Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decent image editing program for Mac OS X
Forums > Community Center > Technology > Tech Help
mipadi
What's a decent image editing program for Mac OS X? I always used Photoshop Elements 2.0 before, but PSE doesn't run under Leopard (apparently -- thanks, Adobe). I can get Photoshop CS3 at work, but I think that's overkill for what I want to do.

I found Pixelmator, which looks pretty cool. Any other suggestions?
medic
What are you looking to do? To be honest, I would just get a copy of Photoshop CS3, it does a lot of crap you might need to do some point in time.

I use it just to resize images sometimes.
Maccabee
Gimp. It works for mac. unfortunately an odd glitch it has, you have to double click, everything.
heyo-captain-jack
I would just get a copy of CS3, although Pixelmator does look pretty cool.
Maccabee
QUOTE(Buttsex @ Jul 12 2009, 11:39 PM) *
although Pixelmator does look pretty cool.

true dat
synapse
If you don't want to use up a lot of hd space (which is hardly a limit nowadays), Pixelmator and some others are pretty light, but are hard to use, and don't come with a lot to offer. If space isn't so much an issue, go with Photoshop, or Aperture.
kryogenix
mspaint
mipadi
I don't really want to install Photoshop CS3 because I use PS about 6 times a year, and PS CS3 installs a whole bunch of Adobe shit that I don't really want or need. It also doesn't "feel" like a Mac app.

QUOTE(jcp @ Jul 13 2009, 12:31 AM) *
Gimp. It works for mac. unfortunately an odd glitch it has, you have to double click, everything.

I could use The GIMP, but I'd prefer something that runs in Quartz (not X11) and fits in better on the Mac.
res8zenith
although i don't have a mac and i never will..sum of my friends end with Gimp xD its an easy system but...every systems got its flaws
mipadi
Pixelmator is actually pretty cool, so cool that I'm thinking of buying a license for it soon.
Maccabee
I thought it was free?
mipadi
No, a license costs $59.
drinksmokefuck
might be slightly underpowered, but the site itself is an image editor

http://www.pixlr.com/app/
medic
QUOTE(Buttsex @ Jul 12 2009, 10:39 PM) *
I would just get a copy of CS3, although Pixelmator does look pretty cool.

That's what I did. I got the entire CS4 suite, personally I don't want to learn how to use another photo editing software...
mipadi
I just can't go with PhotoShop again. Adobe used to make great Mac software, but now it just feels kludgy on OS X. It's feel like what it is: a bad port of a Windows program.

Besides, I had PhotoShop Element 2 before, but it doesn't work on OS X 10.5, so Adobe's kind of on my shit-list.
creole
Try Aperture demo.
mipadi
Pixelmator's actually wicked awesome, I highly recommend it.
Gigi
I just tried Pixelmator, and it's awesome! Does the basic stuff really well, good for people who don't do more advanced stuff on Photoshop. I don't need to do any hardcore vector work huddled over my Macbook anyway. I might just use this over CS3 for simple jobs because it's so light, and overall prettier than Photoshop.

Oh, also, if I have multiple documents open on Pixelmator, I can view them as separate windows when I do All Windows with Expose, even at full screen. Good when I'm switching between two documents...CS3 on Mac was TERRIBLE at that.
mipadi
Adobe likely won't support CS3 on the upcoming Snow Leopard. Time to break out those wallets and fork over another $6,000,000 to Adobe! Or just get Pixelmator, which seems to be able to do (almost) as much as Photoshop can (as far as I can tell) with less hassle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.