Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back Pain
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
nosylilme
I started working out a couple weeks ago with the Slim in 6 workout programs. In the videos, she has you do crunches. Everytime I try to do these I need to stop after 10 or so because my back starts hurting a bunch. I don't know whether it's because my form is wrong, or maybe it's just my back. I usually get back aches even when I don't work out. Sooo..Can anyone help me out? Maybe some alternative moves that aren't so hard on my back? tongue.gif
Reidar
The trainer's crunches most likely suck, as is often the case. You should rise very slowly and with a straight back to eliminate the psoas (hip flexors) from tugging on your spine.

If your pain is chronic, you should get any book by Stuart McGill, professor of spine biomechanics at the University of Waterloo and probably the world's best authority on back afflictions.
nosylilme
I'll try that out tomorrow. And I'll look up Stuart McGill to see if it'll help me out with my back. Thanks so much. happy.gif
Reidar
Check out this topic for some general tips, too.
Gypsy Eyes
One thing to make sure of is that you are keeping your lower back pressed into the floor. If it is coming up and down it will kill your back.
Reidar
Yup, that's why sit-ups suck.

I did a video on how to do crunches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K572x-FLLvI
drinksmokefuck
should you keep your eyes focused on one thing during the crunches

actually nvm, its the position of the head that matters
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.