Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ice cream alternatives
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Food
Pages: 1, 2
hi-C
See this:

I don't normally go for fake dairy products -- like soy cheese and the like -- but this shit is the business! The best non-dairy ice cream treat I've ever had. What ice cream alternatives do you guys like? (And I know me and Clair are going to be the only ones posting in this, but I'm making it anyway.)
Maccabee
I refuse do eat anything soy because it raises your, ( I forgot what it is called. It is the opposite of testosterone.) girl hormones or whatever its called. The last thing I want are a pair of boobies.

I had a rice ice cream sandwich one time. It wasnt bad...it had a stingy taste which I liked. But for me ice cream is only good when it is made by a cow.
smash
i wanna try this. i like coconut milk so it sounds like a winner to me.
heyo-captain-jack
I had those before, they were really gross.

Try Tofutti's products.
datass
QUOTE(jcp @ Jul 9 2009, 08:13 AM) *
the last thing I want are a pair of boobies.

you already got moobs rolleyes.gif
Maccabee
QUOTE(doughnut @ Jul 8 2009, 07:40 PM) *
you already got moobs rolleyes.gif

Haha, I saw a poster in England and it was just a fat guys chest and it said moobs. I have no clue what it was advertising! laugh.gif
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(jcp @ Jul 8 2009, 08:13 PM) *
I refuse do eat anything soy because it raises your, ( I forgot what it is called. It is the opposite of testosterone.) girl hormones or whatever its called. The last thing I want are a pair of boobies.

Consuming soy does not raise your estrogen levels.

I've never had anything but ice cream and frozen yogurt, so I can't contribute anything to this topic. Wait, no, I like red bean and green bean ice cream bars, but they're kind of an Asian thing.
Simba
lol if soy products raised estrogen shouldn't asian chicks have bigger breasts

oops _unsure.gif
smash
lol @ Juna
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(ArjunaCapulong @ Jul 8 2009, 08:15 PM) *
lol if soy products raised estrogen shouldn't asian chicks have bigger breasts
oops _unsure.gif

lawljuna
hi-C
QUOTE(jcp @ Jul 8 2009, 08:13 PM) *

I had a rice ice cream sandwich one time. It wasnt bad...it had a stingy taste which I liked. But for me ice cream is only good when it is made by a cow.
Estogen. And what Cristy said.

And I think the other word you're looking for is "tangy" not "stingy."

QUOTE(Buttsex @ Jul 8 2009, 08:34 PM) *
I had those before, they were really gross.

Try Tofutti's products.
I've had Tofutti stuff (Tofutti cuties in particular), and they're really good, but the things I had today were A-MAZING. Or at least I thought so. But I've been in a real big coconut kick lately, so that's that.
karmakiller
QUOTE(jcp @ Jul 8 2009, 07:13 PM) *

laugh.gif You're the same one who said if you eat before bed it turns to fat. And it'd be cool if cows made ice-cream, but they don't. It'd also be cool if when a cow has brown milk it's chocolate.

I haven't tried products that use a dairy alternative, simply because of the price. If they would ever give out free samples where I shop, I'd try it.
superstitious
I don't know, Carrie. I'm all over soy products, even though I'm a full on diary and meat eater. I use soy milk in just about everything, and soy creamer for my coffee.

Trader Joe's has some type of soy chocolate ice cream that I really like. I don't remember the name though.

Also, I'm wondering if you could make your own non-diary ice cream. I'm sure there's recipes out there for it and ice cream machines are fairly inexpensive these days.
hi-C
I've been wanting to make my own ice cream, and we actually have an ice cream maker, but I've been too lazy to dig it out.
superstitious
Then half the battle's done, girl. Ours broke years ago. I prefer the homemade variety because that way, you know exactly what's in the mix.
Maccabee
Are you guys sure that soy doesnt raise estrogen levels?
datass
chicken and papaya does. but come on, unless you're drinking 5 gallons of soy milk everyday, you have nothing to worry about.
superstitious
There is no evidence that men who eat moderate amounts of soy experience any feminizing effects...

http://www.soymilkquick.com/shouldmenworry.php
Maccabee
QUOTE(doughnut @ Jul 9 2009, 10:02 AM) *
chicken and papaya does. but come on, unless you're drinking 5 gallons of soy milk everyday, you have nothing to worry about.

o noez! chicken? but i love chicken!!! i dont really care if eating it doesnt effect me much but i want to lower my etrogen levels! i thought eating meat would make you more of a man!
datass
yeah, estrogen is injected into chickens so they can grow larger breasts and thighs and arms. seeing that that's where people eat most, its quite useful to do so. so yeah, chicken has high level of estrogen.
illriginal
Yeaaaaa... uh.. I'll stick to my dairy products.

Though I do love coconut milk especially when mixed into boiling water for seafood pasta.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(jcp @ Jul 9 2009, 11:19 AM) *
o noez! chicken? but i love chicken!!! i dont really care if eating it doesnt effect me much but i want to lower my etrogen levels! i thought eating meat would make you more of a man!

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
karmakiller
QUOTE(jcp @ Jul 9 2009, 11:19 AM) *
yeah, it will give you nice big pecs. That's manly, right?

My only question is why are your estrogen levels high to begin with? _unsure.gif
DoubleJ
Does pinkberry count? I wonder if they have frozen yogurt at bj's
hi-C
Pinkberry is frozen yogurt, so while an ice cream alternative, it isn't non-dairy. But OMG I LOVE IT SO MUCH. Why is there no Pinkberry in DC? D=
creole
Dippin' Dots. _unsure.gif
hi-C
Dippin Dots is not a non-dairy ice cream alternative. Dippin' Dots is ice cream, period. It's dairy ice cream frozen into lil' balls.
tokyo-rose
Taiwanese shaved/shredded ice! I had it for the first time in at least half a year today. Mmm.

Haha, and those are the exact same toppings my cousin and I put on ours, minus the red beans.

I want more. :(
hi-C
Oh man, that looks crazy! What does it taste like?
smash
is that lychee gel???
Harp
looks kinda gross.
smash
so many things do. i'd have to smell it first.
Harp
looks like that just...took random foods and froze them?
smash
lol. i'd try the last one. can't touch that first one with the red beans.
Harp
yeah that last one does look kind of...intriging?
would that be the right word? _unsure.gif
Simba
QUOTE(interpretation @ Jul 10 2009, 11:18 PM) *
Taiwanese shaved/shredded ice! I had it for the first time in at least half a year today. Mmm.

Haha, and those are the exact same toppings my cousin and I put on ours, minus the red beans.

I want more. :(
ahha we got ish like this in Philippines too, halo halo

tbh not my favorite stuff but IT TASTE AUTHENTIC
Harp
like what?
smash
QUOTE(moirakas @ Jul 10 2009, 11:10 PM) *
yeah that last one does look kind of...intriging?
would that be the right word? _unsure.gif

i think there's a u in there somewhere.
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(hi-C @ Jul 10 2009, 11:39 PM) *
Oh man, that looks crazy! What does it taste like?

It tastes like the toppings that are put on it? I dunno. laugh.gif Red bean, green bean, tapioca pearls (the kind in bubble tea), and Jello.

QUOTE(moirakas @ Jul 11 2009, 12:06 AM) *
looks kinda gross.

A lot of Asian foods that look gross taste good. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Taiwanese shredded ice
iExquisite
Klondike Bar
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(iExquisite @ Jul 12 2009, 01:08 AM) *
Klondike Bar

That still contains ice cream....
datass
lol american being ignorant.

its good. but i wont eat shave ice at any random place. i mean, how do you know the water to make the ice was clean?

i really like coconut milk based desserts.
like thai coconut pudding happy.gif

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

lol @ tiny little ones on the side
smash
^ that first one looks SOOOOOOOOOOO good.
PaigeTurner
Does it taste like coconut? Where do you get these?
-DressYourEyelids-
QUOTE(hi-C @ Jul 8 2009, 06:47 PM) *
(And I know me and Clair are going to be the only ones posting in this, but I'm making it anyway.)

whoops. i guess that was my cue to come in.
those 'ice cream' bars are the best!

my top pick:
soy delicious purely decadent in rocky road flavour.

i don't consume processed sugar, so everything i get is organic making it hard to find some things... when i can get it, i do love organic lemon gelato. there's a company that makes it the way my old nonnie tonie made it. mmm :)

datass
QUOTE(PaigeTurner @ Jul 12 2009, 05:30 PM) *
Does it taste like coconut? Where do you get these?

any place with asian dessert, thai dessert, usually
fire
QUOTE(jcp @ Jul 9 2009, 10:13 AM) *
The last thing I want are a pair of boobies.

This is Bob. Bob had bitch tits.
sixfive
QUOTE(doughnut @ Jul 12 2009, 07:44 AM) *
any place with asian dessert, thai dessert, usually

oooo, u finish rit dinner, u rant desert? we have sticky coconut rice very gud
Maccabee
There was this mexican place I went to one time and the dessert was just nachos covered in condensed milk with cinamon and rasins. It was sweet. Pun intended.
superstitious
QUOTE(smash @ Jul 10 2009, 11:07 PM) *
so many things do. i'd have to smell it first.

That's so funny. I smell EVERYTHING before I eat it! hehe

Carrie, I can't remember if it's been mentioned, but have you tried any Rice Dream products?

http://www.tastethedream.com/products/rd_frozen.php
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.