Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guns
Forums > Community Center > Debate
Pages: 1, 2
synatribe
So besides guns being allowed in the military, do you think guns should be allowed into regular peoples hand even if they have a license or a permit for it?

Many countries that are expected to surpass the US in a couple years do not allow guns, they only allow it for strict military reasons and defense reasons. Should US adopt this too?

Opinions welcome, Cussing someone out and bashing isnt :]
fameONE
QUOTE(synatribe @ Apr 24 2009, 09:51 AM) *
So besides guns being allowed in the military

Firearms and weapons systems are necessary tools for acheiving missions and maintaining balance in a world with dictators like KJII.

do you think guns should be allowed into regular peoples hand even if they have a license or a permit for it?

The posession of firearms should have strict regulations but it should not be illegal. Have you ever had an armed burglar break into your home? Without a firearm, how could you possibly manage to defend yourself if he became aggressive and violent?

Many countries that are expected to surpass the US in a couple years do not allow guns, they only allow it for strict military reasons and defense reasons. Should US adopt this too?

In a perfect world, firearms would not be needed for self defense and they can be used as tools for military action or for the sport of marksmanship. We do not live in a perfect world.
brooklyneast05
nah

people should be able to have guns. i think there should be strict regulation, licenses, ect ect. although, no i don't think it's "necessary" that people have like big ass machine guns or something in their house. but if they were to take away the right to own a gun, then only the criminals will have the guns. the rest of us will just be screwed. i don't like guns and i'm not big on all that, but when i have a family and what not, there'll be a gun in my house. shit happens and i'm not about to be the one without any defense.

plus, our citizens are supposed to be able to protect themselves. we're supposed to have a militia of sorts.

edit:
brandon basically beat me. what he said.
synatribe
QUOTE(WarMachine @ Apr 24 2009, 08:58 AM) *
Firearms and weapons systems are necessary tools for acheiving missions and maintaining balance in a world with dictators like KJII.

In my OP I supported the military having guns
The posession of firearms should have strict regulations but it should not be illegal. Have you ever had an armed burglar break into your home? Without a firearm, how could you possibly manage to defend yourself if he became aggressive and violent?

I think without guns there would be less break in's and burgularies, I mean guns can cause confidence, if you were expecting to break into someones house without a gun, you would have to rely on complete fighting skills. This would also allow people to go out and learn self defense skills (not really important). There would for sure be fewer house break in's from younger more aggressive people, also I would rather be attacked with a knife or a stick rather then a gun cause at least I have a chance at defending myself and in court cases, at least you cannot be tried for murder if you defend yourself without a gun, people use guns to defend themselves and eventually get tried for murder, which is even worse in my opinion.
In a perfect world, firearms would not be needed for self defense and they can be used as tools for military action or for the sport of marksmanship. We do not live in a perfect world.

Whether you have guns or not does not really define a perfect world, it could be a safer world. What if, allowing guns into the hands of the public is actually hindering us from a utopia?
fameONE
QUOTE(synatribe @ Apr 24 2009, 10:09 AM) *
I think without guns there would be less break in's and burgularies, I mean guns can cause confidence, if you were expecting to break into someones house without a gun, you would have to rely on complete fighting skills. This would also allow people to go out and learn self defense skills (not really important). There would for sure be fewer house break in's from younger more aggressive people, also I would rather be attacked with a knife or a stick rather then a gun cause at least I have a chance at defending myself and in court cases, at least you cannot be tried for murder if you defend yourself without a gun, people use guns to defend themselves and eventually get tried for murder, which is even worse in my opinion.

You can't present an argument based on facts and rely solely on your opinion to get you through the debate without any facts to back up.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm

Virtually anywhere you search, the focal point is how dangerous guns are and how many crimes were committed with the use of a firearm. When, in reality, take a look at the big picture, you'll find that many of these crimes were committed with the use of an illegally obtained weapon.

Whether you have guns or not does not really define a perfect world, it could be a safer world. What if, allowing guns into the hands of the public is actually hindering us from a utopia?

"In a perfect world..." perhaps you misunderstood me. I meant to say that there shouldn't be a need for firearms in such a capacity. Our society has far more hindering us from a utopia than the legal posession of firearms.
ley
I dont think guns are necessary for the public to have. I live in Texas where virtually everyone has guns. Im personally sick of reading the headlines where a housewife was pmsin and shot the mail man, ups guy, plumer, cable guy... thinking he was some wierd perv that was breaking in or something. Situations get out of control quickly and fire arms just add to the consequences. Though, i guess she could of just as easily stabbed him, in which case nothing i have said even matters.
Stuckie
Remember in school, when the teacher was talking about a time in our history called the Revolutionary War. If you dont, it was basically about a bunch of citizens taking up arms, and fighting what they perceived to be a tyranical government, known as Great Britain. Now, these bunch of citizens do not have a professional military, so what the do is use their own firearms and fight the British when ever they needed to. History has deemed these brave citizens as Minutemen. The name came about from the fact that they were ready to fight at any given time. If it weren't for these minutemen, we would be having tea time at noon while eating a scone; having a jolly ol' time.

Now lets say our current government does things that we as citizens do not approve of, or perceive as tyranical, we have firearms in which to defend our rights as a free nation. Taking away our weapons is taking away the second amendment, which was one of the first rights that our forefather fought to give us.

Sorry about the grammar and spelling. Gotta make it to chow.
Uronacid
QUOTE(Stuckie @ Apr 24 2009, 11:50 AM) *
Remember in school, when the teacher was talking about a time in our history called the Revolutionary War. If you dont, it was basically about a bunch of citizens taking up arms, and fighting what they perceived to be a tyranical government, known as Great Britain. Now, these bunch of citizens do not have a professional military, so what the do is use their own firearms and fight the British when ever they needed to. History has deemed these brave citizens as Minutemen. The name came about from the fact that they were ready to fight at any given time. If it weren't for these minutemen, we would be having tea time at noon while eating a scone; having a jolly ol' time.

Now lets say our current government does things that we as citizens do not approve of, or perceive as tyranical, we have firearms in which to defend our rights as a free nation. Taking away our weapons is taking away the second amendment, which was one of the first rights that our forefather fought to give us.

Sorry about the grammar and spelling. Gotta make it to chow.

I completely agree with this. We cannot loose our firearms.

QUOTE(leyvacu @ Apr 24 2009, 11:12 AM) *
I dont think guns are necessary for the public to have. I live in Texas where virtually everyone has guns. Im personally sick of reading the headlines where a housewife was pmsin and shot the mail man, ups guy, plumer, cable guy... thinking he was some wierd perv that was breaking in or something. Situations get out of control quickly and fire arms just add to the consequences. Though, i guess she could of just as easily stabbed him, in which case nothing i have said even matters.

A gun is a tool, and just like any tool can be used for good or bad. Just because some retard kills someone with his gun doesn't mean I should loose the right to own one. Joe could have killed with a wrench, knife, etc... he wanted to kill and guns didn't make him do it. You're right, if someone is out to kill they're going to kill regardless of guns being available or not.
illriginal
Very much so. We live in a country in which totalitarianism wants to take over. Our founding fathers have made this clear, and Bush sr. + Bush jr. proved it.

Anyways as long as the NRA exists, the government will not get in the way directly. Instead they will indirectly take our guns away, how? By chipping away on the ways to legally own guns. Such as insurance hikes, taxation on guns, taxation on bullets, etc...
BOSS
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 24 2009, 09:28 AM) *
I completely agree with this. We cannot loose our firearms.

I agree, all firearms must be tight as f*ck
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(synatribe @ Apr 24 2009, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(WarMachine @ Apr 24 2009, 09:51 AM) *
You can't present an argument based on facts and rely solely on your opinion to get you through the debate without any facts to back up.

for real.

there's no reason whatsoever to think that making guns illegal will mean that guns in the hands of criminals will just disappear. drugs are illegal, and we can clearly see that saying "drugs are illegal!" hasn't stopped people from having them. it will be the same thing. making guns illegal will prevent the responsible firearm owners from having a gun, and the people we don't want to have guns will still have them.

i agree that it will probably stop some armed robbery and what not by some "young aggressive people", but at what cost?

illriginal
man lol... I can't wait til the day comes, some little motherf*cker comes to my front door askin for my guns... I'm gonna put some hot ass led into his pussy f*ckin face and then piss on his bloody, dead, bitch ass.
Stuckie
^All that aint even necessary
ToxicTaco
There should be restrictions on what caliber and where you can have it. Assault rifles should be banned outside of the military
illriginal
QUOTE(ToxicTaco @ Apr 25 2009, 01:29 PM) *
There should be restrictions on what caliber and where you can have it. Assault rifles should be banned outside of the military

Kill yourself. I have over $13,000 in Assault rifles and ammunition.
ley
QUOTE(illriginal @ Apr 25 2009, 12:50 PM) *
Kill yourself. I have over $13,000 in Assault rifles and ammunition.

^perfect example of why people think guns should be illegal in the first place.
illriginal
QUOTE(leyvacu @ Apr 25 2009, 02:14 PM) *
^perfect example of why people think guns should be illegal in the first place.

Yes, because I'm gonna go on killin spree rolleyes.gif
Gigi
Okay I will admit I didn't read everything in this topic (no time, this is a fly-by post), but here's my two cents:

My argument isn't based on how eliminating guns will eliminate guns for criminals (which is illogical anyway). It involves possessing guns in the first place - every year there are thousands of people who are accidentally killed by guns in the hands of ordinary, everyday people. The truth is that most people don't know how to handle a gun (thus all these accidents), and even more people don't know how to store/hide the gun in a safe place (thus having a large number of these accidents involve children). So the benefit of being able to protect yourself is very plausibly being offset by the costs of accidental deaths.

Also, what makes you think that owning a gun makes you safer? It's hard to know how you'll react in a high-pressure situation, and having that gun may actually prove to be worthless if you don't have the proper training (i.e. police-level training) for handling guns...your reflexes slow down, your vision becomes focused on a target and you could even hurt other people accidentally. The element of shock will always be a hindrance to your protection, even if you have a gun to "protect" yourself.

Which is why I would definitely advocate for stricter regulations on guns. Proper knowledge of gun safety, how to handle a gun, training in high-pressure situations, proper storage of a gun...There's no doubt that having a gun, given that you know how to use it effectively, will protect you. But without all the regulations I mentioned, having a gun would be completely useless and potentially dangerous.
illriginal
QUOTE(Gigi @ Apr 25 2009, 04:07 PM) *
Which is why I would definitely advocate for stricter regulations on guns. Proper knowledge of gun safety, how to handle a gun, training in high-pressure situations, proper storage of a gun...There's no doubt that having a gun, given that you know how to use it effectively, will protect you. But without all the regulations I mentioned, having a gun would be completely useless and potentially dangerous.

No offense, by any means, but take a course in conceal weapons. What you're sayin is nothing new, there's many different laws for different scenarios, and as a gun owner, I know them like the back of my hand. I would hope those who have a permit, since they passed the test, would abide by the law of the land.
dosomethin888
People kill people. And if they dont have guns to do it, they will obtain some other weapon to do it. Ya, I think there should be strict regulations on it but I think guns are necessary, especially for self defense. If you take guns away from ordinary people, the criminals will still be able to get them illegally.
ToxicTaco
"If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words"

Safety First, Laws and Regs next
kryogenix
QUOTE(Gigi @ Apr 25 2009, 04:07 PM) *
Okay I will admit I didn't read everything in this topic (no time, this is a fly-by post), but here's my two cents:

My argument isn't based on how eliminating guns will eliminate guns for criminals (which is illogical anyway). It involves possessing guns in the first place - every year there are thousands of people who are accidentally killed by guns in the hands of ordinary, everyday people. The truth is that most people don't know how to handle a gun (thus all these accidents), and even more people don't know how to store/hide the gun in a safe place (thus having a large number of these accidents involve children). So the benefit of being able to protect yourself is very plausibly being offset by the costs of accidental deaths.

Do you know how many automobile accidents occur? Far more than firearms related accidents. Should we ban cars?

Also, what makes you think that owning a gun makes you safer? It's hard to know how you'll react in a high-pressure situation, and having that gun may actually prove to be worthless if you don't have the proper training (i.e. police-level training) for handling guns...your reflexes slow down, your vision becomes focused on a target and you could even hurt other people accidentally. The element of shock will always be a hindrance to your protection, even if you have a gun to "protect" yourself.

Yes... but how can you train when you're not allowed to own the guns in the first place?

But with all the regulations you mentioned, it's nearly impossible to own and operate a gun...
Uronacid
Guns start with G... Good starts with G.... Guns ends with S... Safe starts with S... coincidence, I think not. You need to own more than one to be safe, and being safe is good.
illriginal
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 28 2009, 04:06 PM) *
Guns start with G... Good starts with G.... coincidence, I think not.

wacko.gif
Uronacid
QUOTE(illriginal @ Apr 28 2009, 04:07 PM) *
wacko.gif

I just applied for my pistol permit. I think I'm going to buy a semi-auto sub-machine gun next. Its for protection. The way I figure, if I want to buy a gun to protect myself then I'll buy one that was built to kill people.
illriginal
Exactly!

I'll admit that I totally neglected handguns and went straight for assault rifles. Now I want a submachine gun lol.
Uronacid
QUOTE(illriginal @ Apr 28 2009, 04:20 PM) *
Exactly!

I'll admit that I totally neglected handguns and went straight for assault rifles. Now I want a submachine gun lol.

They have a decent amount of power and they're compact for close quarters. :)
illriginal
I just wanna make sure my target goes down within one shot lol
Stuckie
M4 with a M203 and M26 MASS attatchment. I dont need a damn 68 either. Good ol' iron sight. "One shot, one kill."
Uronacid
QUOTE(Stuckie @ Apr 29 2009, 11:31 AM) *
M4 with a M203 and M26 MASS attatchment. I dont need a damn 68 either. Good ol' iron sight. "One shot, one kill."

Can you buy them?
illriginal
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 29 2009, 04:41 PM) *
Can you buy them?

Gun & Knife Shows wink.gif
fameONE
QUOTE(Stuckie @ Apr 29 2009, 11:31 AM) *

Soldiers are Marine swaggerjackers. tongue.gif

Nah, but for real, you don't have ACOG? Iron sights only do well if the weather isn't shitty. Have you experienced one of those notorious sandstorms? Has the haze of moondust covered the city yet? Shit is crazy, son. Its like an orange fog is consuming everything.
ToxicTaco
I'm moving to some war-neutral country where guns aren't a problem like Canada or Switzerland. We have other ways to kill people besides guns, we can't stop people from killing people with poisons and other stuff; banning guns is just going to be redundant.
fameONE
QUOTE(ToxicTaco @ Apr 30 2009, 12:18 PM) *
I'm moving to some war-neutral country where guns aren't a problem like Canada or Switzerland. We have other ways to kill people besides guns, we can't stop people from killing people with poisons and other stuff; banning guns is just going to be redundant.

Kontroll
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 29 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Can you buy them?

In the Matrix.
fameONE
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 29 2009, 04:41 PM) *
Can you buy them?

You can buy a carbon 15 that serves as an M4 replica (minus the triple shot burst). The 203 attachment, on the other hand; no. It isn't legal to run around with an assault rifle that launches 40mm grenades.
illriginal
QUOTE(WarMachine @ Apr 30 2009, 02:35 PM) *
The 203 attachment, on the other hand; no. It isn't legal to run around with an assault rifle that launches 40mm grenades.

ROFLMAO

Yes guys.. we're allowed to have grenade launchers (or at least similar to such).

Now I'm in the mood to play some SOCOM.
fameONE
QUOTE(illriginal @ Apr 30 2009, 03:01 PM) *
Now I'm in the mood to play some SOCOM.

GOFORIT.

Go kill shit.
Stuckie
QUOTE(WarMachine @ Apr 30 2009, 08:27 AM) *
Soldiers are Marine swaggerjackers. tongue.gif

Nah, but for real, you don't have ACOG? Iron sights only do well if the weather isn't shitty. Have you experienced one of those notorious sandstorms? Has the haze of moondust covered the city yet? Shit is crazy, son. Its like an orange fog is consuming everything.

I have one but I never use it. I want just one confirmed kill. cry.gif

Our whole AO is in a hole. If the wind kicks up too much, its hell. I got lost going to the DFAC one time.

QUOTE(ToxicTaco @ Apr 30 2009, 10:18 AM) *

That post was redundant. You're ate up like a football bat. rolleyes.gif
twisterdp
Guns should not be allowed for common people, not any one besides Police & Military but... for todays environment... no comments
Uronacid
QUOTE(twisterdp @ Jun 6 2009, 11:42 AM) *
Guns should not be allowed for common people, not any one besides Police & Military but... for todays environment... no comments

I'm so confused by what you're saying here... *sigh* This post is borderline spam.

Anyway, you do realize that the only reason we're even remotely free in America today is because our fore fathers illegally harbored guns and fought the British? That's why our second amendment exists. To keep us free.
emberfly
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 24 2009, 09:03 AM) *
nah

people should be able to have guns. i think there should be strict regulation, licenses, ect ect. although, no i don't think it's "necessary" that people have like big ass machine guns or something in their house. but if they were to take away the right to own a gun, then only the criminals will have the guns. the rest of us will just be screwed. i don't like guns and i'm not big on all that, but when i have a family and what not, there'll be a gun in my house. shit happens and i'm not about to be the one without any defense.

plus, our citizens are supposed to be able to protect themselves. we're supposed to have a militia of sorts.

I agree. Guns should definitely be allowed, but I think they should be limited to those that are willing to prove that they know how to handle them and be careful with them (licenses).
sixfive
Dang I was gonna quote JC too but that post was a WHILE ago. Iono if people know this, but you can just go and buy a gun if you want to. I think you have to be 21? I don't know. Anyway, the only license you need is for a CONCEALED weapon. If you have a shotgun and you're driving it around, as long as it's not hidden it's legal to just have it with you.

Related to self defense at say, your house worrying about a robbery or something. You have say, two choices, a pistol or a shotgun. What would you choose? I would pick a shotgun tbh. Get broken into at night time, way easier to just generally aim the shotgun than point a pistol and worry about missing. Plus, when you cock the shotgun, if I were robbing someone that would scare the shit out of me and I'd probably high tail it out of there. Anyway, if you have a shotgun, good luck concealing that shit, no license needed, protection attained, fun at shooting ranges optional, etc :]
Stuckie
QUOTE(twisterdp @ Jun 6 2009, 09:42 AM) *

Are you American? blink.gif

QUOTE(Second Amendment)
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
synatribe
I just made this topic after this http://www.bowlingforcolumbine.com/

so yea :] it is a good movie :]
RoyalSwagger
I've heard far to many stories about children finding their parents guns only leading them to accidently shooting themselves or a friend... No I dont think guns are needed...

brooklyneast05
QUOTE(RoyalSwagger @ Jun 11 2009, 08:30 PM) *
I've heard far to many stories about children finding their parents guns only leading them to accidently shooting themselves or a friend... No I dont think guns are needed...

did you even read this thread before you replied?

and why should everyone have their guns taken away because some parents are too irresponsible to lock their guns up?
Uronacid
QUOTE(synatribe @ Jun 9 2009, 12:50 AM) *
I just made this topic after this http://www.bowlingforcolumbine.com/

so yea :] it is a good movie :]

That is a ridiculous and obnoxious movie.

QUOTE(RoyalSwagger @ Jun 11 2009, 09:30 PM) *

You're just another feel good idiot.
creole
should we have guns?
should we have nuclear bombs? huh?
Mikeplyts
^ i dont quite know the answer to that, but i gotta say, yo sig is crackin me up mang. XD.gif

But to answer, I'll guess I'll say yes. We need to have protection if the po-po don't show up. But at the same time, no, since it could get the youngins involved in some serious shit. Idk, I'm kinda torn on it. mellow.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.