Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's quit...
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
Brighter
I went there.

Something I think the teenage population needs to learn is that there are other books out there.
Like The Book Theif, personal favourite of mine.
Slightly confusing but worth it.

I'm not knocking Twilight. Just its cultish following.

Who's with me?

please don't hurt me.
brooklyneast05

if young people are reading, i don't think we should knock that either way ya know? i personally think there are about..oh, i duno, A BILLION, books better than twilight but if that's what they want to read it's what they want to a read. i know people who weren't very avid readers but got into twilight and since have started reading other series.

plus i don't think it's the whole teenage population or anything. it's just a big chunk of girls for the most part imo.

hopefully it'll make them like reading, and then they'll move on to something bigger and better.

superstitious
I'm probably the only one hearing I don't know how to quit you Edward when reading this topic. Hmm.

Look, it's glorified fan fiction. It's like the high calorie candy bar you shouldn't eat but feel helpless to do so at times. Personally, I'd rather have a slice of Twi cheese than read the popular Tolkien plagiarism that is known as the Inheritance Cycle series.

To each their own.
Flaunted
Guilty pleasure.

Sorry. I usually never read so atleast I'm picking up something besides just school work articles.
Tomates
im 16 and my mom is actually the one who made me read twilight.
I finished reading White Ghost Girls which was an excellent excellent book and it makes me want to read it again and i usually never want to read books a second time.

Twilight i will admit wasnt as bad as i thought it was, i think after having a book that was so serious in the writing and everything it was kinda nice to have a book that wasnt really serious and had some of the fantasy fun in it.
marzipan
Like JC said, I think it's great that more people are reading because of it. I have a few best friends who never read any books before it, and now they love it. They're asking me for other book series that I think they'd like after experiencing Twilight.

I can understand where you get the cultish following idea, though. XD There are some poeple who take it too far, and there are some fangirls who do nothing but obsess over Edward Cullen.

But I think it's safe to say that a majority of the fans love it for what it is: a great fantasy/romance book that sucks you in for its cheese as well as its other endearing qualities. Not just a book with hot vampires. hahaha
TruthfullyUnwritten
it's romeo and juliet with a little bit of blood. ;p I loved Romeo and Juliet, the best part of the whole thing was that the main character's in the end died, tragic and heart felt deaths.

Twilight, to which I must admit, was good for the time it came out. I don't think people really started liking it till about a year after it was first released, but that's just how people are. We as a nation like to glorify the idea of vampires, it's just the times I guess.

Oh well, I liked it, it was a good read. But not something I would pick up again.
Headlock
I myself am not a fan of the book, at all. But, as long as teens are reading, I don't mind. I'd rather stand a girl talk to me about how good the Twilight books are instead of a girl talking to me about how good "The Hills" is.

I dislike a huge amount of things about the books, especially how Stephanie likes to constantly remind the reader of how beautiful and 'sparkly' Edward is, but like I pointed out before; as long as teens and young adults read, I'm all good.

Though I'll stick to Paulo Coehlo and Carlos Ruiz Zafon for now.
Blyat
im not as interested in twilight
like the more "adult" books i read

im a picky reader though. i read white ghost girls and snow flower and the secret fan which possibly are a little more of college books

but theres nothing else so im reading twilight
anyways
i agree with you alot of teens are like "oh im all twilight/stephenie meyer books only" its quite annoying
Amaranthus
I'm actually quite enjoying the series, and will be sad when I finish the last one in a couple more days.

And Personally, The Book Thief was so boring.
Brighter
Well, it is good that people are reading because of it, and they're quite good books, but mainly I think the obsession has overstepped the line.

That's my problem with it, not the actual books themselves.

Or maybe, as a few of my friends tell me always, I'm just a cynic of anything excessively popular.

And not a fan of Edward. In the beginning he was fantastic, but got more annoying every book until I wanted to throw some holy water on him by Breaking Dawn.

^ ^ Ily the book theif. It was beautiful.
Gigi
I'm hearing a lot of "It's good that at least people are reading SOMETHING".

I don't know, if it means reading something as insignificant as Twilight in literary terms, then I don't know how at least reading SOMETHING is justified. I'm not bashing on people who like the books, you all know my massive obsession with Harry Potter, but it's not really a reason to support the so-called cultlike following behind the books. If it's an addicting book, then it's a addicting. It's by no means a substitute for books of real substance. The same goes for the entire Harry Potter series and The Da Vinci Code.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Gigi @ Nov 30 2008, 01:24 AM) *
I'm hearing a lot of "It's good that at least people are reading SOMETHING".

I don't know, if it means reading something as insignificant as Twilight in literary terms, then I don't know how at least reading SOMETHING is justified. I'm not bashing on people who like the books, you all know my massive obsession with Harry Potter, but it's not really a reason to support the so-called cultlike following behind the books. If it's an addicting book, then it's a addicting. It's by no means a substitute for books of real substance. The same goes for the entire Harry Potter series and The Da Vinci Code.

HARRY POTTER IS REAL SUBSTANCE.............

cakedout
i read text messages everyday, dont gimme that at least people are reading shit!!
Gigi
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 29 2008, 09:26 PM) *

LOL I won't deny that since I love my HP, but a lot of people don't think so. Plus, even for an HP lover like me, I must admit there are more important works of literature out there.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Gigi @ Nov 30 2008, 01:30 AM) *
LOL I won't deny that since I love my HP, but a lot of people don't think so. Plus, even for an HP lover like me, I must admit there are more important works of literature out there.

NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT THAN HARRY POTTER. don't even try to diss a 's harry potter as not a great literary work.

wellllllllllllll, i still think reading something is better than reading nothing. i mean is better for someone to read twlight or watch hannah montana for four hours a day? mellow.gif
Joss-eh-lime
if kids are reading, then that is just a blessing in itself.

i have heard enough people tell me that they "dont read" to last me a lifetime.
cakedout
i dont read either, in fact, wtf is c-r-e-a-t-e-b-l-o-g
shanaynay
QUOTE(marzipan @ Nov 29 2008, 09:17 PM) *
and there are some fangirls who do nothing but obsess over Edward Cullen.

That pretty much sums up most of our school...
hypnotique
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 29 2008, 11:26 PM) *

HELL YEAH

HP>TWILIGHT

Harp
i read this book in the 6th grade, i'm almost positive.
that was a while back, and NOBODY knew about it then.
it's just one of those things...as more books came out, more people started reading them.
and now that there is a movie, people are crazy about them.
people just want to do/watch/read/whatever everyone else does.

reminds me of the Vitamin Water craze.
it was ok at first...but then it was annoying.
hypnotique
^I love vitamin water but i hate that people actually have entire layouts on myspace dedicated to it.
superstitious
People have layouts dedicated to Vitamin water?

:p (Ps, did you see Seth on Heroes?)
lovescream
I agree that it's best not to push people away from reading this, although I am getting tired of the phase.

75% of my friends who NEVER EVER read books (not even ones assigned for school), are actually reading the Twilight series. And some of them even have taken interest in reading The Host or other vampire books, so it's definitely good that they're finally reading after they've told me that they despise reading.
shanaynay
if only they got interested in a writer that didn't suck.
Brighter
QUOTE(YukkaPukka @ Dec 2 2008, 04:58 AM) *
reminds me of the Vitamin Water craze.
it was ok at first...but then it was annoying.

Off topic but...
The thing that gets me about Vitamin Water is that it tastes the same as Gatorade/Powerade/Nutrient Water but costs a dollar more for the same size.

Okay. Rant over. Back to topic.
xoxo_proud
As long as people are reading who cares? Personally I don't think Twilight is that great. Not good enough to make me want to read the third and fourth book anyway.
kaidee

I am a teenager and I read.
Infact I love reading :)
I think the thing that draws teenagers into twilight,
is the love story... not that its the best book ever written.
technicolour
LOL She said it wasn't the best book ever written.

It isn't the best book ever. I believe that it would be almost impossible to say just one book is the best when there are so many out there.
LittleMissSunshine
so, i use to think twilight was an annoying obsessed topic just like harry potter when it first came out. i hated it, not harry potter but of twilight. i think it's just that since the movie came out.. like a bunch of teenagers went PSYCHO! lolz, i saw it, and i'm that sucker who can't tell the difference between the movie and the book.. unless i was into it like harry potter, the notebook, etc. anyways; i read twilight i thought it was more intresting than the movie. and i was intrigued on how it was. not because of the love story.. but of how stephenie meyer wrote it. i'm not saying it's the BEST BOOK EVER. it's just like a crazy obsessed teenage book.. like about vampires and werevolves. science fiction, is intriging.. like harry potter all mystical and magic-y.

no difference, it'll calm down. lol just like harry potter.
Gigi
I don't know, would I like Twilight if I'm totally not into all that vampire and werewolf shit? Like I have never once watched Buffy because I didn't care for it. Because I refuse to believe that millions of teenagers are ALL into that vampire and werewolf shit.
gojira
i did watch buffy, but not because i was into vampires and shit. i gave it a shot because i was out of shit to read, being hobo and all. i'm not sure if you ever watched dramas gigi but that's pretty much explains why i got sucked into it. reading about this so-called perfect guy felt the same as watching one act on screen. yeah there might not be such a thing, but a girl can hope and dream? i held no expectations before i read it, but i did think the vampire aspect of it was silly. haha i guess i will have to share my edward cullen fantasy with all the other teeny boppers :x
Gigi
^ Aw that's cute :)

Why yes I do watch dramas, but I always thought it was that I had a thing for Korean guys. But maybe not.

I'm sure if I started reading Twilight I would become obsessed so I sort of don't wanna go there laugh.gif
Comptine
I was super into Twilight and New Moon. Then, it just dropped when I read Eclipse.

Stephenie Meyer is actually a very bad writer. If you paid attention to the actual literature value, aside from the story line, she lacks the basics of a good writer. And from what I heard she churned out for Breaking Dawn, no matter how interesting the idea of werewolves and vampires are, she just pulled shit out of her ass. Which annoys me because there was so much potential for the story idea.
LittleMissSunshine
yeah, well i guess it's just a phaseeee.
LoveToMySilas
I have to admit, I was a little biased at first because I refused to read Twilight because it had become the "it" thing and I was trying to stay true to HP. But eventually, I figured I'd give the series a chance and see what all the hubub was about. I'm not too fond of the way she writes, but I can't deny that she has a good storyline. I just makes me curious because I've always liked the supernatural/fantasy and I've never read about a romance between two people quite like this. shrug.gif If J.K Rowling and Stephenie Meyer fused, it'd be better.
LittleMissSunshine
i agreeee ^ :]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.