Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is chess really a sport?
Forums > Community Center > Debate
Pages: 1, 2
creole
Does Chess really exercise your brain to the extent?
I think chess is a sport, since you're competing against others if you're in a tournament.
Comptine
Is playing the piano a sport than? There's piano competitions where you go against other players.
brooklyneast05
chess isn't a sport. it's a board game. you need physical activity for sports imo.
creole
wait, then moving pieces don't count as physical activity?
brooklyneast05
no, moving a piece isn't athletic physical activity just like blinking or sitting up in your chair isn't physical activity in regards to sports.
creole
Well, International Olympic Committee recognizes Chess as a sport, by facts.
Info
Maccabee
My granddad is an AMAZING chess player!
Just thought id add that... haha
sixfive
QUOTE(JosephCohen123 @ Feb 22 2009, 04:43 PM) *
My granddad is an AMAZING chess player!
Just thought id add that... haha

does your granddad also tan in ovens?
brooklyneast05
the IOC is silly if you ask me. chess can be a sport but rugby can't? i don't know, just saying what the IOC picks doesn't personally make sense to me. there's lots of things that are sports and even considered sports that don't get to be in the olymipics. i think they are taking/took out softball. chess just wants to be an olympic sport so it can get more exposure

this reasoning is the same as mine and probably most people who actually play sports
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_chess_a_game_or_sport

i don't know anyone personally who plays real sports that would say that a board game is really a SPORT. usually just non athletic people try to claim that and pretend like it's a sport imo. chess takes skill, but it doesn't take athletic skill.
BOSS
Chess is not a sport, if you think moving a chess piece is "physical activity" a snail could probably out run you
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(BOSS @ Feb 22 2009, 07:29 PM) *
Chess is not a sport, if you think moving a chess piece is "physical activity" a snail could probably out run you

exactly
shoryuken
speakkeenn cheezz...

who wanna go 1V1 princc YAHOO chess..._smile.gif

PM moi or telll moii hur..
illriginal
It's a sport of the mind, me thinks.
shoryuken
1V1 PRINCEE

YAHOO CHESS

ANY TAKKURR...:)

Stuckie
Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Though Chess isnt a physical sport, it still is a sport by definition.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Stuckie @ Mar 21 2009, 07:41 AM) *
Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Though Chess isnt a physical sport, it still is a sport by definition.

that could just as easily be a "game"

it's all dependent on where you get your definition though. some definitions of sport require physical activity and some don't. so it's a sport by one definition and it's not one by another.

Stuckie
Well somebody with some pull must have read the definition I found (Wikipedia), because they're calling it a sport. shrug.gif
BOSS
QUOTE(Stuckie @ Mar 22 2009, 02:34 AM) *
Well somebody with some pull must have read the definition I found (Wikipedia), because they're calling it a sport. shrug.gif

wikipedia also said i f*cked jessica alba too
fire
Liar, I just checked.
Stuckie
^You must be hooked on phonics or something stubborn.gif
QUOTE(Wikipedia on Sports)
Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determinant of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

QUOTE(Wikipedia on Chess)
Chess today is a recognized sport of the International Olympic Committee.

I win. You lose. tongue.gif
brooklyneast05

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Mar 21 2009, 09:05 AM) *

it's all dependent on where you get your definition though. some definitions of sport require physical activity and some don't. so it's a sport by one definition and it's not one by another.

Stuckie
I know it depends on what definition you look at, but according to the all powerful deciders of what-is-and-whats-not-a-sport(How the f*ck they came about is beyond me) decided it was a sport. Personally, I think sports should have some kind of physical activity. Not physically moving the pieces on the board. But what is, is. Chess is a sport.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Stuckie @ Mar 22 2009, 09:08 AM) *
but according to the all powerful deciders of what-is-and-whats-not-a-sport

who? are you still talking about wikipedia?
Stuckie
No. The International Olympic Committee.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Feb 22 2009, 05:52 PM) *
the IOC is silly if you ask me. chess can be a sport but rugby can't? i don't know, just saying what the IOC picks doesn't personally make sense to me. there's lots of things that are sports and even considered sports that don't get to be in the olymipics. i think they are taking/took out softball. chess just wants to be an olympic sport so it can get more exposure

this reasoning is the same as mine and probably most people who actually play sports
i don't know anyone personally who plays real sports that would say that a board game is really a SPORT. usually just non athletic people try to claim that and pretend like it's a sport imo. chess takes skill, but it doesn't take athletic skill.

i still don't think being olympic is the determining factor because there's many "real" sports that aren't in the olympics.

but it's whatever cause i'll never ever be convinced that this is a sport regardless of who claims it is. when they start sprinting down a field and jumping hurdles between each play then maybe it can be a sport in my book.
Stuckie
QUOTE(Stuckie @ Mar 22 2009, 08:08 AM) *
Personally, I think sports should have some kind of physical activity. Not physically moving the pieces on the board. But what is, is. Chess is a sport.

Maybe if the timer was 40 yards away, then it can be a physical sport and not just a mind sport. tongue.gif
BOSS
wait, you insult my intelligence and your the one who thinks Chess is a sport? Let me ask you this genius, if you are right, there is a possibility that the best ATHLETE in sports could be 300 pounds overweight, correct?
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(BOSS @ Mar 23 2009, 08:12 PM) *
wait, you insult my intelligence and your the one who thinks Chess is a sport? Let me ask you this genius, if you are right, there is a possibility that the best ATHLETE in sports could be 300 pounds overweight, correct?

loool.gif

seriously, this is just so ridiculous to me that people think it's a sport.
creole
kevin, im 300 pounds overweight <3
BOSS
QUOTE(fire @ Mar 22 2009, 04:25 AM) *
Liar, I just checked.

Lol well, theres a good reason why im IP banned on wikipedia
Stuckie
QUOTE(BOSS @ Mar 23 2009, 07:12 PM) *

No. Its impossible for a 300 pound overweight guy to be the best athlete in sports. He can be the best chess player. Since chess is a sport, that makes him an athlete.

Since your going off opinion, you dont see that the facts are that Chess is a sport. I personally dont think chess should be considered a sport, but it is a sport. Debates aren't won by opinions. They're won by stating facts. Which is why I kept my feelings and my opinions to myself, and stated only facts.
BOSS
are you listening to yourself right now, you just said chess players are athletes. My opinion how can i state an opinion when i asked you a quesion. lol, what facts? shit from wikipedia? damn thats real credible. lmao@ debates won by facts, what happens when the topic of debate is morality?
Stuckie
^Click here for a non-wikipedia, credible site

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Feb 22 2009, 04:52 PM) *
the IOC is silly if you ask me. chess can be a sport but rugby can't? i don't know, just saying what the IOC picks doesn't personally make sense to me. there's lots of things that are sports and even considered sports that don't get to be in the olymipics. i think they are taking/took out softball.

You should look at the link too.

Rugby, as well as chess and softball, aren't olympic sports, but they're recognized by the IOC as sports because their statutes, practice and activities conform with the Olympic Charter.

This link has a list of a few games that were Olympic Games in the past. Rugby is among them.
brooklyneast05
ok but this is a debate about whether chess is REALLY a sport according to the title. it's not a debate about whether or not the IOC recognizes it as one, because there's nothing to debate there, it does. not everyone shares your view that the IOC is god and the determining factor of what is and what isn't a sport with some kind of supreme final say in it though.

"is chess really a sport?"
"does chess really exercise your brain to the extent?"

those are the questions asks, so how are you going to jump on people for giving an opinion when those are the questions? it cracks me up how you're acting like you're such a good debater because you kept your opinion to yourself and your entire defense of whether it's really a sport is because the IOC said so.

chess still doesn't even meet the definition of a sport according to a lot of definitions though, so i'm not convinced. i don't care if they got listed by the IOC. it's not like there wasn't major incentive for the IOC to list something with so many participants. it's not like it wasn't in their favor to do so. but there's not much for us to debate with you about as long as you think the IOC is the be all and end all in the world of sports.

lol @ them listing live saving as a sport? wth
fire
QUOTE(BOSS @ Mar 24 2009, 12:12 PM) *

BITCH SLAP!
sixfive
QUOTE(Stuckie @ Mar 24 2009, 01:28 AM) *
No. Its impossible for a 300 pound overweight guy to be the best athlete in sports. He can be the best chess player. Since chess is a sport, that makes him an athlete.

Since your going off opinion, you dont see that the facts are that Chess is a sport. I personally dont think chess should be considered a sport, but it is a sport. Debates aren't won by opinions. They're won by stating facts. Which is why I kept my feelings and my opinions to myself, and stated only facts.

Sup broseph.

QUOTE(dictionary.com)
Sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Okay there's a fact. Is it considered athletic activity to move a few pieces around? By that logic, eating is a sport. Is the hotdog eating contest a sporting event? Oh wait, you move around when you sleep, is that a sport? Is breathing a sport? See where I'm going with this?

Also, you say it's impossible for a "300 pound overweight guy to be the best athlete in sports," then you go and say that since chess is a sport, that makes him an athlete. Hmm?

By the way:
"you dont see that the facts are that Chess is a sport" Lol? You imply that there are multiple facts. Aside from your statement that "Chess is a sport," what else is there? Should it be "you don't see the fact that chess is a sport."?
Its is possessive; It's is a contraction.
your = possessive; you're = contraction.
Uronacid
I don't think that sports have to be athletic at all. There are many definitions surrounding the word "sport". While one definition doesn't fit another does. We all realize chess is hardly athletic, however it is recreational, a diversion from life around you, and for some a pleasant pastime activity.

QUOTE("Dictionary.com")
sport
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

By definition, chess can be considered a sport. Yes, even 300lb champion chess players.
Uronacid
I don't think that sports have to be athletic at all. There are many definitions surrounding the word "sport". While one definition doesn't fit another does. We all realize chess is hardly athletic, however it is recreational, a diversion from life around you, and for some a pleasant pastime activity.

QUOTE("Dictionary.com")
sport
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

By definition, chess can be considered a sport. Yes, even 300lb champion chess players, but would that 300lb chess player be considered an athlete. No.

QUOTE("Dictionary.com")
athlete
1. a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

Given the word sport has multiple definitions. It can be taken out of context. Even though sport is in the definition of the word athlete, the rest of the definition implies some form of strenuous physical activity. It's pretty clear, the word sport within the definition of athlete is being used in the context of being "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature".

Chess players are participating in a sport when they play, however I wouldn't consider them athletes.
Stuckie
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Mar 24 2009, 05:23 AM) *
ok but this is a debate about whether chess is REALLY a sport according to the title. it's not a debate about whether or not the IOC recognizes it as one, because there's nothing to debate there, it does. not everyone shares your view that the IOC is god and the determining factor of what is and what isn't a sport with some kind of supreme final say in it though.

"is chess really a sport?"
"does chess really exercise your brain to the extent?"

those are the questions asks, so how are you going to jump on people for giving an opinion when those are the questions? it cracks me up how you're acting like you're such a good debater because you kept your opinion to yourself and your entire defense of whether it's really a sport is because the IOC said so.

chess still doesn't even meet the definition of a sport according to a lot of definitions though, so i'm not convinced. i don't care if they got listed by the IOC. it's not like there wasn't major incentive for the IOC to list something with so many participants. it's not like it wasn't in their favor to do so. but there's not much for us to debate with you about as long as you think the IOC is the be all and end all in the world of sports.
lol @ them listing live saving as a sport? wth

I gave several sources in reference to chess. I used wikipedia, which you said was not a credible reference. I used the IOC website, which recognized chess as a sport. But you dont care for what the IOC see as a sport. If you read more about the site the International Sports Federation (IFs) administered chess to IOC as a sport. So I used three sources: Wikipedia, the IOC, and IFs. Which all said the same thing.

But you, who doesn't approve of the refernces, hasn't shown me anything thats says different. What cracks me up is how you expect me to understand your point of view with no kind of credible source... scratch that, any source. So I guess I am a good debater. I've shown sites that confirm what I said. You, on the other hand, have not. Before you criticize my sources, show your own.
Joanne
QUOTE(Stuckie @ Mar 23 2009, 11:28 PM) *
Oh look, I can copy and past definitions too!
Debate:
talk or argue about something: to talk about something at length and in detail, especially as part of a formal exchange of opinion
(source: Encarta Dictionary)

Anyway, JC and a lot of the people here have already acknowledged the fact that the IOC states that chess is a sport. What they are debating is that it shouldn't be considered one (you would know if you read the rest of this thread). Yes, it's their opinion and they haven't copied and pasted straight up facts from official manuals or whatever, but they've given the facts that chess does not involve real physical activity and that chess players cannot be considered athletes.

If debates can only be done by throwing out official facts, what's the point? Like I copied and pasted above, debates are the exchange of opinions and defending those beliefs. Facts can be used to support your opinions, but seriously... what good is it to have a debate full of "BUT SO-AND-SO SAID SO!"
Stuckie
QUOTE(Joanne @ Mar 24 2009, 12:02 PM) *
Anyway, JC and a lot of the people here have already acknowledged the fact that the IOC states that chess is a sport. What they are debating is that it shouldn't be considered one (you would know if you read the rest of this thread). Yes, it's their opinion and they haven't copied and pasted straight up facts from official manuals or whatever, but they've given the facts that chess does not involve real physical activity and that chess players cannot be considered athletes.

If debates can only be done by throwing out official facts, what's the point? Like I copied and pasted above, debates are the exchange of opinions and defending those beliefs. Facts can be used to support your opinions, but seriously... what good is it to have a debate full of "BUT SO-AND-SO SAID SO!"

Everybody knows Chess isn't physicaly demanding, so no one needs to give facts to support that.

You are right. Debates are about exchanging opinions and defending your beliefs, but no one did that. All I heard was, "Wikipedia is not credible" or "The IOC isn't law of sports". They exchanged opinions, but didnt defend them. My opinion is Chess is a sport. And I found facts that support them. But everyone criticized them, which is another opinion, and didnt defend them. So by the definition you found, Im the only one debating.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Stuckie @ Mar 24 2009, 12:43 PM) *
I gave several sources in reference to chess. I used wikipedia, which you said was not a credible reference.

i never said it wasn't a credible source, i never said anything about wikipedia.

I used the IOC website, which recognized chess as a sport. But you dont care for what the IOC see as a sport. If you read more about the site the International Sports Federation (IFs) administered chess to IOC as a sport. So I used three sources: Wikipedia, the IOC, and IFs. Which all said the same thing.

who cares how many sources you used? i never said you weren't using real sources or that you didn't use any. you're bitching at the wrong person. i said that i don't personally give a shit what the IOC says because i don't think they are the god of sports and it doesn't mean anything to me. because like i've said the question of the debate isn't "does the IOC consider chess a sport" it's "is chess really a sport." like joanne said, the point of the debate (at least as i understand it) is whether chess should or shouldn't be considered a sport. for some reason though, you can't understand that whether the IOC says it's a sport isn't all that relevant to those of us disagreeing. we're disagreeing with whether it should be, not whether it is considered one.

But you, who doesn't approve of the refernces, hasn't shown me anything thats says different.

what do you want me to provide? i've provided a definition which fit what I base my opinion off of.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Feb 22 2009, 05:52 PM) *

What cracks me up is how you expect me to understand your point of view with no kind of credible source... scratch that, any source. m a good debater. I've shown sites that confirm what I said. You, on the other hand, have not. Before you criticize my sources, show your own.

why would that crack you up that i expect you to understand my point of view when you already said multiple times that you agree with my point of view lol? you don't understand it but you've been saying how you agree that you don't personally see it as a sport? my bad, i didn't realize that you flat out agreeing with me meant you didn't understand my point of view.

QUOTE(Stuckie @ Mar 22 2009, 09:08 AM) *
Personally, I think sports should have some kind of physical activity. Not physically moving the pieces on the board.

QUOTE(Stuckie @ Mar 24 2009, 01:28 AM) *
I personally dont think chess should be considered a sport, but it is a sport.

i would THINK you understand me if you're the exact same thing.

how would you like me to provide a source of my opinion other than a definition? i don't think it's a sport because i think sports require physical activity. (refer to definitions) i think it's a game. my opinion is so completely obvious and clear that i don't get what you expect me to provide more than a definition.

QUOTE(Stuckie @ Mar 24 2009, 01:34 PM) *
Everybody knows Chess isn't physicaly demanding, so no one needs to give facts to support that.

then what the f*ck are you complaining about me not citing sources for? i'm saying sports should be physically demanding, and chess isn't, that's as simple as it is to me.
Uronacid
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Mar 24 2009, 03:17 PM) *
i never said it wasn't a credible source...

So, essentially, just stating your opinion? It really doesn't matter what anyone says. You'll forever believe that chess is not a sport because it doesn't contain rigorous physical activity. In that case, I disagree.

*shrugs*

Well this is pointless...

*leaves*
brooklyneast05
yeah, as i've already said.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Mar 22 2009, 10:31 AM) *
but it's whatever cause i'll never ever be convinced that this is a sport regardless of who claims it is.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Mar 21 2009, 09:05 AM) *

Uronacid
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Mar 24 2009, 04:20 PM) *
yeah, as i've already said.

Well, I'm glad this debate is over. *sigh*
sixfive
E SPORTS GOGOGOGOOGOGOG
shoryuken
EY stevii.. u gott yahoo chess..

BOSS
ima give Kobe a run for his money....by playing monopoly
sixfive
I'ma take Kobe's MVP titles via Nintendo WIi.
Tsukuyomi-No-Mokoto
Chess isn't a sport it's a board game
unless this is a way to show that people who have nothing better to do with their life other than sit around a table and move little plastic pieces around a checkered board excel in something
it's not a sport
sports are supposed to be physical work and it's used for exercise
i've never seen chess strengthen any part of your body.
yea it's a logical game and all that but being able to stratgize well is not gonna keep your body in shape and keep you healthy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.