Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ugly Websites
Forums > Resource Center > Designers' Café
GunsNRachel
Is it just me, or are there quite a few horrendously ugly websites that are on the more well known side? Seriously, this for example. Could they photoshop her face a little more? Or get the bottle a little more jagged on the edges? Barf.

So I'm curious, what do you think are some professional or well known websites with some not-so-great layouts?
schizo
I don't think that site is that bad, especially since it's just a simple one page deal for someone who doesn't need people to visit her website to get attention. Yeah, the edges are a little jagged in some places, but I actually don't think I would have noticed if you didn't point it out. shrug.gif
karmakiller
I've seen worse.

I might link some later... since I don't bookmark crappy site or anything, haha.

One thing that bugs me is when the site is made for 'regular' computer screen (I have a wide screen) and it looks really awkward and smushed to the left.
1angel3
I've seen a lot worse too.

The website's layout isn't ugly. I've seen sites with not so appealing layouts but was popular because they had amazing content. I've seen sites with a good layout with not-so-interesting content and that's why they're not popular. What I'm trying to say is, a ugly layout doesn't make a site bad. If they're getting a decent amount of hits then they must have decent content.

I'm honestly tired of seeing these popular sites that may have a pretty layout and copies everyone else style and have a site full of nothing to offer new.
creole
Like people said, I've seen websites with an ugly background color/picture, and just text. Not organized. Yuck. I've seen worse..
manny-the-dino
QUOTE(schizo @ Mar 12 2009, 01:52 PM) *
I don't think that site is that bad, especially since it's just a simple one page deal for someone who doesn't need people to visit her website to get attention. Yeah, the edges are a little jagged in some places, but I actually don't think I would have noticed if you didn't point it out. shrug.gif

Totally agree. I mean it's not that big of a deal. *shrug

I've seen some worse ones though. I'll try & find them.
Maccabee
my school has the worst website ever.
Tables and a puke yellow background. Im dying to change it for them.
Its a small school so I might ask. And I have made websites for some people that work there so that helps.
Gigi
Zappos is pretty gross. You'd think for a big online shoe retailer their site would be nicer. At least sleeker. At least USER FRIENDLY.

Okay people might find it user friendly but I don't think it is simply because it strains my eyes to look at the site.
schizo
^That site is HORRIBLE. I remember I wanted to buy some shoes I found on there when I was twelve and I had to ask my dad if it would be safe. I thought it was a shady Russian knockoff site or something.
technicolour
QUOTE(jcp @ Mar 12 2009, 09:32 PM) *
my school has the worst website ever.
Tables and a puke yellow background. Im dying to change it for them.
Its a small school so I might ask. And I have made websites for some people that work there so that helps.

Aw man. Our Counselor's Web Page @ my high school was one BIG ASS TABLE. No joke. With this horrendous cloudy background. It was DISGUSTING.

Thankfully they changed it. Still looks like shit though. I swear, it's like the fell asleep at their computers with FrontPage open and that's what they upload. It's awful. Who the hell uses Frontpage anymore anyways?!
Maccabee
Lol. Its worse when something isnt a big table but like lots of little cells with borders and a bunch of random codes they found "web design learning" websites! lol
technicolour
QUOTE(jcp @ Mar 12 2009, 11:12 PM) *
Lol. Its worse when something isnt a big table but like lots of little cells with borders and a bunch of random codes they found "web design learning" websites! lol

Oh no. That's what it was. It was a big ass table with all these stupid little cells that had phone numbers, testing dates, etc in them. And then, at the very bottom there was a ' < ' and that was a hyperlink to some shitty webdesign site. It was seriously hilarious and disgustingly ugly (the layout).
Maccabee
o crappy sites...when will you lear how crappy you are? Let an asian/nerdy white boy like me customize your css! It's for the better.
fixtatik
haha, bad sites...my old school's news site is horrendous. salemgene ralsne ws.com (no spaces, i just don't want it showing up in search engines and having them see me bashing it.)
Maccabee
That news page...why do they use those awful textures...
fixtatik
you meant, "why did they make that awful site," right?
Firiath
QUOTE(fixtatik @ Mar 14 2009, 10:37 PM) *
haha, bad sites...my old school's news site is horrendous. salemgene ralsne ws.com (no spaces, i just don't want it showing up in search engines and having them see me bashing it.)

Ew.
Just plain ew.
xDDDDD
I'm so happy my school website actually looks nice
It just takes forever to load ._.
HeartOfPandora
My web design teacher still wants us to use frames. She says they're useful for stuff, but can't think of what for...

/kills self
funride
Okay, so my Social Studies teacher who is like 70 (no joke). Runs these websites that he tells his students to go on and the layout are so ugly!
www.historyclassroom.com
www.dpeel.com
Tomates
QUOTE(schizo @ Mar 12 2009, 11:33 PM) *
^That site is HORRIBLE. I remember I wanted to buy some shoes I found on there when I was twelve and I had to ask my dad if it would be safe. I thought it was a shady Russian knockoff site or something.

I like zappos. They are cheap and the package for me came in 2 days.
schizo
^Well yeah, I like the actual business, it's just the design of the site is terrible.
emberfly
QUOTE(fixtatik @ Mar 14 2009, 09:37 AM) *

sick.gif
gojira
QUOTE(Gigi @ Mar 12 2009, 11:19 PM) *
Zappos is pretty gross. You'd think for a big online shoe retailer their site would be nicer. At least sleeker. At least USER FRIENDLY.

Okay people might find it user friendly but I don't think it is simply because it strains my eyes to look at the site.

agree but zappos is pretty awesome with free shipping/returns. i had to return shoes four times because i didn't know my size.

ALSO if anybody watched that segment on oprah about zappos guy... he is pretty awesome for a millionaire. he is all about customer service and looks for employers who believe in the same concept and he has his cubicle next to all his employees, instead of his own office.
emberfly
^ :O awesome. If only all businesses were focused on customer service :O

shakeene
QUOTE(avrillover1 @ Mar 14 2009, 07:12 PM) *
Okay, so my Social Studies teacher who is like 70 (no joke). Runs these websites that he tells his students to go on and the layout are so ugly!
www.historyclassroom.com
www.dpeel.com

i really don't like Mr.Peel one bit...bah!

i hate the sites that still look like we are in the late 90's, is it that hard to update the look of your website, geeze c'mon people!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.