Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Learning to draw.
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Art
Maccabee
I really want to learn to draw/paint/create. There is something about being able to create images with depth from nothing that intrigues me. Where do I start?! I realize it comes naturally to some people. Im not one of those people. I mean I understand how to draw 3d objects but that's about it.

Thoughts?
sixfive
brooklyneast05
what do you wanna draw
sixfive
trace the pic i posted
Maccabee
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ May 6 2009, 04:00 PM) *
what do you wanna draw

Idk really.
I'd like to be able to draw really looking things. No that I wouldn't love to learn how to draw anime or manga.
kryogenix
hitler was a great artist, you should probably go check out some of his work
schizo
I personally don't find art classes very helpful. It's one of those things you learn by just observing on your own, IMO. Start with still pictures and look closely at the shapes and where the light hits. The hardest part will probably be getting past the fact that things are not necessarily shaped and colored like they're normally seen. For instance, your eye may look white, but it's technically made up of grey and pinkish colors because of shadows and such.
Maccabee
QUOTE(schizo @ May 6 2009, 05:19 PM) *
I personally don't find art classes very helpful. It's one of those things you learn by just observing on your own, IMO. Start with still pictures and look closely at the shapes and where the light hits. The hardest part will probably be getting past the fact that things are not necessarily shaped and colored like they're normally seen. For instance, your eye may look white, but it's technically made up of grey and pinkish colors because of shadows and such.

Ya i thought classes would be a bad idea. I guess ill just sit down and attempt to draw something...
brooklyneast05
my drawing classes helped me a lot. but i think it was mostly just that i was forced to do it so much, that helped more than anything. so practice is the key. critique is the second key imo. if you draw something, post it up and get advice on it. it's easier for other people to see what's off about it than for you to after you've been looking at it for a long time.

i'll give you tips.
Maccabee
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ May 6 2009, 05:43 PM) *
my drawing classes helped me a lot. but i think it was mostly just that i was forced to do it so much, that helped more than anything. so practice is the key. critique is the second key imo. if you draw something, post it up and get advice on it. it's easier for other people to see what's off about it than for you to after you've been looking at it for a long time.

i'll give you tips.

I wish i had my own scanner...
brooklyneast05
true true. well if you draw something and get a chance to scan it somewhere or take a picture of it then i'll try to give you advice.
Maccabee
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ May 6 2009, 05:58 PM) *
true true. well if you draw something and get a chance to scan it somewhere or take a picture of it then i'll try to give you advice.

Whats should I start off trying to draw?
brooklyneast05
i'd start off trying to draw objects rather than people just becasue they tend to be easier. something that you like.
livwho
I felt the same way, Joseph. I don't do much work at home because I'm not motivated. You have to really believe in what you're doing. I only get my assignments for ceramics done because my teacher is a Nazi. I've never met anyone more intense. You have to push yourself. An artist is his own worst critic which I suppose is what makes them so incredibly talented -- they're always striving for better.
Janette
Sometimes what I do, is I`ll draw something and leave it alone. And then look at it a few hours later to see if it really sucks or not. That usually helps me. laugh.gif
Like sometimes I`ll draw something and I'll think it looks great, and I'll set it down for awhile and I'll come back to it later and it doesn't look at all how I planned. So, then i fix it. Or sometimes, if I don't think it's fixable, I'll re-do it.
gojira
sketching. i used to hate sketching before creating actual piece because i thought it was a waste of time, but i found that sketching actually helps.

i was a free bird in high school, but i also never learned anything until i took one drawing course in college. finally learned how to 'shade'. also it somewhat helped me to study other peoples techniques / imitating or i guess you can say copying someone else's style.
Simba
sandy y u so helpful
datass
QUOTE(gojira @ Jun 2 2009, 11:48 PM) *
also it somewhat helped me to study other peoples techniques / imitating or i guess you can say copying someone else's style.

basically what i learned from most of my art classes. i thought it was pretty stupid at first, trying to copy someone's style. then i realized that the more you do, the more you observe, the better you are at creating something of your own, in which you could put into it different elements from different styles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.