Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ribena, know what you're drinking
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Food
Joanne
Can you believe my sister made me think that's what Kanye West said in "American Boy"? Man, I had to search up the lyrics to find out he actually said "white pino".

Edit: Wait, wtf. Kanye West DOES say Ribena according to Wikipedia. stubborn.gif

Anyway, has anyone ever tried this Ribena stuff? It was my favourite drink as a kid, and I even remember having a special way of drinking it. I always thought it was a Chinese thing ("lai bun nap") though. =\

I remember the bottle looking different and less winey, but I can't find a picture of the kind I got as a kid.
Gigi
I have a lot of memories of Ribena, yet I've never drank it. I know it better in its Chinese name than the English name (lay bun lap) too XD. When I was like 3-5, my brother and I would have to go to boring family dinners often when we were in Hong Kong, and since we were the only children in our family, we had to entertain ourselves. I always made my brother tell me the Ribena story, which involved a kid who drinks too much Ribena and farts a lot. I forgot what happens to him...

Random I know XD
Joanne
Haha, did your brother make the story up himself?? If he did, that's pretty impressive LOL

You know how Ribena is this really thick juice before you dilute it with water? Well my parents would always pour me a tiiiiny bit of Ribena and then tip the bottle so that there would be one gigantic drop at the very edge of the cup, and then fill the cup with water. Since we really liked the undiluted Ribena being super sweet, my sister and I would always try to save that drop for last, so we'd drink from the other side of the cup. Except we both had this habit of pushing the cup up to our faces when we drank, so we'd always end up with a Ribena mark on our foreheads. And then I'd get all upset I don't get to lick that drop off.
Gigi
^ LOL cute

Yeah it sounds a lot more like Ri-bena than White pino.

A commenter after some lyrics site:
it’s NOT White Pino, it’s Ribena!
i heard Estelle being interviewed on the radio, and she said a lot of people have been posting the lyrics as WHITE PINO, instead of RIBENA.
Ribena is clearly an English drink!

Use songmeanings.net for lyrics! Their lyrics are mostly always accurate, if not they get corrected quickly. Plus no[t many] annoying ads!
hi-C
I don't understand crazy English juices like that, that're all loose and you have to dilute them. I had some crazy tropical punch and didn't realize it had to be diluted... MAN, that was sweet.

But back to the topic at hand, I've never had Ribena. I saw it in the markets and at delis but English juices scare me.
gojira
wtf is that
Joanne
^ YOU'VE NEVER HAD/HEARD OF RIBENA??
gojira
nope and i'm chinese. i should be ashamed of myself
Gigi
You should.

Actually you aren't missing much, it's nothing special. I have never heard of it being mentioned in North America before, only in Hong Kong. So don't feel too bad ;)
hi-C
QUOTE(Gigi @ Jan 24 2009, 05:00 AM) *
I have never heard of it being mentioned in North America before, only in Hong Kong.
And in the UK!
Joanne
Hehe, I have a Ribena kids bowl where there's a picture of the (ex-?)Ribena mascot (a grape) riding a horse. Will post a picture later.
brooklyneast05
i've never heard of this junk either
hi-C
I don't think it's a grape; it's probably a currant. Ribena is black currant flavor. I'm pretty sure it's a close relative to grapes though.
carolannexbh
I've never heard of this.
Joanne

I don't know how or when I got it... =\
gojira
LOL THAT BOWL IS SO CUTE. why is there a leaf there? :o
Joanne
They're keeping it PG!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.