Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is all volunteering created equal?
Forums > Community Center > Debate
xoxo_proud
Do you think that all types of volunteering are equally important or are some more important than others?

I was arguing with my mom earlier about this. I think all volunteering is equally important as long as it benefits others. Any other views?
brooklyneast05
errrr, not really. volunteering to rake the leaves in front of your school and pick up empty cans isn't really equal with volunteering to feed the homeless or rebuild houses in new orleans. i mean i think it's important to volunteer regardless, but some volunteering is much more beneficial than other types if you ask me. none is "useless" because not everyone has the same opportunities to volunteer for the same stuff ya know. still, i don't know that i'd say they are all equal.
Comptine
I think that's bullshit. Different things cannot be equal or else they would be the same thing.

Volunteering for your own school or church, only in the end benefits people immediately in your group. No one with drastically different circumstances gets benefited. Which is why I hate people who fulfill volunteer requirements by saying, "Oh, I volunteered for my school's fundraiser for the Winter Dance." Because really is just helping yourself.

As opposed to someone who goes, "Oh, I volunteered at a fundraiser to help an underfunded school."
dosomethin888
I think making the effort to get out there and do something for someone else or for the benefit of something is really good.
But I dont think comparing the ways in which to "give back" is really something worth talking about. Volunteering at all is great no matter what you are doing.

towntown2
In a large sense, volunteering is helping.
If what you do as a volunteer helps others--doesn't have to mean that you are drastically changing their lives--then you've done your job.
cakedout
i volunteer to save the world like in armageddon but there's no huge astroid coming our way yet
LittleMissSunshine
lolll ^ that was funny.

anywhooo, i don't think volunteering is all equal. some volunteering you have to work a lot harder than other volunteering services. it's quite different.
Gigi
No.

Are all paid jobs created equal? No. Volunteering is the same thing, it's just that you don't get paid. Obviously a politician plays a much more different role in society than a janitor does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.