Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help critique my website
Forums > Resource Center > Designers' Café
mipadi
After about 4 years of telling myself I would redesign my website, I finally got around to doing it. But before I go live, I'd like some feedback:

Here's the front page of my site. (Note that the logo in the top left will eventually have the words "Monkey Robot" in the space next to the monkey's tail, but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.)

click to enlarge

Here's the pagination stuff at the bottom:

click to enlarge

Here's the comments on blog entries:

click to enlarge

Here's the listing on the archives page:

click to enlarge

Here's an example of what hyperlinks look like when you hover over them:

click to enlarge

Any suggestions?
mipadi
QUOTE(A1Bassline @ Apr 9 2009, 09:57 PM) *
But it looks like the left side is missing something. You should try adding something more there.

Yeah... I don't really know what to put there, though. Any ideas?
mipadi
QUOTE(A1Bassline @ Apr 9 2009, 10:06 PM) *
Maybe a Twitter hanging from the monkey's tail?

Like, a Twitter feed? I don't use Twitter, personally.
1angel3
Maybe you can put a music player there or a rotation of pictures of you and your friends.
Mickey
I quite like its practicality. Have you thought about incorporating a background?
mipadi
QUOTE(Mike @ Apr 11 2009, 08:02 AM) *
Have you thought about incorporating a background?

I've considered it -- either a solid color of some sort, or maybe a "delicate" speckling or gradient or something, but I haven't looked into the idea really closely.

Any background would have to be minimalist -- one of the goals of the design of my blog has always been to highlight the content of the site (i.e., my writing).
Maccabee
hmmm...a nice subtle texture might work but I dont think it would go witht the rest of the site. I think if your gonna use a background just use a solid color.

EEF2F7?

O nmv. I see your using that in the headers.
Mikeplyts
Nice re-design! thumbsup.gif

I agree with the gradient background thing. I'm kind of out ideas right now so maybe I'll post some later. Good job though. :)
Maccabee
Fixed or scroll? I would say scroll. Fixed backgrounds are pretty unprofessional.
Mikeplyts
You can also check out Brandon's CSS.
mipadi
Thanks. I'll continue to tweak the layout a bit, but for now, I went ahead and made it live.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.