Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ANIMAL COLLECTIVE
Forums > Community Center > Music
NoSex

Hey kids let’s pick up sticks let’s make out the sounds of our bones,
All dogs invited if everything feels wrong then we need a little bangin’ goin on.
1-2-3 arms for the trees self seekers vomiting doubts,
I changed all your words but my poltergeist concurs that words aren’t even necessary right now.

discography [1]:
Albums
* Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished (August 2000) - Animal
* Danse Manatee (July 2001) - Catsup Plate
* Hollinndagain (2002, 2006, live album) - St. Ives, Paw Tracks
* Campfire Songs (March, 2003) - Catsup Plate
* Here Comes the Indian (June 17, 2003) - Paw Tracks
* Sung Tongs (May 3, 2004) - FatCat Records
* Feels (October 18, 2005) - FatCat Records
* Strawberry Jam (September 10, 2007) - Domino Records (US #72)
* Merriweather Post Pavilion (January 20, 2009) - Domino Records (US #13, UK #26)
EPs
* Prospect Hummer (May 24, 2005) - FatCat Records
* People (October 23, 2006) - FatCat Records
* Water Curses (May 6, 2008) - Domino Record
Compilations
* Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished / Danse Manatee (October 6, 2003) - FatCat
Singles
* "Who Could Win a Rabbit" (July 19, 2004) - FatCat Records
* "Grass" (September 26, 2005) - FatCat Records
* "The Purple Bottle" (July 4, 2006) - White label
* "Peacebone" (August 21, 2007) - Domino Records
* "Fireworks" (November 5, 2007) - Domino Records
* "My Girls" (March 23, 2009) - Domino Records [13]
Splits
* Wastered (w/ Black Dice) (2004) - Paw Tracks

Solo and related:

Panda Bear:
* Panda Bear (1998, Soccer Star)
* Young Prayer (2004, Paw Tracks)
* "I'm Not/Comfy in Nautica" (single) (2005, UUAR)
* "Bro's" (single) (2006, Fat Cat Records)
* "Carrots" (single) (2007, Paw Tracks) (split 12" with Excepter)
* Person Pitch (2007, Paw Tracks)
* "Take Pills" (single) (2007, Paw Tracks)
Terrestrial Tones (Avey Tare and Eric Copeland of Black Dice):
* Blasted (2005, Psych-o-Path records)
* Oboroed/Circus Lives (2005, UUAR)
* Dead Drunk (2006, Paw Tracks)
Jane (Panda Bear and Scott Mou):
* Paradise (2002, Self-released)
* COcOnuts (2002, Psych-o-Path records)
* Berserker (2005, Paw Tracks)
Avey Tare:
* Crumbling Land (2003, Fat Cat Records) (split 12" with David Grubbs)
Avey Tare & Kría Brekkan:
* Pullhair Rubeye (2007, Paw Tracks)
paperplane
Hipster Runoff (which f*cking sucks) tried to list a discography of AC's albums and left off Feels. For f*ck's sake. I would think that one was pretty significant. And also my favorite, but there you go.

Damn, did not know that Strawberry Jam was 72. We should have stopped playing AC at my station a long time ago, then. We disregard anyone who makes the top 200...
heyo-captain-jack
Listening to it right now. Updating what I think about it as I go through the song.

0:00-1:00 Some really good noise rock, possibly an intro for a hardcore punk song.
1:00 - 1:30 What the f*ck am I listening to?
1:35-2:00 :suicide:
2:10 :suicide:
2:30 What the f*ck?
2:50 That's right, no more.
3:15 That crowd isn't into this song.
3:30 :suicide: for the third time
4:00 I guess the crowd was into the song. What the f*ck is wrong with them?
4:40 Sexy riff, but what was I listening to for the past 4:40?
5:10 What?
5:25 That's a nice guitar.
5:45 Is he molesting that microphone?
6:02 I don't know if I liked that or not. I like how quirky it was, but it may not have been the right kind of quirky.
Shelby-Zu
I

f*ckING

LOVE

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE <3
Shelby-Zu
I have their discography :] woot~ (on itunes, i dont actually own any of them physically)
if you even want to call it that, because some of their "albums" on my itunes just has like four songs, like People and Campfire Songs and Peacebone

My favourite though, is Strawberry Jam.

My favourite song by them changes every week >.<'
My favourite atm is Two Corvettes <3
mipadi
My girlfriend listens to Animal Collective and tried to convert me, but I just can't get into it. Too trendy for me. I like to listen to music that was cool 15-20 years ago -- that's why I still listen to Nirvana regularly.
Shelby-Zu
yeah, it helps because then its hard for their music to get old or overlistened (: x

QUOTE(mipadi @ Aug 6 2009, 10:02 PM) *
My girlfriend listens to Animal Collective and tried to convert me, but I just can't get into it. Too trendy for me. I like to listen to music that was cool 15-20 years ago -- that's why I still listen to Nirvana regularly.

too trendy?
yeah but nirvana.................too common. IMO.
mipadi
QUOTE(Shelby-Zu @ Aug 7 2009, 01:37 AM) *
yeah, it helps because then its hard for their music to get old or overlistened (: x
too trendy?
yeah but nirvana.................too common. IMO.

C'mon...no one listens to Nirvana anymore. It's so outdated they probably play it on the oldies stations.
mipadi
It's trendy as far as so-called "indie" bands go.

(I hate term "indie" but I can't think of a better term to use right now.)
mipadi
Yes. As Neal Stephenson writes in Snow Crash, the only things the US does better than anyone in the world are "music, movies, microcode (software), and high-speed pizza delivery".
Shelby-Zu
Excuse me,
but i still listen to Nirvana too,
and everyone around here does, and every other person here has a nirvana shirt....

you must live in bumf*ck africa if you think nirvana is outdated and unlistened to.....

secondly, this thread is about animal collective.
start a poll about nirvana if you must.
you/we are way off topic here.
superstitious
QUOTE(mipadi @ Aug 7 2009, 12:43 AM) *
C'mon...no one listens to Nirvana anymore. It's so outdated they probably play it on the oldies stations.

I listen to Nirvana on a nearly daily basis. Nirvana and The Pixies. And Radiohead. And Cake.
Shelby-Zu
QUOTE(superstitious @ Aug 7 2009, 08:36 PM) *
I listen to Nirvana on a nearly daily basis. Nirvana and The Pixies. And Radiohead. And Cake.

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
I APPROVE
-DressYourEyelids-
i prefer broken social scene to animal collective. [though i am totally for the wierd avant garde tunes]
i got to tour with BSS a bit. sorta sweet since emily haines is in the band.

oh. and radiohead is god.
Shelby-Zu
QUOTE(-DressYourEyelids- @ Aug 8 2009, 08:23 PM) *
i prefer broken social scene to animal collective. [though i am totally for the wierd avant garde tunes]
i got to tour with BSS a bit. sorta sweet since emily haines is in the band.

oh. and radiohead is god.

animal collective- have discography
radiohead- have discography
broken social scene- have discography

i hate how sometimes music is nothing new.
NoSex
QUOTE(mipadi @ Aug 6 2009, 11:02 PM) *

dude, are you retarded? first of all, animal collective is like ten years old. secondly, the popularity of a specific artist has no rational relationship to its quality or whatever -- essentially, you shouldn't refrain from listening to popular or hip music merely because it is popular and or hip. you should listen to music based on its individual & independent merits.

lastly, nirvana isn't "cool" anymore? are you f*cking kidding me. nirvana is probably the most popular and most lauded rock band of the entire 90's, and is still constantly on the radio, constantly in the media, and constantly on people's ipods.

QUOTE(mipadi @ Aug 7 2009, 12:43 AM) *

retarded.
karmakiller
QUOTE(NoSex @ Aug 16 2009, 08:24 PM) *
lastly, nirvana isn't "cool" anymore? are you f*cking kidding me. nirvana is probably the most popular and most lauded rock band of the entire 90's, and is still constantly on the radio, constantly in the media, and constantly on people's ipods.
retarded.
I was going to say that they still play Nirvana on the radio stations here, even the stations that don't typically play rock music. There are a lot of other bands from the 90's that don't even get radio play... maybe Nirvana was just a bad reference.
batman
QUOTE(NoSex @ Aug 16 2009, 09:24 PM) *
dude, are you retarded? first of all, animal collective is like ten years old. secondly, the popularity of a specific artist has no rational relationship to its quality or whatever -- essentially, you shouldn't refrain from listening to popular or hip music merely because it is popular and or hip. you should listen to music based on its individual & independent merits.

retarded.

agree 100%

About Animal Collective, however... I don't like or dislike them. I don't skip their songs when I shuffle upon them, but tbh, I don't actively choose to listen to them. My friend Austin introduced me to AC after we bonded on our mutual love of Of Montreal 4 years ago, but I just never really learned to appreciate them.
-DressYourEyelids-
QUOTE(Shelby-Zu @ Aug 8 2009, 10:45 PM) *
i hate how sometimes music is nothing new.

not true. the really experimental stuff just isn't well recieved.

fagget
i guess i'm not eccentric enough to like shit like this
Shelby-Zu
QUOTE(cokedupowls @ Aug 19 2009, 07:10 AM) *
i guess i'm not eccentric enough to like shit like this

music is based around the diversity in people, if you were made to like something else, than thats who you are. :) there is music out there for everyone <3
-DressYourEyelids-
QUOTE(Shelby-Zu @ Aug 19 2009, 09:53 AM) *
music is based around the diversity in people, if you were made to like something else, than thats who you are. :) there is music out there for everyone <3

thumbsup.gif well put.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.