Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DotM
Forums > News and Announcements > Feedback > Feedback Resolved Topics
Mikeplyts
So, I was recently discussing with JC on an idea for a new contest called Designer of the Month (DotM). JC mentioned an interesting point on how MotM is biased and hardly goes to designers. I also think that since LIMS (Last Icon Maker Standing) isn't really around anymore, a new desgin contest should take place. We also think that it shouldn't be like just any regular old contest, but more of a "cB" contest where the winner gets a DotM title and the winners are displayed in the Hall of Fame. Gabi, Natalia, JC, and myself are already planning out this contest and a prize was mentioned, but I said there was kind of a fault to that prize and therefore, I think this is why we should have a Designer of the Month contest for all the cB designers to participate in something they like to do. Then, the winner would get a DotM title for that month. So what are your opinions on this matter?
brooklyneast05
i like this idea, obviously. but i think there is numerous ways we could approach it. it could be decided via contest, or it could also just be like member of the month is in a way. it would be based in the resource center rather than community center. so people's contribution to those forums in the resource center would determine it.
technicolour
I love this idea but I also love JC's way as to how it would be rewarded. Those who are active, contributing, and giving tons of help should deserve it. The contest I think should be kept separate. I mean, there isn't a contest for Member of the Month now is there? rolleyes.gif
schizo
If we were going to do something like that, I think it should be more like the Member of the Month. There are some designers that don't visit the forums at all that really contribute a lot of great layouts and such (like fainaru).
technicolour
Oh. Damn. Good point. I really didn't think about that.
Mikeplyts
QUOTE(technicolour @ Apr 28 2009, 06:42 PM) *
I love this idea but I also love JC's way as to how it would be rewarded. Those who are active, contributing, and giving tons of help should deserve it. The contest I think should be kept separate. I mean, there isn't a contest for Member of the Month now is there? rolleyes.gif

Haha, well ok. _smile.gif

QUOTE(schizo @ Apr 28 2009, 06:46 PM) *
If we were going to do something like that, I think it should be more like the Member of the Month. There are some designers that don't visit the forums at all that really contribute a lot of great layouts and such (like fainaru).

True...
brooklyneast05
i agree with what gabi said. this way people like fainaru could be nominated.
Mikeplyts
But the contest itself said that the winner gets free advertising for their site, but if a person doesn't have a site then yeah...that could be a problem. So if they don't have a site, they could earn the DotM title but if they do have a site, then they would get free advertising and the DotM title would go to whomever contributed most in the RC. Idk, thoughts?
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Mikeplyts @ Apr 29 2009, 03:42 PM) *
But the contest itself said that the winner gets free advertising for their site, but if a person doesn't have a site then yeah...that could be a problem. So if they don't have a site, they could earn the DotM title but if they do have a site, then they would get free advertising and the DotM title would go to whomever contributed most in the RC. Idk, thoughts?

possibly. that's something to be decided later though too. i mean in general i think we should look at this idea apart from the contest. if design contests in the future tied into it that would be ok too, but i think it's something that should be worried about more then you know? for now i like your suggestion in general, because i think there's a need for it.
superstitious
I like the concept of having a MoTM counterpart for Design (DoTM) that's not at all based on a contest, but based on overall contribution.

MoTM gets moderating powers in VIP as part of their recognition. They also get to chanage the colors of the user groups.

I wish there was a way to give DoTM some type of a decision making reward, but I'm not sure how the staff, overall, would view that (ie queue recomendations). I'm not sure how the mechanics on that would work either.
none345678
For what you said about how the MoTM gets to choose the colors, maybe the DoTM should pick for the Official Designer and the Design Staff title colors. Idk, just a suggestion.
superstitious
That's actually a very good suggestion. :)
Mikeplyts
QUOTE(IWontRapeYou @ Apr 29 2009, 05:23 PM) *
For what you said about how the MoTM gets to choose the colors, maybe the DoTM should pick for the Official Designer and the Design Staff title colors. Idk, just a suggestion.

Yeah, that would be cool! tongue.gif I think the MotM would be okay even if they wouldn't be able to change the colors of OD and DS. :D
manny-the-dino
Ooh I really like your idea, Mike. Gabi brought up a good point as well. I didn't think about that. And I love Abbey's suggestion. TEAM WORK GAIS!

But yeah I like it. You have my vote. thumbsup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.