Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nostalgia Reading
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
Comptine
What books did you read in your childhood that you always can go back to and reread over and over again? Books that you remember borrowing from the library and running back home to read? Ones you wrote book reports on and made dioramas and board games for?

I just picked up Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine again. Still an amazing and wonderful book. The romance in that is completely more believable and better written than Bella/Edward in Twilight.

I also can always get wrapped up by Roald Dahl's books.

Harry Potter is kinda childhood considering I really did grow up with Harry as the books came out.
brooklyneast05
harry potter for sure. i read those from 6th grade to college loool.gif

Flaunted
Harry Potter
The notebook
Blindness
Catcher in the rye
Chocolate war
Joanne
Patricia MacLachlan's Sarah, Plain and Tall and Skylark. Those were my favourite books back then.
Gigi
Harry Potter, Gossip Girl (although they're not really childhood books but I read them a LONG time ago), Princess Diaries, those Postman pop-up books, Berenstain Bears, Archie comics (does that count?)...and more. I read a lot when I was a kid.
shanaynay
Hatchet >_>...
Gigi
^ OMG you couldn't put a gun to my head and make me read Hatchet for a second time. I wanted to gouge my eyes out the entire time I was reading it. It didn't help that it was the FIFTH survival-themed book we had read that year.
Janette
Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia series, Patricia C. Wrede's The Enchanted Forest Chronicles and other shit.
brooklyneast05
you don't know what you're talkin about gigi. that was a badass book. i loved hatchet. i loved all gary paulsen's books actually.
superstitious
Anything by Shel Silverstein, particularly The Giving Tree.
Joanne
QUOTE(Gigi @ Jan 10 2009, 01:51 PM) *
^ OMG you couldn't put a gun to my head and make me read Hatchet for a second time. I wanted to gouge my eyes out the entire time I was reading it. It didn't help that it was the FIFTH survival-themed book we had read that year.

The only Gary Paulsen book I've ever read was Brian's Winter, and I pretty much wanted to shoot myself reading it. I cannot understand how this guy can write so many books about the same character surviving in the wilderness; there are only so many things you events you can write about without repeating yourself!!!!!!
berrypop90
Daughters Of The Moon series, I Was A Teenage Fairy, Junie B Jones, Harry Potter, This Lullaby, Berenstein Bears, The Rainbow Fish, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Archie Comics, All The Disney Stories...
Joanne
Oh man, I just remembered another one: STARGIRL!!! People used to get to the library first to borrow that book. Good stuff.
Eww
Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, ..Alex Rider series lol, I am the Messenger, Summer of the Swans
Gigi
QUOTE(Joannnnnne @ Jan 12 2009, 06:14 PM) *
Oh man, I just remembered another one: STARGIRL!!! People used to get to the library first to borrow that book. Good stuff.

I LOVED THAT BOOK!
dustbunny
series of unfortunate events (lemony snicket/whatever his real name was = clever clever clever)

THE GOLDEN COMPASS. loved that series so much. yeah I cried when the rabbit and hot air balloon guy from texas died. I ended up purchasing the books years after I read the series. woots

I remember stargirl and ella enchanted :O
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(doiink @ Jun 14 2009, 05:34 PM) *
THE GOLDEN COMPASS. loved that series so much. yeah I cried when the rabbit and hot air balloon guy from texas died. I ended up purchasing the books years after I read the series. woots

I remember stargirl and ella enchanted :O

This. I didn't cry when Lee (I think that's the aeronaut) and his daemon die, but I definitely thought it was sad.

The members above me listed pretty much all the books I read as a kid that I can still reread and not tire of, aside from Gary Paulsen's books. I never had to read The Hatchet in elementary or middle school, and from the sound of it, I should be glad.

Oh, Walk Two Moons and the Sisterhood the Traveling Pants books are also good.
-DressYourEyelids-
the chronicles of narnia [more specifically, the magician's nephew], the dog who wouldn't be, peter pan, dr. seuss... there are too many to recount.
pandemonium
Harry Potter laugh.gif
karmakiller
Dr. Seuss, Holes, Goosebumps...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.