Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebs don't kill me!
Forums > Community Center > Technology > Tech Help
DoubleJ
Ok guys here is the situation. I am going to be making my very first laptop purchase in the next few days. It won't be the mac that I wanted (That one comes later probably as a birthday/christmas gift to myself) but for right now I am in dire need of a laptop. As some of you may have noticed by my recent tweets, the time to get one is NOW!

I have been looking on the J&R website (JC you'll know who they are) and I came across this one. Tell me what you think about it:

http://www.jr.com/hp/pe/HP_G60230US_hy_RB/

I want something that will be able to take a minidisk? from my digital camera. I am also going to play the sims 3 on this lol. This computer would mostly be for just downloading music and everyday use. Browsing the web and things of that nature.
superstitious
stubborn.gif

Next time a community member complains about staff taking advantage, I'm pointing in your direction!
DoubleJ
hmm
sixfive
check out refurbished dell laptops
emberfly
wouldn't it be slow with only 3gigs of ram on a vista?
DoubleJ
only reason I am buying refurbished or low price right now is because I need something for like now now now obviously I have my sights on that mac sh.
synapse
is your budget max $500?
DoubleJ
No of course not but I am trying to do a lot with my money right now so I am trying to get the most I can. Like I said I am not going to spend so much money on this laptop when I am getting a mac in december anyway ya know. This is more of just something to "beat up" I am also looking on newegg.com right now too. Any other sites I should check out?
synapse
If it's just something to tie you over for the next few months:

Inspiron 15 - $574
2.0Ghz processor, 15.6" screen, 3GB mem, 500GB HD, wireless, no webcam
Inspiron 14 - $499
2.0Ghz processor, 14.0" screen, 3GB mem, 500GB HD, wireless, no webcam
HP G60t series - $499
superstitious
Javonn did I scare you? hahah

Did you want a webcam built in?

DoubleJ
although we have had our runins in the past, I thank you for helping me thomas.

Yes and yes rebs lol
DoubleJ
I am still looking around but that g60t looks good and I got some free upgrades with it too
Uronacid
None of those machines are going to run sims 3. You need a dedicated video card.
synapse
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jul 14 2009, 02:35 PM) *
None of those machines are going to run sims 3. You need a dedicated video card.

Not necessarily. I ran sims 3 on my machine, before the dedicated graphics, and it worked fine, with everything on low, it wasn't that much of an issue, unless you like to play in a 1st person point-of-view. I prefer 3rd person pov, so it didn't affect visuals that much. Granted, with dedicated graphics, the visuals were much nicer.
DoubleJ
I like third person as well when it comes to the sims. Only thing I play first person are shooters.
DoubleJ
what does this mean?

3072 MB DDR2 RAM Max: 4 GB

is that 3 gigs?
mipadi
QUOTE(DoubleJ @ Jul 14 2009, 03:29 PM) *
what does this mean?

3072 MB DDR2 RAM Max: 4 GB

is that 3 gigs?

Yes. 1 GB = 1024 MB = 1024 KB = 1024 bytes
DoubleJ
Wow so nobody is going to help me eh?!
drinksmokefuck
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jul 15 2009, 02:35 AM) *

Not to mention a better CPU
DoubleJ
I mean idk I am kind of computer dumb I don't really need one to play sims 3 it would be nice though.
drinksmokefuck
I was gonna suggest an alienware, but its a bit on the expensive side. If the sims isn't something to worry about, that HP is fine.
DoubleJ
Did you happen to go over the other stuff that I had there?
drinksmokefuck
I dont trust anything from toshiba, but the two HPs from newegg seem good. One has a bigger screen, the other is slightly faster
sixfive
dang chink i love toshiba
drinksmokefuck
lol i bought a toshiba TV, shit broke in a year, waste of 300 bucks
DoubleJ
Sh which one do you like?
drinksmokefuck
Personally, I would pick the bigger one, 3gigs of Memory is enough, and its 16 inches, mandingo aint got shit on that. But Superman is horny and he is flying around NYC. He is thinking about how bad he needs to f*ck something when he sees Wonder Woman spread eagle on a bed. He thinks "f*ck it, no one will ever know" and fly's in there and bangs her at a super speed.

Wonder Woman goes, "What the hell was that?"
The Invisible Man says "I don't know but my ***hole sure hurts."
DoubleJ
Huh lmao
superstitious
Any luck with this, Javonn?
heyo-captain-jack
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834107024
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834146582

These are both $499.99, and both ten times better than the one you chose. The lenovo is by far the better of the two, but I also stuck a laptop with more reviews in there, just in case you're a review whore.

If I remember correctly, lenovo is made by IBM, so if you get that one you've got IBM's great customer support to go along with your badass laptop.

also never buy used laptops, they crap out quickly.
mipadi
QUOTE(Buttsex @ Jul 21 2009, 10:21 PM) *
If I remember correctly, lenovo is made by IBM, so if you get that one you've got IBM's great customer support to go along with your badass laptop.

Lenovo laptops are actually made by Lenovo, believe it or not.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(mipadi @ Jul 21 2009, 10:01 PM) *
Lenovo laptops are actually made by Lenovo, believe it or not.

You're right, but I just checked and Lenovo bought the part of IBM that makes personal computers, so I was as close as I care to be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.