to dry your hair more, even when your hair is damp, it'll steam like that & the curls won't be pretty. :T
princessx143
nope, my hair was completely dry.. :|
none345678
Do you put a lot of products in before you straighten it?
Maccabee
You are wrong. Why else would steam appear unless there was h20 in your hair?

Also you are black. Am i right?
transcendentalism
Yes, it's bad. It's kind of like boiling your hair... do you put heat protectant in your hair before flat ironing it?
princessx143
QUOTE(IWontRapeYou @ Aug 4 2009, 07:40 PM) *
Do you put a lot of products in before you straighten it?

i tried my straightener this morning (i just got it today)
and at the time when i was trying it, i didnt put any product in it.
but the day before that i straightened my hair and it had chi's iron guard & chi's silk infusion in it.

QUOTE(jcp @ Aug 4 2009, 07:42 PM) *
Also you are black. Am i right?

nope. asian.

QUOTE(transcendentalism @ Aug 4 2009, 08:01 PM) *
Yes, it's bad. It's kind of like boiling your hair... do you put heat protectant in your hair before flat ironing it?

yupp. i use chi's iron guard. and sometimes i use chi's silk infusion with it after i spray the iron guard.. or sometimes i just spray the iron guard and put the silk infusion after i straighten/curl/wave my hair
heyo-captain-jack
Mine steams. Mine is supposed to.
-DressYourEyelids-
the steam escaping is actually the moisture and protective oils in your hair evaporating. it's a sign of frying your hair.
if you can, get a straightner that infuses some steam back in your hair. there's always going to be damage done to your hair regardless of what flat iron you use, but it is the better choice.
Melie
i suggest blow drying your hair to prevent it from burning so much with the flat iron. use a round brissle brush that has the aluminum casing to help you straighten your hair with the blow dryer. then BEFORE you flat iron, put a heat protecting straightening lotion in your hair. after your done flat ironing, spray some type of oil or sheen to your hair to prevent fly aways, frizz and dryness from the iron.

<--hispanic with thick, curly hair. it takes me 2-3 hours to straighten my hair and this is the process i do.
Shelby-Zu
OKAY,
i kinda skipped over everyone elses replies, so sorry if im just repeating,

but there are several reasons why this could be happening:
1. your hair could be wet or damp, and straightening it is ruining/burning your hair, even if you dont smell it
2. you could be leaving it on your hair for too long and it is again, ruining/burning your hair- DAMAGE
3. are you wearing hairspray or heat protecting spray? coz those will make your hair "steam" too. BUT THATS WHEN ITS GOOD, those things PROTECT your hair more from burning and damaging it than just doing it without hair spray or heat spray on it, it also helps it stay in place.

there ARE straighteners you can get that you can use when your hair is dry OR wet.
but i personally dont recommend them :/
just preference

hope this helped!
and i apologize for skipping over everyone elses posts. im sure all of this may have been said XP
x

and if none of these are the reasons your hair is steaming, lemme know x
ComicStix
Sheesh are there any black people on these forums? stubborn.gif
transcendentalism
QUOTE(ComicStix @ Aug 6 2009, 12:46 PM) *
Sheesh are there any black people on these forums? stubborn.gif

I fail to see the relevancy.
Shelby-Zu
QUOTE(transcendentalism @ Aug 6 2009, 07:22 PM) *
I fail to see the relevancy.

..you sound too familiar.
i dont like it :/
princessx143
QUOTE(Shelby-Zu @ Aug 5 2009, 06:16 PM) *
3. are you wearing hairspray or heat protecting spray? coz those will make your hair "steam" too. BUT THATS WHEN ITS GOOD, those things PROTECT your hair more from burning and damaging it than just doing it without hair spray or heat spray on it, it also helps it stay in place.

yeah i think this one is it :) i put in chi's iron guard AND chi's silk infusion x]
markmejia
That means it's working.
princessx143
so my hair isnt like burning or anything is it?
and i shouldnt be bothered by the steam/smoke?
Shelby-Zu
QUOTE(xojessiee @ Aug 10 2009, 10:36 PM) *
yeah i think this one is it :) i put in chi's iron guard AND chi's silk infusion x]

yes, thats exactly what is causing it to "steam"
its not burning :3

QUOTE(Markster @ Aug 10 2009, 11:24 PM) *
That means it's working.

correct ^___^

QUOTE(xojessiee @ Aug 10 2009, 11:35 PM) *
so my hair isnt like burning or anything is it?
and i shouldnt be bothered by the steam/smoke?

no, you shouldnt be bothered
as long as you're wearing something on your hair like that, its not buring,
the steam is from the product ^___^

Topic closed :3
goth-nina
My mother used to work in a salon. Doing those things when your hair is still wet is a big no no. Damages it. Do what I do:

Wash your hair with shampoo, & leave a special conditioner on for a few minutes. Wash the conditioner off, & blow dry your hair. No extreme heat, just a cool heat. Then comb it, & wait till it dries completely. Then you can iron it, etc.

I'm Hispanic, so my hair's straight & wavy/curly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.