Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riddle help ?
Forums > Community Center > Academia > School
xhugerific
err i need help with this riddle for school.
any help please ? (:

there is two identical doors. one leads to freedom, one leads to a vicious tiger. there is one guard guarding each door. you can ask only one question to one of the guards. one of the guards always tells the truth, the other always lies. what question should i ask and get the right door no matter which guard answers it?
Joanne
"What will the other guard say?"
Gigi
Guards from the irrational island of Logicland. Ironic, I know.
queen
just to elaborate on joanne's response:

you ask both of the guards "if i ask the other guard which door leads to freedom, what would he say?". whichever door they both indicate, you choose the other door.

breakdown:
- let's assume door #1 has freedom, and #2 has the tiger
- the guard who tells the truth will tell you that the guard who lies will indicate door #2
- the guard who lies he will tell you the opposite of what the guard who tells the truth would tell you, which would also be door #2
- therefore, go through door #1 for freedom.

another deviation would be if you ask "if i ask the other guard which door leads to the tiger, what would he say?", then choose the door they both indicate, 'cause it means the tiger, rather than freedom, in the other door.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.